Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Was that supposed to redeem Cap? I still hate him
    It's not supposed to redeem him exactly. Since it wasn't him that did the Hydra Cap things, he technically has nothing to be redeemed for.

The problem being not everyone will see it that way, even if they know what happened. It wasn't him... but because it looked like him and they thought it was him at the time, some will still hold him accountable. So in their eyes, he still needs to be redeemed for something he didn't actually do.

It's a bit unfair, but that's how life is sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    sentinels are just objects/tools. it's the people who build/activate them that are the bad guys.
    No, it's the writers who use them lamely in their stories that are the "bad guys".

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Was that supposed to redeem Cap? I still hate him
    It's not supposed to redeem him exactly. Since it wasn't him that did the Hydra Cap things, he technically has nothing to be redeemed for.

The problem being not everyone will see it that way, even if they know what happened. It wasn't him... but because it looked like him and they thought it was him at the time, some will still hold him accountable. So in their eyes, he still needs to be redeemed for something he didn't actually do.

It's a bit unfair, but that's how life is sometimes.
    But, wait, "HydraCap" was still Steve, wasn't it? It was just a Steve who had been altered by the Cube so that his past was different than what we had previously read about. It wasn't like Kobik replaced Steve with a different version from a different Earth, but "rewrote" the 616-version of Steve. But the "earlier (original) draft" of 616-Steve was still "on file" with Kobik, and was brought back so we had the big "editing" war of the two versions in issue #10. It isn't so much that we got back the "real" Steve/Cap but that we got back the "previous version" of Steve/Cap.

Bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    "When the Hydra Supreme does it, that means it is not illegal?" Nah, didn't work for Number One of the first Secret Empire (either in the MU or in RL), doesn't work for Stevil... and even if it were somehow found that Congress had conferred powers on him that the US government as a whole doesn't actually possess, that still wouldn't cut any ice with any of the international complainants. Honestly, regular Steve should probably inform Namor and T'Challa where Stevil is being held and let one of them execute the guy in full compliance with their nation's laws.
    The UN or World Security Council or whomever oversees SHIELD would probably throw one hell of a fit regarding Hydra Steve's crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    No, it's the writers who use them lamely in their stories that are the "bad guys".

But, wait, "HydraCap" was still Steve, wasn't it? It was just a Steve who had been altered by the Cube so that his past was different than what we had previously read about. It wasn't like Kobik replaced Steve with a different version from a different Earth, but "rewrote" the 616-version of Steve. But the "earlier (original) draft" of 616-Steve was still "on file" with Kobik, and was brought back so we had the big "editing" war of the two versions in issue #10. It isn't so much that we got back the "real" Steve/Cap but that we got back the "previous version" of Steve/Cap.
    thats how I saw it. The memory of the original Steve was till within her and she gave that memory a body and placed him in the MU. Its not like HydraCap was a clone

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

I think that is a reasonable approximation but I really don't like the 'on file' analogy. The Steve in the cube was never supposed to be a backup copy or some such Idea. He seems to have been a kind of dream of Kobik's. A part of her inner conflict. That Steve offered to help her and that Steve was pulled out of the cube with Kobik in his arms.

The way I read it, the heroes were convinced Steve was in the cube and hatched a long shot plan to try and find him inside it. They actually found Kobik's dream Steve and he fought against Hydra Cap. He was a pretty solid faximilie of Steve, but he wasn't the real Steve until Kobik decided that he was. The moment she rewites things to divorce Hydra Cap from his reality, she reinstates our Steve to his rightful place in that new reality. She could theoretically have just rewritten Hydra Cap, indeed that would be the easiest I presume, but she didn't do that. Whether that was a favour to Steve, or just a whim, it certainly helps Steve with his claims of innocence.

Was it ever officially revealed who the new Kraken was?

Know the popular theory was it was Ian Rogers, which makes a lot of sense. Just surprised that plot point didn't really come up at all during Secret Empire.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Emma throughout New Mutants was manipulating Magneto. She convinced Selene.

Emmas relationship with Sentinels is not the same as Magnetos relationship with Sentinels.

Magneto is the master of magnetism he controls metal robots. All Sentinels have brought Emma is misery.

As I said before I'm arguing method not ruthlessness. It's not just Genosha but Lourdes, Leland, the Hellions, her New X-Men...Emma's students fates and Sentinels have been linked. It's a recurring theme that gets rehashed every time new students are created

Magneto has done all that and yet when he met the red skull he buried him underground
    Again, red skull is a person. The nazis were people. Sentinels are programmable machines. Emma was manipulating Magneto. Her motive wasn't hatred of sentinels. If it had been, she would have left earlier. She wanted power. Having an easily manipulated 'King' gave her that. I said it earlier. We likely won't agree. And I am not bothered by that.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Loved this issue. That Beast and Emma scene. Maybe Spencer should write an X-book
    The first twelve issues of Ultimate Comics: X-Men after The Death of (Ultimate) Spider-Man, if that counts.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

10 bucks says Stevil will become the new Red Skull

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    You spent the entirety of SE mischaracterizing the story and criticizing it from a false understanding of what it was.
    Not at all. I understood it from the beginning, in that it was a poorly executed story on virtually every level. And I was right.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey616 View Post
    Was it ever officially revealed who the new Kraken was?

Know the popular theory was it was Ian Rogers, which makes a lot of sense. Just surprised that plot point didn't really come up at all during Secret Empire.
    They had to spend that time explaining who Madame Hydra was.

Wait...

BANNED

Is Black Widow still alive ?? Because that scene with Bucky kind of implied she was in fact alive.

Quote Originally Posted by jyamen View Post
    10 bucks says Stevil will become the new Red Skull
    seems like something that would happen. but, then again, he hated the old Red Skull. and he considers himself to be the real Captain America. so something pretty awful would have to happen to him; to allow for the demotion from Supreme Hydra to Red Skull 3.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Wall-Crawler View Post
    Is Black Widow still alive ?? Because that scene with Bucky kind of implied she was in fact alive.
    I didn't see a body. so I'd say, 'yes.'

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I didn't see a body. so I'd say, 'yes.'
    Well we kind of did, but she is Black Widow. It's kind of in her MO to pull this kind of thing. It seems from solicitations that this mystery will be explored in a longer story, and that scene was just a teaser.