Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why are the 90's so Disliked?

Sorry if there is already a thread to this but I want to post a thread to this in both the DC and Marvel sections. I always see so much hate for the 90's online over lenticular covers and the comic speculative boom and collapse but there was also many highlights some I'd higher than the ones today and Marvel had a lot of good in the 90's.

The X-Men and their connected books were going high and had storylines like the Legacy Virus and Age of Apocalypse.

Spider-Man for any lows was pretty great in the early 90's and for all his hate I'd take Ben Reilly Over OMD and BND. Also Parker and Osborn's return were good IMO.

Avengers and West Coast Avengers had some good storylines then there was the Waid/Garney run of Cap and whatever missteps lead to the great Heroes Return relaunch which was fantastic especially Kurt Busiek on Avengers with Pérez.

I also consider the Tom Defalco and Paul Ryan run on FF my 4th favorite under Lee and Kirby, Byrne, and Hickman but right above Waid

Also lines like 2099 and MC2 came out of the 90's.

I just don't see why the 90's get so much disdain they really weren't bad IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Sorry if there is already a thread to this but I want to post a thread to this in both the DC and Marvel sections. I always see so much hate for the 90's online over lenticular covers and the comic speculative boom and collapse but there was also many highlights some I'd higher than the ones today and Marvel had a lot of good in the 90's.

The X-Men and their connected books were going high and had storylines like the Legacy Virus and Age of Apocalypse.

Spider-Man for any lows was pretty great in the early 90's and for all his hate I'd take Ben Reilly Over OMD and BND. Also Parker and Osborn's return were good IMO.

Avengers and West Coast Avengers had some good storylines then there was the Waid/Garney run of Cap and whatever missteps lead to the great Heroes Return relaunch which was fantastic especially Kurt Busiek on Avengers with Pérez.

I also consider the Tom Defalco and Paul Ryan run on FF my 4th favorite under Lee and Kirby, Byrne, and Hickman but right above Waid

1990-1995 was good. IMO, 1996-1999 is where it got very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    1990-1995 was good. IMO, 1996-1999 is where it got very bad.
    Even then had good stuff with Heroes Return and the runs that Avengers, Captain America, FF, Iron Man, and even Thor had afterwards.

Even with Heroes Reborn before you had good in the main MCU with the fallout of the heroes missing and Zero Tolerance.

BANNED

The 90s are the best era IMO

Carlos Pacheco, Joe mad, Sal Larrocca, Mark Bagley, Jim lee, Kuberts, Steve Epting, Ferry, Bachelo and Ringo on art

We got some great versions of classics from Ben Reilly, Daredevil in armour, heroes reborn, davids Hulk, 2099 versions etc

We got the X-men the world KNOWS and loves

Onslaught, infinity war and Heroes reborn the return.

New ongoings from Thunderbolts, Heroes for hire, Quicksilver, Venom, Fantastic force, force works, Generation X, War machine

And heroes were heroes, marvel universe felt in sync and felt united

It was a glorious time to be alive.
    Last edited by The BaRoN; 09-07-2017 at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The BaRoN View Post
    The 90s are the best era IMO

Carlos Pacheco, Joe mad, Sal Larrocca, Mark Bagley, Jim lee, Kuberts, Steve Epting, Ferry, Bachelo and Ringo on art

We got some great versions of classics from Ben Reilly, Daredevil in armour, heroes reborn, davids Hulk, 2099 versions etc

We got the X-men the world KNOWS and loves

Onslaught, infinity war and Heroes reborn the return.

New ongoings from Thunderbolts, Heroes for hire, Quicksilver, Venom, Fantastic force, force works, Generation X, War machine

And heroes were heroes, marvel universe felt in sync and felt united

It was a glorious time to be alive.
    Can't believe I forgot about the Thunderbolts they there one of my favorite books.

Joe Kelly's run on Deadpool, in retrospect, was remarkably influential.

BANNED

Everybody's favorite era is someone else's low point.

