Default My one wish for Thor Ragnarok...

I'm a huge fan of Planet Hulk (Respect for you, Greg Pak. Much Respect!), and I'm an equally huge fan of 1987's "Mighty Thor" #385 (penciled by Erik Larson and co-written by Jim Shooter and Stan Lee), though I appreciate the stories in very different ways. And after years of internal debate I've finally decided that I'm an even bigger fan of "What If" #45. Yes, "What If" is non-canon, but I concede that to let both the Hulk and Thor completely off the chain, as well as writer Peter Gillis, for whose brilliance I am forever grateful, you might just need to go non-canon. What an incredible story! Not only was Peter's idea just flat-out awesome, but everything about the comic was brilliantly executed. You can literally hear this book. Within it, the scenario leading up to the climactic battle is conceptually horrific and terrifying. Thor, being separated from Mjolnir, had mere seconds to either (1) defeat and kill a fully enraged and tormented, murderous Hulk in hand to hand combat or (2) revert to the mortal form of Donald Blake to be killed by the Hulk himself (and consequently allow the insane, fully-amped Hulk to continue his unstoppable killing spree). My younger, more innocent eyes were terrified to see that Hulk earlier snapped the neck of Ben Grimm and subsequently crushed Iron-Man, killing them both among countless others. And faced with the immediate Kill-the-Berserk-Hulk-with-your-bare-hands-or-die-and-allow-the-Hulk-to-continue-killing scenario, the fight ended with a dead Hulk in mere seconds. But Thor did not relish the victory. He was disturbed on numerous levels, and he departed both saddened and mystified. That's the picture of a Mighty Thor we've not yet fully realized or yet had opportunity to see in the MCU. I'm all for an epic and entertaining intergalactic buddy-movie, and yet I hope in the midst of it we do finally get to see a worthy level of intensity and combat that fans of both icons can truly relish within the Gladiator arena of Sakaar. Let 'em off the chain, Taika! Both of them.

Two more things:
    (1) "What If" #45, aka "WHAT IF THE HULK WENT BERSERK" is appropriately named. The word Berserk is of Old Norse origin, denoting a wild Norse Warrior who fought with frenzy. It's a fitting title given the story and its conclusion.

(2) My favorite Thor quote of all time was uttered in in "What If" #45 after Thor witnessed the Hulk's crushing murder of Tony Stark/Iron-Man. Thor's response, "There are those in the cosmos who do not die, monster! And one has pledged to halt thee!"

Quote Originally Posted by verisimilitude View Post
    I'm a huge fan of Planet Hulk (Respect for you, Greg Pak. Much Respect!), and I'm an equally huge fan of 1987's "Mighty Thor" #385 (penciled by Erik Larson and co-written by Jim Shooter and Stan Lee), though I appreciate the stories in very different ways. And after years of internal debate I've finally decided that I'm an even bigger fan of "What If" #45. Yes, "What If" is non-canon, but I concede that to let both the Hulk and Thor completely off the chain, as well as writer Peter Gillis, for whose brilliance I am forever grateful, you might just need to go non-canon. What an incredible story! Not only was Peter's idea just flat-out awesome, but everything about the comic was brilliantly executed. You can literally hear this book. Within it, the scenario leading up to the climactic battle is conceptually horrific and terrifying. Thor, being separated from Mjolnir, had mere seconds to either (1) defeat and kill a fully enraged and tormented, murderous Hulk in hand to hand combat or (2) revert to the mortal form of Donald Blake to be killed by the Hulk himself (and consequently allow the insane, fully-amped Hulk to continue his unstoppable killing spree). My younger, more innocent eyes were terrified to see that Hulk earlier snapped the neck of Ben Grimm and subsequently crushed Iron-Man, killing them both among countless others. And faced with the immediate Kill-the-Berserk-Hulk-with-your-bare-hands-or-die-and-allow-the-Hulk-to-continue-killing scenario, the fight ended with a dead Hulk in mere seconds. But Thor did not relish the victory. He was disturbed on numerous levels, and he departed both saddened and mystified. That's the picture of a Mighty Thor we've not yet fully realized or yet had opportunity to see in the MCU. I'm all for an epic and entertaining intergalactic buddy-movie, and yet I hope in the midst of it we do finally get to see a worthy level of intensity and combat that fans of both icons can truly relish within the Gladiator arena of Sakaar. Let 'em off the chain, Taika! Both of them.

