View Poll Results: Are You Happy With the Current Marvel Climate?

Voters
245. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

72 29.39%
  • NO

173 70.61%
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

No.

Too many never ending events.
    Too many titles getting co-opted into events which derail the non-event storylines.
    Too many relaunches.
    Too many of the old characters being replaced or overshadowed at the same time.
    Too many hero vs. hero events.
    Too many heroes who's current characterization is so 'flawed' that I don't identify with their lack of perfection... instead I just don't like them much at all.
    I find the general state of the writing and editing to be the worst it has ever been there.
    Cover prices are too high.

What I like.
    Almost all of the X-Men titles. Wolverine's title is the best book Marvel publishes now. Brisson is doing great. I would like this to star the 616 Wolverine instead of OML. Astonishing, Gold, Blue, Weapon X and Uncanny Avengers are all good. Cable, Iron Fist, Scarlet Spider and Venom are really good as well. Renew Your Vows was great when Conway was on it. I hope Houser can do good on it as well. Royals and Secret Warriors have been above average. I like them but with them being double shipped they will likely be cut. X23 and Avengers have been a disappointment. They are likely to be dropped as well. I have to make room for Captain America, Falcon and a few other titles.

What I dislike.
    There isn't a Excalibur, X-Force and Alpha Flight title being published now. There isn't a good Thor title out. Marvel's pricing every title like they are all equal products. If they charged 2.99 on their lower tier titles it would be great. I would be able to buy more comic. The list of comics that I would buy is long. Double shipping. One title is one thing but it looks like they will be doing this with a bunch of their titles. This means that I will likely have to drop some of those titles. Also no Fantastic 4 title is a dislike. Hulk being published would be nice as well. Another one is the use of the alternate reality O5 over the 616 O5. A good DnA style cosmic title not being published is a one as well.
    Last edited by nnelg; 09-07-2017 at 02:45 PM.

No. All of the silver age characters are being replaced or their characterization is getting damaged. Everything is a hero vs hero event. Pointless stunts just to prove that "nothing will ever be the same." Constant deterioration of characters due to movie synergy. They also seem to have a very antagonistic relationship with the fans. Owadays. Those in conjunction are causing sales to plummet.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    No. All of the silver age characters are being replaced or their characterization is getting damaged. Everything is a hero vs hero event. Pointless stunts just to prove that "nothing will ever be the same." Constant deterioration of characters due to movie synergy. They also seem to have a very antagonistic relationship with the fans. Owadays. Those in conjunction are causing sales to plummet.
    The bolded is another one I would add to my list as well.

I put YES because overall, I am enjoying a lot of Marvel books. Highlights include The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Hulk, Old Man Logan, Spider-Gwen, All-New Wolverine, Iceman, Astonishing X-Men (Only three issues in and I already forgive Soule for the horror that was IvX!) Gwenpool (The last arc in particular has been one of my all-time favorites! More people should be reading this book! Its amazing!) The Mighty Thor, Spenser's Cap books/Secret Empire or and The Ultimates was an amazing book, shame its ended now... I also like the push for more diverse characters and solo female titles, even if the execution is not always perfect its still a noble goal.

That is not to say there are no problems, I very much doubt any era of Marvel is perfect and this one is no exception. The pricing needs to be reworked, events should have less tie-ins that do not spoil the flow/theme of said book, there have been to many 'hero v hero' events, forced movie synergy etc. A few more specific example include Inhumans Vs X-Men + Death of X + the whole 'Terrigen kills mutants!' stuff, which frankly is a sickening insult to both Inhumans, mutants and Marvel fans in general. CWII, which had a premise and cast that could have made a very interesting story, utterly failed in almost every way. From unclear motives, horrible treatment of characters, childish levels of debates etc. Seriously, I used to think Bendis was a better writer then people gave him credit for, but now I will be fearful anytime he touches my favorite characters! Speaking of CWII, Carol Danvers is my third favorite comic-book character, but I would say her current solo is the weakest yet. I mean, she has just caused a war that split the superhero community apart, her boyfriend just got killed and she just put her best friend in a coma... and the first arc in her book seemed to just be "Oh... ain't I am amazing!" with very little emotional exploration or examination. The Carol of today just feels a little hollow compared to the Captain Marvel I feel in love with in KSD's book...

Anyway, as I said overall I am enjoying a lot of Marvel's work at the moment. Is it perfect? Oh no, but in my opinion its really not the hell pit some make it out to be.

Adding the poll was a mistake. That would just have people casting their vote and not contributing to the discussion in any way. 20 posts and 54 voters. I have a feeling that the poll just has people venting, because the vote so far is woefully one-sided. And why isn't there a neutral option?

