View Poll Results: Are You Happy With the Current Marvel Climate?

Voters
245. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

72 29.39%
  • NO

173 70.61%
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    There are books I like
    There are books I don't like
    There are books which seem ok but I don't have time or budget for.

rise and repeat for the next dozen threads that beat this drum.
    this. only this.

Guys the please read the rules of the thread. If you would like to debate people post take it some where else please.

This thread is specifically to talk about the things you do and do not like about the current conditions with Marvels publishing line. You can post in agreement to expand upon points with any post but you can not engage in disagreement of a post.

The purpose of the rules is to keep the thread clean so others can come in and understand both sides. It is also established to avoid the usual battles of peoples egos that dilute any message a poster may have. If you can not handle the rules of the thread post in another thread that does not have the rules I have laid out.

THANK YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Folks, keep it about the comics (as the OP originally intended). And just because you don't like a comic doesn't mean you get to speak rudely or insultingly about the creators involved. Keep it civil.
    Thank you for keeping a watchful eye out and maintaining the peace. Your assistance in this thread is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 09-22-2017 at 04:56 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Yagamifire View Post
    188 people vs Marvel's monthly sales is actually HIGHLY statistically relevant...y'know, cuz Marvel moves so few units.

Holy crap though you sound SUPER triggered by how absolutely blown out Marvel is getting in this poll.
    In the month of August 6.59 million copies total were sold, Marvel's unit share of that is 39.52% (2,604,358 or there about). Assuming the average person buys 6 comics a month that means so far this poll of 188 has covered 0.043% of the Marvel costumer base for August and 0.017% of the entire comic costumer base for the same time. That is far from HIGHLY statistically relevant not even being close to 0.1%.

As for the "Current Marvel Climate" they are by far the top selling publisher in comics and has had that spot for many years. Logically it is safe to assume that a very large number of people are happy with the current climate. If that is not the case there are a lot of people out there spending money on something that they don't like. Of course there are going to be those that disagree, there always will be no matter the "climate". On the internet where people come to complain... because internet... you are more likely to see a disproportionate responses on the negative side. So a debate of the individual perceptions of the current state of Marvel is great and what goes on in these forums daily. Any Idea that Marvel should take notice of this thread and alter its publishing strategy to fit the poll
    and comments is some what absurd.

Do I like every thing that Marvel does? No and, I never have and never will like "every thing" they do. With Johnny coming back as the Ghost Rider in the SOV, Rich and the NOVA corp. with GotG, Jean Grey's return, Steve about to be the only Captain America, story lines like the Death of the Mighty Thor, The Search for Tony Stark, Ben and Johnny teaming for 1/2 of the fantastic four, and others... Does any one really know what the "climate" of Marvel will be in 6 month? My opinion is, where Marvel is heading seems really promising and seems to address some of many are saying they want to see. Which, how things are in the comic industry, may have been planed all along.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    In the month of August 6.59 million copies total were sold, Marvel's unit share of that is 39.52% (2,604,358 or there about). Assuming the average person buys 6 comics a month that means so far this poll of 188 has covered 0.043% of the Marvel costumer base for August and 0.017% of the entire comic costumer base for the same time. That is far from HIGHLY statistically relevant not even being close to 0.1%.

As for the "Current Marvel Climate" they are by far the top selling publisher in comics and has had that spot for many years. Logically it is safe to assume that a very large number of people are happy with the current climate. If that is not the case there are a lot of people out there spending money on something that they don't like. Of course there are going to be those that disagree, there always will be no matter the "climate". On the internet where people come to complain... because internet... you are more likely to see a disproportionate responses on the negative side. So a debate of the individual perceptions of the current state of Marvel is great and what goes on in these forums daily. Any Idea that Marvel should take notice of this thread and alter its publishing strategy to fit the poll
    and comments is some what absurd.
    Your post has some serious incorrect assumptions.

Firstly, you assume that "copies sold" are somehow "copies purchased". Massively incorrect for the comic market. A considerable percentage of Marvel (especially Marvel!) comics go without being purchased and just sit on shelves.