Two more things:
    (1) "What If" #45, aka "WHAT IF THE HULK WENT BERSERK" is appropriately named. The word Berserk is of Old Norse origin, denoting a wild Norse Warrior who fought with frenzy. It's a fitting title given the story and its conclusion.

(2) My favorite Thor quote of all time was uttered in in "What If" #45 after Thor witnessed the Hulk's crushing murder of Tony Stark/Iron-Man. Thor's response, "There are those in the cosmos who do not die, monster! And one has pledged to halt thee!"
    Your one wish is Thor Kills Hulk with his bare hands? Well both are in infinity war so unlikely.

Personally i prefer my Hulk to be the thankless hero. Thats why planet hulk was good it turned his thankless hero theme on its head.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Thor and the Hulk are teaming up to fight Hela. Thor isn't going to brutalize Hulk beyond a few quippy fist fights.

Hulk isn't a beast of pure destruction.

Extraordinary Member

The thing I want the most from the Thor/Hulk fight is just that it's awesome. The premise alone is cool, Thor and Hulk forced to fight each other in an alien gladitorial arena. Now they just have to nail the presentation.

After that I want all kind of fun and crazy space shenanigans.

And Cate Blanchett's Hela is looking like she'll be another great phase 3 villain.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Hela is evidently going to be the substitute for Death in the MCU and hook up with Thanos, watch it happen.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Hela is evidently going to be the substitute for Death in the MCU and hook up with Thanos, watch it happen.
    That is a very popular theory, yes.

Thanos and Hela have even hooked up in the Unworthy Thor comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    The thing I want the most from the Thor/Hulk fight is just that it's awesome. The premise alone is cool, Thor and Hulk forced to fight each other in an alien gladitorial arena. Now they just have to nail the presentation.

After that I want all kind of fun and crazy space shenanigans.

And Cate Blanchett's Hela is looking like she'll be another great phase 3 villain.
    From the trailer i get a feeling Hulk wins theyre arena fight. Thor seemed embarassed

Personally already having the concept of Asgard's Ragnarok and Hulk's Planet Hulk merged into one to me felt like a cheap gimmick. Because Ragnarok should be much more than some alien glatiatorial competition, it's the End of days for the Nine Worlds. And Planet Hulk while it has gladiator fights, it ends up with having a super-intelligent scary Hulk wanting to invase Planet Earth and I don't think we're gonna have that.

My main wish is that it won't turn into a comedy show like GOTG. You have a badass situation with the two most badass Marvel characters, if they don't take advantage of that, it's gonna be a missed opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    Personally already having the concept of Asgard's Ragnarok and Hulk's Planet Hulk merged into one to me felt like a cheap gimmick. Because Ragnarok should be much more than some alien glatiatorial competition, it's the End of days for the Nine Worlds. And Planet Hulk while it has gladiator fights, it ends up with having a super-intelligent scary Hulk wanting to invase Planet Earth and I don't think we're gonna have that.

My main wish is that it won't turn into a comedy show like GOTG. You have a badass situation with the two most badass Marvel characters, if they don't take advantage of that, it's gonna be a missed opportunity.
    Hella wanta to destroy asgard and all the Asgardians it appears. Oh and Surtur comes into it somehow. Its Ragnarok. The gladiator match is gonna be a small part to bring thors team together

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post

I hear you. It's going to 100% be way too much comedy. Thor and the Hulk are both such great characters, I'd love to see a more serious adventure flick with them. It doesnt have to be a farce to be fun and entertaining, ya know?

At least Cate Blanchett will be looking good and acting the shit out of it. She's just always so great.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 09-07-2017 at 06:46 PM.

BANNED

I like how this thread makes me think of that Steve Martin sketch on SNL.

Mighty Member

I wish that there was a meeting between Thor and his biological mother, Jord aka Gaea.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.