For the most part I feel the environment could be better, but it's not the doom, gloom and hell that people are making it out to be.
    Last edited by Xalfrea; 09-07-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

What I like:
    Inhumans titles, Iron Fist, Miles Morales, Daredevil, Defenders and Jessica Jones all having books.

What I don't like:
    Still too many stupid events.
    The X-Books being dull as ****

Overall.. I'm kind of indifferent. I don't mind the events, but I've only just started trying to collect them all, so that'll probably change. Tired of the hero vs hero stuff though. Was tired of it after Avengers vs X-Men.

By the books I'm reading:

Deadpool - Not happy it's being renamed "Despicable," as that was never the case. But I can't complain as long as Gerry Duggan is at the helm. He's been everything and more for Wade.

Spider-Man/Deadpool - Stopped reading when Kelly and McGuinness finished their story. Which was my main draw. The fill-in issues were brutal. But I'll be jumping back on when Robbie Thompson and Chris Bachalo take over in November.

Iron Man - No. Bring back Tony. Like others have said, all that ever happens with RiRi is we're told she's awesome and smart and we're supposed to love her. Invincible Iron Man is Tony Stark's book. Give it back. Infamous has been slow but fun to read.

Daredevil - Yes! Soule and Garney have been awesome. The Supreme art was hindered because of the abrupt change in art, but they're back on track now.

Defenders - Probably the best overall book I'm reading right now in terms of story and art. Couldn't be happier. Excited to see Deadpool appear.

Iceman/X-Men books - Iceman, mostly. I wasn't one for his status quo change, but now that that's reality, Sina Grace has done a very good job expanding on that story. But the X-Men as a whole still feel like they're spinning their wheels. Scott Summers needs to come back and lead the mutants into a new golden age. The time displaced O5 need to go.

More or less happy. While i have some quibbles, it's not any more severe than in the past. I have a bunch of books I enjoy, I am excited for some of the Legacy plans announced, and that they say there won't be any big events for a while, so I'm good.

The Slingers are appearing soon in Scarlet Spider!!!

-Pav, who votes YES...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

I had to say NO!
    Marvel is producing books that I just don't like.
    My Marvel buy list is at zero.

i voted : yes.

there are several Marvel titles i like a lot and several i don't care about and don't buy.

so, business as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Vault View Post
    I'm generally happy with the books I'm reading. I pick up about 4 Marvel books a month and two DC books and I enjoy them. My only outstanding issue with Marvel is how much the movies influence some of the books and how others feel like they can never grow. Spider-Man's inability to develop as a human being status quo feels like a top-down executive direction, and the state of the cosmic books right now, especially GotG, sometimes feels like movie fan-fiction (why is everyone suddenly talking about "Quill's music"? Why does he have tapes? Why is Yondu in the present?!). Hoping things will change when Richard Rider comes back into the mix. The movies haven't been able to touch him yet.
    I totally hear what your saying GotG. That team and Star Lord is one of the books I picked up recently and was confused at how..."goofy" it had gotten. I love a little fun in my comics but the movie handles it a lot better than it is produced in the comics. Seems like the writer(s) hasn't found a happy medium yet maybe.

I also miss Rich! Wish he was back already or the very least was a regular in Sams book.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I used to read quite a number of Marvel books and I enjoyed them but I haven't really been happy with the state of Marvel for a good several years now, which is why I no longer support their product. I haven't picked up a Marvel comic in the last five years give or take. I have a plethora of issues with Marvel, some of which as per the rules of this thread I won't mention, but the last straw for me was the constant relaunches they've been doing chasing the sales spike a shiny new number one creates. It seemed to me that they were merely interested in chasing the speculator crowd with that stunt because they kept doing it over and over and over. I don't have a problem with relaunches in of of themselves just with the way Marvel has been using them. A title starts to bleed sales and their first thought seems to be "Relaunch it" instead finding some other solution to the problem of why its bleeding sales or heck even trying to find out why its doing so in the first place. In my mind a relaunch should be the last resort and not the first.
    I hear what your saying. I also do not believe a "shock value" sales last for a long time. Eventually things wont be shocking any more and just played out.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Im barely hanging on to Marvel. I was reading ANW, but its dying on me. Astonishing is keeping my tendancy to leave all together at bay.
    Pulling:
    Batman, Detective Comics, The Sentry, Mister Miracle, Venom

Yes

BUT

I am not sure what to think of Legacy yet. I actually don't need a rebirth copy it I fear that's what we will get.

I am content with what we have at this very moment even though I kind of miss some solos that were cancelled over the last few months.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter