Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Default Star Wars Adventures

I just got this today and it was a lot of fun. It's definitely aimed at more of an all ages crowd but for something like Star Wars that's totally understandable and at any rate the tone wasn't too juvenile so as to make it a total tonal disconnect from the other Star Wars books out there. I do wonder however why it's being put out by IDW instead of Marvel as I think the fan base is large enough to make it profitable for Marvel.

I saw the online "ashcan" issue and can't wait for the trade paperback.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I saw the online "ashcan" issue and can't wait for the trade paperback.
    Totally worth getting, it reminded me a lot of the strips from Star Wars Insider, which I always loved.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Totally worth getting...
    Good to hear.

...it reminded me a lot of the strips from Star Wars Insider, which I always loved.
    Insider did comics? I knew they used to do short stories, but I never saw comics in any if the issues I ever read.

As I understand it, the release plan for Adventures is as follows: The first two are about Rey pre-TFA, the third is about Finn pre-TFA, and the fourth is about Luke and Leia between ANH and ESB, with some kind of framing story with the character(s) from the Join the Resistance series.

The original ashcan comic (basically a multipage ad with Threepio and Artoo telling the reader about the kinds of stories the series will tell), can be seen here and will be inclined with the two Rey issues in the first trade paperback.

BANNED

So what's the deal with this comic? It seems kind of weird they'd be going outside of Marvel to IDW for a Star Wars comic. I don't remember anything like this happened when Dark Horse handled things.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Isn't there supposed to be a Clone Wars era story with Obi-Wan as well? I was under the impression they have multiple stories in each comic.

Good to hear.

Insider did comics? I knew they used to do short stories, but I never saw comics in any if the issues I ever read.

As I understand it, the release plan for Adventures is as follows: The first two are about Rey pre-TFA, the third is about Finn pre-TFA, and the fourth is about Luke and Leia between ANH and ESB, with some kind of framing story with the character(s) from the Join the Resistance series.

The original ashcan comic (basically a multipage ad with Threepio and Artoo telling the reader about the kinds of stories the series will tell), can be seen here and will be inclined with the two Rey issues in the first trade paperback.
    They did them every once in a while, escpecially when the Clone Wars cartoon first came out, and just after The Attack of the Clones hit theaters too if I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Isn't there supposed to be a Clone Wars era story with Obi-Wan as well? I was under the impression they have multiple stories in each comic.
    They did, it was a sort of chase scene comic with Obi-Wan and the diner owner tracking down a thief. Nothing meaty to it but the pacing was fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    So what's the deal with this comic? It seems kind of weird they'd be going outside of Marvel to IDW for a Star Wars comic. I don't remember anything like this happened when Dark Horse handled things.
    Disney seems to this fairly often, they publish what they think will have a larger audience through Marvel but license out stuff they feel might not be as successful. It's smart from a business stand point as comics are indeed a risky investment but can pay off occasionally in the long run with trades; so for books that you think might have legs you'd want to own them out right but for others that aren't as solid just receiving a percentage in licensing with out having to pay for the development of the book is a much safer bet. On the side, having this under a separate label also means its easier to separate from their other line of books for consumers.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Disney seems to this fairly often, they publish what they think will have a larger audience through Marvel but license out stuff they feel might not be as successful. It's smart from a business stand point as comics are indeed a risky investment but can pay off occasionally in the long run with trades; so for books that you think might have legs you'd want to own them out right but for others that aren't as solid just receiving a percentage in licensing with out having to pay for the development of the book is a much safer bet. On the side, having this under a separate label also means its easier to separate from their other line of books for consumers.
    I seem to recall that they did this with Toy Story and let IDW do some comics for them. Marvel's done those Disney themed concepts like Haunted Mansion, Figment and I think one or two others though...

They did them every once in a while, escpecially when the Clone Wars cartoon first came out, and just after The Attack of the Clones hit theaters too if I remember.
    Okay, that would've been before my time as a Star Wars reader.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I seem to recall that they did this with Toy Story and let IDW do some comics for them. Marvel's done those Disney themed concepts like Haunted Mansion, Figment and I think one or two others though...
    You mean the Boom Studios stuff from before they bought Marvel?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    You mean the Boom Studios stuff from before they bought Marvel?
    No, he means the Disney comics IDW is currently publishing. IDW got the license after Boom lost it. Which was several years after Disney aquired Marvel.
    Marvel has never published, and from the looks of it never will publish Disney comics.

I think Joe Books currently has the Disney comics license, not IDW.

BANNED

I think Joe Books currently has the Disney comics license, not IDW.
    It looks like they both have the license.
    Joe Books is Canadian though. That probably matters.