Secondly, it's interesting you would "assume" how much the average buyer buys. That is...an interesting way to do statistics.

Thirdly, .05% (granting you the two previous erroneous assertions...) with a 70% result on a 50/50 poll is absolutely statistically relevant. I mean if .05% isn't statistically relevant I guess 0.0007% would be absolutely worthless.

Except Pew Research has used that exact sample size.

Oops.

Now, I'm not saying that this is anything like a random survey or a Pew Research-conducted study...

I'm just saying that your dismissal of .05% (which I think I've already explained how that isn't even an accurate number and is artificially low) as being "far from HIGHLY statistically relevant" is...just not true. If we can derive information about the entire US population from a survey of 500 people (and we can and have...) then .05% can be absolutely statistically relevant and to say otherwise is to be unfamiliar with sampling.

I, for instance, used to be part of a team tailoring customer service responses for 80 million wireless customers based on feedback from sampling ONE STORE. That's a few hundred surveys being statistically relevant to tens of MILLIONS of people. Compare to about 200 people for...what? 2 million at best? Guess what happened when we rolled out the system to EVERY store? The information stayed in line with what we had sampled within a very small margin of error.

Furthermore, we are dealing with a comic message board here with what you'd call "core" customers...your base...those people likely to be your net promoters. If we were to do a net promoter score of people that consider themselves comic book customers in regards to promoting Marvel comics? Well with a 70% no response rate in this thread I suspect the results would be dire. Now, of course, the irony is that some people that don't understand how business growth works will tell you "Ackshually it doesn't matter what they say because they'll keep buying" and yes that is true...to a point. Unfortunately, what it means is that your core audience, your base customers, are not spreading positive word of mouth. It means your net promoter score is terrible. A low net promoter score is indicative of low customer satisfaction and, worst of all, bad word of mouth from those core customers to potential customers.

A 70% rejection on a board of your core audience means a promoter environment where your product is being verbally destroyed by those that non-customers trust to have an informed opinion about your product. It means your customer base speaks ill of your product. Since we know word of mouth is absolutely the most important method of promotion for a consumable product this is a very VERY bad thing for Marvel comics at the moment.

Dismissing all of this info and white-washing it is how company's utterly fold in on themselves. Ignoring what your core customers say about you is how you never gone new, long-standing customers. Ignoring your net promoter score is how you destroy your business and its potential for longevity.

What would I know though? I was only part of the team that helped get the customer service method working for the company with the highest customer sat rating in its industry.
    Last edited by Yagamifire; 09-22-2017 at 01:06 PM.

*major caveat at the bottom

Just as a quick breakdown, a 70% no would suggest Marvel's promoter score is somewhere in the absolute dregs. It would put their score in the negatives. Terrible for a company to be in. Dire really as it means the majority of people familiar with your product (that is, Marvels comics themselves not their properties) are speaking ill of it.

My previous company had a promoter score of around 60+ (when adjusted for their own...wonky methodology). This is VERY good. Again, highest score in its industry.

Marvel would probably do well to do some surveys to see what people are saying about their books. I suspect they don't want to, however, because they don't want to hear the bad news.'

The caveat I mentioned is that we'd want to see these tests done properly and with a layer of separation. In fact, asking on a random board from a random person (that is, not the company themselves asking) is more sound than Marvel running their own survey because of the bias that would create in feedback. We'd also want to see how these numbers stack up with other companies (DC, Image, IDW, Udon, etc) across the industry to give us real benchmarks.

That comic companies don't do this sort of thing seems to be another indication of the poor awareness they have, in general, of how to promote, support and expand their brand.

BANNED

So apparently the Marvel and DC personnel have been caught plotting to harass youtubers and their "friends" at comic conventions. This is indefensible.

https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2017/0...conservatives/

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    So apparently the Marvel and DC personnel have been caught plotting to harass youtubers and their "friends" at comic conventions. This is indefensible.

