Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    I liked it too. It remains, to my knowledge, the only time a male superhero has taken on a woman's legacy. The symbolism of it is pretty important IMO, but it has always been brushed over.
    Not the only time, as Wiccan was very obviously created as a male counterpart/teen version/legacy for the Scarlet Witch. But other than that, I can't think of any other cases. Which is quite telling: one didn't stick (and like Sutekh said, was treated in a very sexist way in-universe) and the other one doesn't get a push at all compared to the other legacy characters. And yeah, the fact that Marvel doesn't seem interested in exploring this bothers me, because showing that women can be just as inspiring as role models for men IS an important thing.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 09-09-2017 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Of coarse not then they have to deal with that whole "Tony Stark murdered her in cold blood and never had to answer for it" thing. They don't want to have to admit that ever happened. Its a shame really because it could make for a very good storyline and Rita is an awesome character.

Actually, bringing her back is the best way to sweep it under the rug. It's how they got around Doom killing Cassie.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Not the only time, as Wiccan was very obviously created as a male counterpart/teen version/legacy for the Scarlet Witch. But other than that, I can't think of any other cases. Which is quite telling: one didn't stick (and like Sutekh said, was treated in a very sexist way in-universe) and the other one doesn't get a push at all compared to the other legacy characters. And yeah, the fact that Marvel doesn't seem interested in exploring this bothers me, because showing that women can be just as inspiring as role models for men IS an important thing.
    Female heroes are just as inspiring; when you don't focus solely on males taking up their mantle. Mockingbird is a personal hero of Wasp. Kampala is a Captain Marvel fan. I would say that most of the x-kids revere Storm. Black Widow's rep has led to several challengers. Just because it's not a dude doesn't make it any less legit, imo.

To answer a point from earlier I know that there are numerous Iron Man-esque and Captain America-esque characters but I meant that we have four Wasp-Esque characters at the same time. With the others there would be like two at a time. There are four of them right now where only like three years before there was one. Two have been created recently and one was converted to a Wasp-esque character from what she was before.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    What Is Thy Bidding My Master
    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
    Till All Are One

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    well there are three ant men and 4 (i am counting Hank as both) giant men/goliath
    Hank is dead/Ultron. Eric is evil and an LMD.

As I mentioned before I'd prefer to see Nadia as Giant-Girl since Stature isn't really around anymore. There is the whole growing makes you go looper after a while but I'm sure that she'd figure a way around it. I have posed the question before whether she can grow in size.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    Till All Are One

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    It's not just a Wasp thing, if you think about it. I mean, we also have an Ant-Man (Scott Lang), a Black Ant (Eric O'Grady LMD), a Giant-Man (Raz Malhotra), a Yellowjacket (Darren Cross), a recently returned but still underused Goliath (Tom Foster). All of those have appeared in comics ever since the Ant-Man movie in 2015. And I'm sure when Hank returns, he'll probably take on a similar identity as well. It seems like Marvel just likes to milk Pym-particle-using characters.
    Pretty much. I'd also add that Nadia is the comics mirroring of Hope from the movies so, while they're radically different characters, they more or less parallel each other. It doesn't seem completely fair to me to count them as one a piece.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Seems obvious that Jan should transition into Giant-Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    That would be pretty good since she has never embraced her Giant-Woman persona for very long. I think 2004 was the longest but she seems to be quite clumsy at giant size.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    Till All Are One

To me it seems obvious Nadia isn't going to be around for long so I don't see the need for Janet to be anything other than the Wasp.
    Last edited by Captain M; 09-10-2017 at 12:53 PM.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Female heroes are just as inspiring; when you don't focus solely on males taking up their mantle. Mockingbird is a personal hero of Wasp. Kampala is a Captain Marvel fan. I would say that most of the x-kids revere Storm. Black Widow's rep has led to several challengers. Just because it's not a dude doesn't make it any less legit, imo.
    Kamala is not the best example here, because she was created precisely to take on her idol's legacy. And I'm not saying that people can't be inspired by female heroes in other ways, but I'm not gonna act like Mockingbird being Nadia's idol has actually made any in or off-universe impact as, say, Jane Foster becoming Thor. Marvel has made a big deal about legacy in recent times, as their ultimate way of showing how important and inspiring some titles/mantles are in the MU. I find it only fair that they showcase more female titles/mantles being inspiring to other characters (specially males, since that's still a taboo) too.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 09-10-2017 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by a0040pc View Post
    That would be pretty good since she has never embraced her Giant-Woman persona for very long. I think 2004 was the longest but she seems to be quite clumsy at giant size.
    Rita started out clumsy too. It's time to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    To me it seems obvious Nadia isn't going to be around for long so I don't see the need for Janet to be anything other than the Wasp.
    Too late. She's been a giant before.

Too late. She's been a giant before.
    Oh I don't have a problem with her becoming Giant Woman at all. Whatever gives her a push. However I just don't think it will happen after Marvel failed remarkably with Nadia. I highly highly doubt she'll be in the spotlight much anymore. Especially after Waid leaves the Avengers.

Who should have the Giant-Woman persona then?
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    Till All Are One