Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default Old Folk: Ever Been A Title That Restored Your Faith?

Ok. I'm old and cranky, and prefer both Englehart and Busiek to anything Bendis ever dreamed. Still I look, and occasionally get surprised.

My current "wow, there's hope" moment is Daughters of the Dragon. This a worthy successor to the ladies' early stories in The Deadly Hands of Kung Fu (even with the weird drugged-eyeballs-Colleen illustrations). It made me feel better about Marvel as a whole.

So, is there a title, even a single issue that made you say "okay, I'll stick with comics a bit longer"?

Extraordinary Member

Vision got me through a disappointing period of Marvel comics by showing that it was possible to do a new take on a familiar Marvel superhero while still respecting his history.

I think it was Waid's Daredevil if I remember correctly. I hated Bendis' entire run and Brubaker was better... but the whole he was left in was way too deep... then there was the Hand and Shadowland and Daredevil Reborn and just years and years of drudgery.

Waid's Daredevil was FUN again. Still had a lot of the fall out from the earlier stuff, but it handled it fun. I still don't buy like I used to, but that run restored some faith in Daredevil as a character.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Hickman's Fantastic Four....took Marvel's oldest series and brought the back into prominence again. Particularly since it followed Millar/Hitch's dismal run.

Mighty Member

During ANAD, I have almost lost faith with Marvel, but "Vision" gave me hope that Marvel can still make good comics.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Astonishing Member

Amazing Spider-Man with Brand New Day.
    I was quite intrigued by the changes done in the stories with BND that i read at the time in articles as in CBR,(After all without counting with a few exceptions,usually the stories of Spider-Man can be more traditional that the stories of the X-Men)so after having quit for two times Reading comic books it was that peculiar phase of Spider-Man stories that made me a regular comic book reader and collector again due the interesting changes done in the stories and the level of quality of stories and art that i did not knew was in many marvel comic books.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Amazing Spider-Man with Brand New Day.
    I was quite intrigued by the changes done in the stories with BND that i read at the time in articles as in CBR,(After all without counting with a few exceptions,usually the stories of Spider-Man can be more traditional that the stories of the X-Men)so after having quit for two times Reading comic books it was that peculiar phase of Spider-Man stories that made me a regular comic book reader and collector again due the interesting changes done in the stories and the level of quality of stories and art that i did not knew was in many marvel comic books.
    Agreed. I enjoyed Brand New Day quite a bit. I hated OMD and I hated the unmasking that led up to everything... but despite the terrible road that led to it... I enjoyed the new status quo.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Agreed. I enjoyed Brand New Day quite a bit. I hated OMD and I hated the unmasking that led up to everything... but despite the terrible road that led to it... I enjoyed the new status quo.
    I really don´t take in consideration the OMD story and the stories that lead up to OMD with Brand New Day.To me those are diferente things.
    I just liked the creativity and how the stories of Spider-Man had "new energy" with the new Status Quo.The team of writers was smart because it made possible to the new phase of Peter Parker have more variety in the stories due the different type of writing styles of the team of writers in ASM during Brand New Day.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Waid’s Champions, Ewing’s Mighty Avengers, Rosenberg’s Astonishing X-Men, Spencer’s Superior Foes.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Al Ewing's Immortal Hulk. It doesn't restore my faith in Marvel, I liked a lot of Marvel books before it came out. But it restores my faith in the Hulk and it is good to read a great Hulk book again
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Al Ewing's marvel run has kept me happy. I find all his books at the top of my read list every release day. I also liked Duggan and Zub's run on Uncanny Avengers. It felt like an old school Avengers book to me. Cullen Bunn's time with Magneto and the X-men made me excited to read X books again after years of not caring.

Not sure if I'm an old folk. Began reading just before Secret Wars.

A title that restored my faith was Mighty Avengers by Ewing. After Avengers Arena (the last straw after the killing of several new/legacy/replacement characters), I thought I was done with Marvel.
    But then I saw some Mighty Avengers scans and this series, as well as other Ewing's team books (Ultimates, New Avengers), reminded me why I love the Marvel Universe. Clever use of the shared universe and its rich history, good character work, action, fun, and valorization of underexposed characters like White Tiger, Blue Marvel, Sunspot...

(Damn, I miss Ewing writing team books and underrated characters.)

During the '90s, I was really down on Marvel. Then Thunderbolts came along, and my faith was renewed. After the events of Heroes Reborn: The Return, Marvel had finally restored my faith to the utmost. For now it seemed that Marvel had a plan for the Avengers' corner of the Marvel Universe and a sense of direction for where they wanted to take them.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    During the '90s, I was really down on Marvel. Then Thunderbolts came along, and my faith was renewed. After the events of Heroes Reborn: The Return, Marvel had finally restored my faith to the utmost. For now it seemed that Marvel had a plan for the Avengers' corner of the Marvel Universe and a sense of direction for where they wanted to take them.
    That was a great one! Probably the single most "Oh Wow!" comics moment I can recall. It helped that I'd seen a special featuring The T-Bolts shortly before, so and so had formed some impressions that Busiek completely Judo Flipped.on their noggin.

The '90s Heroes for Hire series and MutantX series.
    And, of course, they both failed.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.