Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Roy Harper (Speedy/Arsenal/ Red Arrow,/Arsenal again) Appreciation

The last of the Fab5 to get their own appreciation thread...how appropriate for our favorite screw-up.

Roy Harper isn't the best hero ever and that's part of what makes him great. He's heavily flawed, but he's always trying his best. And while both as a man and a hero he has his shortcomings, he's still a good friend and not a hero to be underestimated.

And of course, the one area where he truly shines above all others is as a father. Together, Roy and Lian have made for some of the most enjoyable and heart-warming moments out there. As many problems as there were with Convergence, we can at least take comfort that it gave the two their happy ending.

speedy 70s.jpg

orange roy.jpg

happy ending.jpg
    Last edited by Assam; 09-08-2017 at 04:17 PM.

Great character.

I'm currently enjoying some of his exploits in New Teen Titans and Red Hood & Arsenal.

(Always been partial to a bit of ginger ).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I really hate that they got rid of Roy on the show. He was way better than Thea.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    I really hate that they got rid of Roy on the show. He was way better than Thea.
    Ah, I love Thea .

But there's not an episode that goes by where I don't miss Roy .

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    ME TOO!!!! He was just a cool character! I can't believe he wanted to leave the show.
    I wish he could be persuaded to come back.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

BANNED

CWRoy is a lot like the 9th Doctor for me. Great characters played by some of the best actors their respective shows have ever had...but those great characters they were playing so well simply weren't the characters they were representing. Adaptations or even just different writers do different things with these characters, but 9 and CWRoy, much as I like them, aren't The Doctor and Roy Harper by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    CWRoy is a lot like the 9th Doctor for me. Great characters played by some of the best actors their respective shows have ever had...but those great characters they were playing so well simply weren't the characters they were representing. Adaptations or even just different writers do different things with these characters, but 9 and CWRoy, much as I like them, aren't The Doctor and Roy Harper by any stretch of the imagination.
    Arrowverse Roy felt enough like Roy to me, or getting the gist of Roy right, that I thought he was a good representation of the character even if there was certain important elements to Roy they never really got to (His legitimate addiction issues, Cheshire, Lian, etc.).

I think YJ's take on Arsenal and Red Arrow were probably my favorite out of all the animated versions. It's because he feels fully realized and more than just a poor man's Robin or just Kid Arrow to me. He's his own man and i hope to see what he gets up to in season 3.

Mighty Member

Arrowverse Roy felt enough like Roy to me, or getting the gist of Roy right, that I thought he was a good representation of the character even if there was certain important elements to Roy they never really got to (His legitimate addiction issues, Cheshire, Lian, etc.).
    Well, Colton Haynes wanted to leave the show (apparently, he was struggling with depression at the time). Who knows what they would have gotten to if he had stayed?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Well, Colton Haynes wanted to leave the show (apparently, he was struggling with depression at the time). Who knows what they would have gotten to if he had stayed?
    It'd be interesting to think how things would've been different if he'd stayed on Team Arrow, especially given Thea's development and the whole team dynamic.

Mighty Member

It'd be interesting to think how things would've been different if he'd stayed on Team Arrow, especially given Thea's development and the whole team dynamic.
    They'd be a lot more unnecessary parkour, that's for sure.

Personally, I think it was good for Thea's growth as a character for him to leave for a bit, but it would be cool for him to come back or join up with the Titans.

I said it once, in Titans/Teen Titans thread and i said it again here, that Arsenal mini by Devin Grayson was gold and i higthly recomend it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    They'd be a lot more unnecessary parkour, that's for sure.
    Roy's unnecessary parkour was like its own character.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I said it once, in Titans/Teen Titans thread and i said it again here, that Arsenal mini by Devin Grayson was gold and i higthly recomend it.
    I really do think that that mini is the best way to introduce someone to Roy in terms of showing why he's so great. It shows his flaws, his skills, his backstory, his personality is on full display, aided by the more cartoony art style, and several of his most important relationships are prominent.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Roy's unnecessary parkour was like its own character.
    It was amazing. I loved the unnecessary parkour.