Wow.....

So is it a policy " if your not with us slience them"? What in the world is going on in the Big Two now of days.....

I've seen a video of that guy before....while I don't agree with him on his stance in it, I don't believe it is warrented to basicly place a low key hit out on the guy.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 09-22-2017 at 01:28 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Yagamifire View Post
    *major caveat at the bottom

Just as a quick breakdown, a 70% no would suggest Marvel's promoter score is somewhere in the absolute dregs. It would put their score in the negatives. Terrible for a company to be in. Dire really as it means the majority of people familiar with your product (that is, Marvels comics themselves not their properties) are speaking ill of it.

My previous company had a promoter score of around 60+ (when adjusted for their own...wonky methodology). This is VERY good. Again, highest score in its industry.

Marvel would probably do well to do some surveys to see what people are saying about their books. I suspect they don't want to, however, because they don't want to hear the bad news.'

The caveat I mentioned is that we'd want to see these tests done properly and with a layer of separation. In fact, asking on a random board from a random person (that is, not the company themselves asking) is more sound than Marvel running their own survey because of the bias that would create in feedback. We'd also want to see how these numbers stack up with other companies (DC, Image, IDW, Udon, etc) across the industry to give us real benchmarks.

That comic companies don't do this sort of thing seems to be another indication of the poor awareness they have, in general, of how to promote, support and expand their brand.
    Great post btw! Learned something.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Wow.....

So is it a policy " if your not with us slience them"? What in the world is going on in the Big Two now of days.....

I've seen a video of that guy before....while I don't agree with him on his stance in it, I don't believe it is warrented to basicly place a low key hit out on the guy.
    Basically. They don't have to agree with anything he says but trying to get him into trouble, especially if it can potentially turn violent, is crossing the line.

BANNED

Looks like it's going to start getting attention. Good.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Great post btw! Learned something.
    Thank you.

Customer service experience used to be my jam (still kind of is, but it takes a toll mentally lol)

That said, I think Rogue Stars post is a perfect example of the kind of climate happening behind the scenes that has lead to a lot of the issues in the industry...and especially at Marvel.

Politics is downstream from culture, after all...so Marvel's comics as a product are downstream from its culture as a company. People are seeing the man behind the curtain of the Wizard...and the culture they're finding is informing them why they've been so put off by the product. It's giving tangibility to what they've been feeling in what they've been reading.

Fantastic Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

I like the Marvel books that I read for the most part. I am a huge fan of Kamala Khan, Miles Morales, and Riri Williams. To me, those are fantastic comics.

I think some of the books are very good, such as Champions, Ice Man, and Jean Grey.

X Men Blue and X Men Generations are just good enough to keep reading but not great.

I don't get that fixated on continuity and characters so if a character goes down hill, I may feel bad about it but I move on. I do like all the new characters that Marvel is doing. to me, there is little less interesting than reading the on millionth rendition of a tired character that has been around forever.

BANNED

Characters might be around forever but fans are born and die everyday. There's a little boy or girl out there just waiting to discover Captain America and feel about him the way some old fan felt about him decades before.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post

You know it weird how all the writers everyone hates like Nick Spencer & Dennis Hopeless don't really get all worked up over criticism yet the writers everyone likes are willing to form lynch mobs.

Not that I have sympathies for Diversity & Comics because anyone who basically buys into the whole "SJW's are taking over the world with Female characters that should be evil!!" doesn't deserve any respect & will eventually fade from existence. But goddamn I expect better from professional writers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DJ1107 View Post
    You know it weird how all the writers everyone hates like Nick Spencer & Dennis Hopeless don't really get all worked up over criticism yet the writers everyone likes are willing to form lynch mobs.

Not that I have sympathies for Diversity & Comics because anyone who basically buys into the whole "SJW's are taking over the world with Female characters that should be evil!!" doesn't deserve any respect & will eventually fade from existence. But goddamn I expect better from professional writers.
    People can't take criticism anymore.