View Poll Results: Are You Happy With the Current Marvel Climate?

Voters
245. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

72 29.39%
  • NO

173 70.61%
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    I also don't like the increased presence of teenage heroes and small kids in stories and teams. I don't have a problem with these books existing, I just feel personally that they should do their own thing and not guest-star and/or be on a team book that's more PG-13 or up. I also don't like when they're depicting them as better and more competent than the seasoned heroes.
    Biggest pet peeve about teenage heroes is when they keep making references to pop culture that's back in the 80's and 90's.

Also all the older heroes finding it acceptable for these young teens to go out and fight other villains that are much older than them. I especially have an issue with Tony Stark backing a 15 y/o girl after his mission statement in the first Civil War after the Stanford incident. Guy seems to have amnesia.

Niffleheim

I really don't care that much about the overall direction of Marvel as long as i get to follow my favourite characters.

At the moment what i don't like is the writing for Storm and Thor Odinson

What i'm still loving is Inhumans/Royals, Daredevil, Miles Morales and Kamala Khan

So overall, Yes i'm happy with my books.

Quote Originally Posted by Aighthomie View Post
    Is there a general consensus as to when the last time the majority of fans of Marvel were, at the very least, content? It seems like it's been awhile.
    Agreed. If you notice many of the reasons are very similar overall, despite the naysaying.

Great input everyone! KEEP it coming. Even if it's already been said in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Valamist View Post
    I put YES because overall, I am enjoying a lot of Marvel books. Highlights include The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Hulk, Old Man Logan, Spider-Gwen, All-New Wolverine, Iceman, Astonishing X-Men (Only three issues in and I already forgive Soule for the horror that was IvX!) Gwenpool (The last arc in particular has been one of my all-time favorites! More people should be reading this book! Its amazing!) The Mighty Thor, Spenser's Cap books/Secret Empire or and The Ultimates was an amazing book, shame its ended now... I also like the push for more diverse characters and solo female titles, even if the execution is not always perfect its still a noble goal.

That is not to say there are no problems, I very much doubt any era of Marvel is perfect and this one is no exception. The pricing needs to be reworked, events should have less tie-ins that do not spoil the flow/theme of said book, there have been to many 'hero v hero' events, forced movie synergy etc. A few more specific example include Inhumans Vs X-Men + Death of X + the whole 'Terrigen kills mutants!' stuff, which frankly is a sickening insult to both Inhumans, mutants and Marvel fans in general. CWII, which had a premise and cast that could have made a very interesting story, utterly failed in almost every way. From unclear motives, horrible treatment of characters, childish levels of debates etc. Seriously, I used to think Bendis was a better writer then people gave him credit for, but now I will be fearful anytime he touches my favorite characters! Speaking of CWII, Carol Danvers is my third favorite comic-book character, but I would say her current solo is the weakest yet. I mean, she has just caused a war that split the superhero community apart, her boyfriend just got killed and she just put her best friend in a coma... and the first arc in her book seemed to just be "Oh... ain't I am amazing!" with very little emotional exploration or examination. The Carol of today just feels a little hollow compared to the Captain Marvel I feel in love with in KSD's book...

Anyway, as I said overall I am enjoying a lot of Marvel's work at the moment. Is it perfect? Oh no, but in my opinion its really not the hell pit some make it out to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    I voted no.

Right now I'm only buying one book from Marvel. My "no" comes from the fact that there aren't books put out that appeal to me personally. That doesn't make those other books bad, it just means that I'm not interested in them.

Like others have said, I'm tired of events. More so, I'm tired of events and the obligatory tie-ins that disrupt the flow of the books I'm following (that is currently one, mind you... but during previous events I was following more). Story arcs are put aside, books are delayed, and I'm one unhappy customer when that happens. The fact that the main story keeps developing in tie-ins is irritating also when you only want to follow the main event.

I also don't like the increased presence of teenage heroes and small kids in stories and teams. I don't have a problem with these books existing, I just feel personally that they should do their own thing and not guest-star and/or be on a team book that's more PG-13 or up. I also don't like when they're depicting them as better and more competent than the seasoned heroes.

There have also been strange and weird retcons lately (Magneto not being SW and QS's father, Mockingbird having an affair with the Phantom Rider...) that have rubbed me the wrong way. Adding this to a lack of cohesion to previous publication (i.e. the hell with continuity), again doesn't make me happy as a customer.

The near-absence of the characters I enjoy reading about is also something that makes me unhappy. Finally, and I know I've said that a lot in the last two years, I hate what Remender and Spencer have done to Hank Pym.

Pffew... quite the list!

As for what I'm happy for:
    - Janet is still around (and her new costume rocks!)
    - Cable has a solo
    - Wonder Man is back
    - Sam will be Falcon again! Yay! Sam should be unique and deserves more than somebody else's mantle!
    - and I'm illogically but carefully optimistic about Legacy, in the next few months (against my best judgment, I must say)
    Great post Valamist and Mary Jay. While I do not agree on all points this is still excellent input!
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 09-08-2017 at 06:37 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    Well Ressurection brought a new breath for X-mens including solo for Jean, Iceman, All New Wolverine.

In addition to mutants have also enjoyed Ms Marvel, Ultimates, Uncanny Avengers.

But if it was to give a general opinion I disapprove what marvel has done in the last years. Too many events, too much heroes vs heroes, no respect for continuity, plots being forgotten once a new writer takes his place and Character Assassination (you do not need to sink a character into the mud to make another cool) .

