View Poll Results: Are You Happy With the Current Marvel Climate?

Voters
245. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

72 29.39%
  • NO

173 70.61%
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Are you Happy with the Current Marvel Climate?

Questions simple enough. Are you personally happy with the current state of Marvel and the direction they are taking their comics in.

RULES:

This is not a thread to debate other peoples post. This thread is specifically zero in on what people are and are not enjoying about Marvel's current comic line. You may place the things you do like or the things you don't like that is ALL!

If you quote anyone's post you may do so in agreement and then expand upon what they have stated. However, you may not tell them they are wrong for whatever the reason maybe.

Also, you can not talk about the readership of Marvel or the environment of the posters at CBR in any form.

I'll start us off.

For the most part No. I use to read several marvel books consistently and I would like to continue to do so. But I feel that several of the books that I'm genuinely interested in picking up either bashes or dishonors the character/team who came before them.

I'm very much enjoying the books I am reading consistently though. Iron Fist and Defenders.

I also have picked up certain runs in trade of Sam as Captain America and I'm digging Amadeus Cho as the Hulk. However, I would like to be buying more Marvel but every time I do I end up dropping it either do the writer making a point to dishonor the character before him/her or the team book just seems dull or to preachy.

There are some book in general that I'm just not interested in just because but for the most part this is how I feel about the current state of Marvel.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 09-19-2017 at 05:25 AM.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Questions simple enough. Are you personally happy with the current state of Marvel and the direction they are taking their comics in.

RULES:

This is not a thread to debate other peoples post. This thread is specifically zero in on what people are and are not enjoying about Marvel's current comic line. You may place the things you do like or the things you don't like that is ALL!

If you quote anyone's post you may do so in agreement and then expand upon what they have stated. However, you may not tell them they are wrong for whatever the reason maybe.

Also, you can not talk about the readership of Marvel or the environment of the posters at CBR in any form.
    That's not how forums work. Sounds more like you want people to make blog posts they highly moderate.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    That's not how forums work. Sounds more like you want people to make blog posts they highly moderate.
    There are serval forums already to debate people. This one is simple yes and no along with why you think yes and no.

No harm. No foul.

Think of it as a Respect thread where you can not say anything negative about the posters instead of the character being Respected.
    Mostly, want the numbers on this one.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 09-07-2017 at 12:08 PM.

Also, there is a LOT of threads with a similar subject. Why not just post in these instead?

I think there should be a "mixed" option on the poll. I, for example, don't like where some of the comics are going. Case in point, I've found that the main Amazing Spider-Man series is not to my tastes, which I don't like, given that I'm a huge Spider-Man fan and would like to be following it. I'm also finding that a lot of the other comics are doing things that don't catch my interest. I don't like events, which are now the driving force of Marvel it seems like; while I don't have a problem with legacy characters, I do tend to prefer seeing the originals instead and very few of the new ones have caught my interest (the only one I'd like to follow if I had the money is Ms. Marvel); and to be honest, I find the wacky "everything changes in big new ways" thing that Marvel does off-putting. I'd rather just have a "normal" setting (kind of like the "classic" Marvel comics before "Civil War") that the various characters can have their own adventures on.

On the other hand, I'm really enjoying the Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows series. I'd wanted this to exist ever since I read the miniseries it's based on, so I'm happy that the Powers That Be shared that sentiment (and have so far put good talent in charge of producing it). As a Star Wars fan, I'm finding Marvel's contributions to the Galaxy Far Far Away to be generally good, with a couple of great stuff. I'm looking forward to the Runaways relaunch, given that I liked the original runs.

So, I think there's bad stuff and good stuff to be had, but for me, the good stuff is worth reading, and, while the stuff and creative decisions I don't like are really grating (looking at you, "Spider-Man: One More Day," status quo and Dan Slott's current run that builds on that iteration of the series), I can let it stay in it's own corner of the franchise without ruining the stuff I do like. So, maybe I'm more yes than I first thought? (I mean, only one series that I would like to read that I have found unenjoyable out of four or five?)

Edit: (And in regards to the question of why this exists. Sure, why not have a place people can express opinions, recommend series, and whatnot without sidetracking into flame wars about whether or not Marvel hate the X-Men , if Spider-Man has been ruined forever by the Powers That Be or is in a golden age, whether the legacy characters respect or tear down the originals, which users are "more true fans" than others, or whatever thing that get blown out of proportion when people disagree over subjective topics and "must" have capitulation over for whatever reason.)
    Last edited by WebLurker; 09-07-2017 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morsoth View Post
    Also, there is a LOT of threads with a similar subject. Why not just post in these instead?
    None of them has a poll. This one also has the edge of people telling exactly what they like or dislike without it turning into a long debate. This way posters can see what others are interested in and what they are not.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I think there should be a "mixed" option on the poll. I, for example, don't like where some of the comics are going. Case in point, I've found that the main Amazing Spider-Man series is not to my tastes, which I don't like, given that I'm a huge Spider-Man fan and would like to be following it. I'm also finding that a lot of the other comics are doing things that don't catch my interest. I don't like events, which are now the driving force of Marvel it seems like; while I don't have a problem with legacy characters, I do tend to prefer seeing the originals instead and very few of the new ones have caught my interest (the only one I'd like to follow if I had the money is Ms. Marvel); and to be honest, I find the wacky "everything changes in big new ways" thing that Marvel does off-putting. I'd rather just have a "normal" setting (kind of like the "classic" Marvel comics before "Civil War") that the various characters can have their own adventures on.