If you were an older fan, the '90s were pretty depressing with occasional glimmers of hope.

The emphasis on artists lent an "all style, no substance" feel to mainstream comics.

But if you were a kid just getting into comics, I'm sure it was a glorious time.

Every era has its own fanbase, as it should be.

There's a good overview of the whole glorious mess and its ripple effects here (7 video segments at 15 minutes each).

Short version is that money from the speculator boom helped pump a lot of $$$ into the industry. There was a glut of creativity and innovation that came with, but also a lot of short-sighted gimmicks and excess that wound up driving the industry into the ground. As with a lot of things, the parts that caused the collapse come to mind a lot more quickly than the good bits.

Because everyone threw crap out there because there was a boom going on. HEY! YOu can form a sentence! Here, Write "Cool Hero of the Month". And Marvel and DC learned to start appeasing their talent so they let them take over and sometimes that didn't always pan out. Some people should only draw, some should only write and some should NEVER be in charge of anything...Sure there were lots of diamonds but the weeds were really tall...And then we had Clones...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    And Ed McGuinness on art, another great artist of the era.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post

I will say this for the speculator boom: it got casuals into the LCS.

More so than even the MCU has managed to do.

I think it really depends on what Marvel property you were a fan of. The Xbook were at their peak in the 90's, the FF...not so much
    (tho people now remember those stories with more fondness).

We also got New Warriors and Thunderbolts.

It was a good time to be a team book fan in general.

....but watching the Avengers try to ape X-mens cool factor got kinda painful at times, I must admit).

The 90's is where I was introduced to comicbooks so I am a bit biased in my liking of that era. I will say though that there were some bad storylines during the 90s (special mention goes to the Clone Saga) and some rough artwork, however for the most part I think that the 90's was a gem of interesting and fun characters and plots, it introduced me to Carnage and the New Warriors, and Ben Reilly...and my love for Spider-Man in general bloomed in the 90s.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coin Biter View Post
    Looking at it now, it has some very modern sensibilities. It mocks much of what was going on around it, was violent, but was also very funny and full of the heart that makes Deadpool such a great character. It's weird to think about how different modern comics might be without it.

Spectacular Member Doctor-Comics's Avatar

As a longbeard (early 40s here), I remember the 90s as a time of lenticular covers and pinched noses.

While there was certainly some good work being done, in general, there's a lot of forgettable, down right ugly books that came out of that time period. Everyone had guns, pouches, spikes, and blades, and if you were drawn by Liefeld, the weight of all that gear crushed your feet out of existence.

The best books that came out of that period--some of which, like Thunderbolts and New Warriors and Sandman--are noteworthy because they resisted many of the popular trends of the time.

At the same time, Marvel was making some really poor business decisions apart from the main comic business. In their attempt to become a locus of entertainment, they expanded into other business spaces that were not as stable (and to be less stable than comics is really saying something). Marvel's bankruptcy was less about comic books and more about all that other stuff, compounded with the 90s comic boom then turning into a bust.

The 90s remain positively influential, due to the rise of creator-owned properties, but marked a sad turning point in the stories. Where previously, heroes rarely killed, the new 90s heroes all used lethal force to bloody effect. I know some people dig that, and to each his own, but that's not my bag. Creators, I think, learned the wrong lessons from Dark Knight Returns, V for Vendetta, and Watchmen.
    Last edited by Doctor-Comics; 09-08-2017 at 09:42 AM.
    "The history of comics is not a long one, and it's not unknowable."--Neil Gaiman

I don't think the ninties are as hated by the readers as much as the current stock of fans who became writers at Marvel hate the 90's.

The Thunderbolts, The New Warriors, The X-books were done well in the 90's.

as for DC disliking the 90's they Absorbed Wild Storm part of Image which was Very Very 90's. Fathom and Witch Blade/ Darkness survived as well.

I think its Joe Quesada and fans turned writers of similar age (Bendis, Fraction ect.) who hate the 90's.