Just see how much animosity between some fans and readers and how much marvel damaged some characters in recent years to see that something is wrong. Then they promise a new heroic phase but they do not really care about making these characters work for it simply make a team up against some villain and it is all forgotten.

However the readers remember.
    This is exactly how I feel. It's the worst part of what is going on in Marvel. There are just to many Camps for this character/team or that character/team. These are heroes in a shared universe not Football teams! We should for the most part be on the same side. People always preferred one team/character or another but the flat out hate amongst many in the community has never been this bad.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Astonishing Member

Hm...what do i vote when i am happy with the books i buy, but generally unhappy with the whole marvel universe? i guess its a no...?

No. It's to the point where I don't even buy the books any longer. I find myself gravitating to back issues whenever I go into a shop these days.

I've always been more of an X-Book reader, but I've read other stuff too on the regular. I just can't get with how Marvel has been going overall since AvX. Pretty much everything that's come out since then has been garbage. The endless and empty crossovers really soured me on avidly reading and collecting.

I just hold out hoping that things will return to "normal" soon and I can go back to reading a decent story or arc.
    Last edited by DrMindbender122; 09-08-2017 at 09:09 AM.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

While there're things I like about current Marvel I can't say I'm pleased with the current direction of Marvel. Mostly because, IMO at least, they're not as good as they COULD be right now, even the books I'm happy with, at least that's how I personally feel.

Amazing Member

Would have to say that I am based on the number of new titles I'm currently collecting. Love the fact that they're trying to cater to all of their fans by pushing this diversity "initiative". Honestly don't see what all the complaining is about from the "anti-SJW" crowd. All of the main characters are still here in some form or fashion, minus the original Hulk.

Projects I'm currently collecting: Miles Morales, Iceman, Iron Heart, Black Panther, Iron Fist, America Chavez, Inhumans Once & Future Kings,Moon Girl, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Spider-Men II & The Defenders.

I think after Secret Empire #10, the current condition is an improvement over what we had after Secret Wars. It's a bigger improvement for some, more than others. I think the X-men comics have gotten a lot better. I think Ms. Marvel and Captain Marvel have benefited. I think the Ultimates really did something special. Things with Thor are really picking up. But if you're a fan of Steve Rogers, Tony Stark, or Black Widow, I think the situation hasn't improved much and has declined in some areas. So it really depends on what you're a fan of at this point.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Emphatically No!! (1) Continuity consistency-One of the biggest reasons i drifted away from purchasing primarily DC over Marvel was because of inconsistent continuity at DC. Marvel now suffers the same problem, relaunch after reboot after scattershot story threads. I realize that a lot of this is because of an ever changing roster of creators.
    (2) Artwork that I personally find indecipherable or sloppy, Maybe I'm to jaded but never cared for it. prefer clear clear lines and character definition.
    (3) A condescending, arrogant and often rude attitude from creators at convention and writers panels. I've chatted with Chuck Dixon, on several occasions, been treated respectfully, These guys owe their lively-hood to fand just like musicians or actors do. Treat the con sumers who buy your products with a modicum of respect.
    (4) Story-lines that seem written for shock value or trying to fit a particular personal agenda of the writer, Know the the characters you are writing about and make the story fit the developed personality of that character. You want NEW and interesting characters, create them. Sam Wilson is interesting because he has a full and rich back-story, not because he was a "stand-in" for Steve Rogers.

Mighty Member

Yes I'm really loving the X titles expesely X-men Gold and Blue

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by goledensilence View Post
    Would have to say that I am based on the number of new titles I'm currently collecting. Love the fact that they're trying to cater to all of their fans by pushing this diversity "initiative".
    The same inaitive they blamed for shedding all the readers.

Honestly don't see what all the complaining is about from the "anti-SJW" crowd.
    By that you mean people with critical faculties. Sensible people normally aren't SJWs anyway.

All of the main characters are still here in some form or fashion, minus the original Hulk.
    But not used to the best of their ability or characterisations. We don't want to read stories of their diverse replacement scrappies, we want stories about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    The same inaitive they blamed for shedding all the readers.

By that you mean people with critical faculties. Sensible people normally aren't SJWs anyway.

But not used to the best of their ability or characterisations. We don't want to read stories of their diverse replacement scrappies, we want stories about them.
    Hey Miles to GO.

Please read the rules of the forum on the front page! Thank You!

Currently I am not, but in a few months I will be, as I have more books to look forward to.

Right now is probably the best time to be an Iron Fist fan. He stars in three titles!

Ghost Rider and Blade are appearing for Spirits of Vengeance.

Nova is returning after an underappreciated, STELLAR run by Loveness in GotG #11

Black Panther's current/upcoming story arc seems much more appealing than its first couple arcs.

Moon Knight returning with an appealing new story.

There's a solid X-Men title with one of the best rosters I've seen in a while.

All I'm waiting for now is a Namor title and then I can honestly say it'll be the best time in a long time, for me personally, to be reading Marvel.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    This is exactly how I feel. It's the worst part of what is going on in Marvel. There are just to many Camps for this character/team or that character/team. These are heroes in a shared universe not Football teams! We should for the most part be on the same side. People always preferred one team/character or another but the flat out hate amongst many in the community has never been this bad.
    Some on marvel seem to believe angry fans is better than apathetic but I'm not sure if this is a good policy.

On the other hand some say that heroes vs villains do not sell anymore.