On the other hand, I'm really enjoying the Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows series. I'd wanted this to exist ever since I read the miniseries it's based on, so I'm happy that the Powers That Be shared that sentiment (and have so far put good talent in charge of producing it). As a Star Wars fan, I'm finding Marvel's contributions to the Galaxy Far Far Away to be generally good, with a couple of great stuff. I'm looking forward to the Runaways relaunch, given that I liked the original runs.

So, I think there's bad stuff and good stuff to be had, but for me, the good stuff is worth reading, and, while the stuff and creative decisions I don't like are really grating (looking at you, "Spider-Man: One More Day," status quo and Dan Slott's current run that builds on that iteration of the series), I can let it stay in it's own corner of the franchise without ruining the stuff I do like. So, maybe I'm more yes than I first thought?
    This is excellent input and exactly what I am looking for. I also completely understand what you mean.

But the vote should be based on your overall opinion of the current climate of Marvel. So overall do you like "YES" or overall you don't like it "NO".
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 09-07-2017 at 12:27 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

I'm generally happy with the books I'm reading. I pick up about 4 Marvel books a month and two DC books and I enjoy them. My only outstanding issue with Marvel is how much the movies influence some of the books and how others feel like they can never grow. Spider-Man's inability to develop as a human being status quo feels like a top-down executive direction, and the state of the cosmic books right now, especially GotG, sometimes feels like movie fan-fiction (why is everyone suddenly talking about "Quill's music"? Why does he have tapes? Why is Yondu in the present?!). Hoping things will change when Richard Rider comes back into the mix. The movies haven't been able to touch him yet.
    Currently Reading:
    MARVEL - Fantastic Four, She-Hulk, Hulk vs Thor: Banner of War
    DC - Batman: Shadow War, Batman: Beyond the White Knight, World's Finest
    Dark Horse Koschei the Deathless in Hell
    Other

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I read a bunch of books. I like a bunch of 'em. Guess I'm pretty happy. Obviously, there is always room for improvement. If there is something I dislike, I'll likely complain. Although my dislikes tend to be little things that happen individually in a few books and not the overall state of Marvel. If I had to pick one overall thing to complain about, though, I guess it wouldn't be things that are being done right now, but things that are not. There are sooo many good characters, books and/or stories I wish Marvel was publishing right now. And I'm not talking about the privileged, elite A-list characters who might be gone for a while but are all going to play major roles and take over everything at one point or another, but genuinely interesting and cool characters who are not getting enough attention. But I know that it wouldn't be realistic for Marvel to publish everything that they have; there's only so much you can do with such a huuuuge catalog, specially when they still rely on a shrinking market whose sales just keep getting lower and lower. So I deal with it, take what I can get, enjoy what I enjoy and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Vault View Post
    I'm generally happy with the books I'm reading. I pick up about 4 Marvel books a month and two DC books and I enjoy them. My only outstanding issue with Marvel is how much the movies influence some of the books and how others feel like they can never grow. Spider-Man's inability to develop as a human being status quo feels like a top-down executive direction, and the state of the cosmic books right now, especially GotG, sometimes feels like movie fan-fiction (why is everyone suddenly talking about "Quill's music"? Why does he have tapes? Why is Yondu in the present?!). Hoping things will change when Richard Rider comes back into the mix. The movies haven't been able to touch him yet.
    Ohhh yeah, I hadn't thought about that, but movie synergy can be something that bothers me. It doesn't bother me when I feel like they can legitimately create something cool and their own thing out of it (like, Scarlet Witch's origin retcon actually led to some pretty amazing stuff in her solo book), but when it happens for no reason at all except for synergy's sake is SO jarring. Like Nebula all of a sudden appearing in Gamora's origin story and being her sister... like, when and how did that happen? There was no explanation at all.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 09-07-2017 at 01:26 PM.

If we are talking about the diversity stuff then i would say that yes, but simply i just dont care about that.

What i dont like is how they treat the X-men in general.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    If we are talking about the diversity stuff then i would say that yes, but simply i just dont care about that.

What i dont like is how they treat the X-men in general.
    Anything and everything goes in regards to the current state of Marvel.

Placing a reason it for the yes or no makes it even better.

I tend toward the "no".

The major reason is that the comics have gone from a focus on a "narrow group of character" to a focus on a "slighly different narrow group of characters".
    At first, it's refreshing, but at the end of the day, my problem is the same as before ANAD: NARROW group of characters. And those who are not part of this group? They are barely relevant outside of their own series.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I used to read quite a number of Marvel books and I enjoyed them but I haven't really been happy with the state of Marvel for a good several years now, which is why I no longer support their product. I haven't picked up a Marvel comic in the last five years give or take. I have a plethora of issues with Marvel, some of which as per the rules of this thread I won't mention, but the last straw for me was the constant relaunches they've been doing chasing the sales spike a shiny new number one creates. It seemed to me that they were merely interested in chasing the speculator crowd with that stunt because they kept doing it over and over and over. I don't have a problem with relaunches in of of themselves just with the way Marvel has been using them. A title starts to bleed sales and their first thought seems to be "Relaunch it" instead finding some other solution to the problem of why its bleeding sales or heck even trying to find out why its doing so in the first place. In my mind a relaunch should be the last resort and not the first.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 09-07-2017 at 02:24 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

This is excellent input and exactly what I am looking for. I also completely understand what you mean.
    Thanks.

But the vote should be based on your overall opinion of the current climate of Marvel. So overall do you like "YES" or overall you don't like it "NO".
    Okay.