Default Aquaman New 52 vs Rebirth

Which do you prefer? I just finished reading The New 52 Johns run and I loved it. Haven't read any of Rebirth yet. Thoughts?

BANNED

I like the Johns run more than I probably should, simply because it was the only initial Nu52 title that I actually liked at all. That said, my personal opinion is such:

Parker Run>>>Johns Run> Abnett Run>>>>>>>>>Bunn run

With the exception of Bunn's run, I really enjoy all of these, but Parker's is definitely my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    I like the Johns run more than I probably should, simply because it was the only initial Nu52 title that I actually liked at all. That said, my personal opinion is such:

Parker Run>>>Johns Run> Abnett Run>>>>>>>>>Bunn run

With the exception of Bunn's run, I really enjoy all of these, but Parker's is definitely my favorite.
    Mostly the same for me, though Parker and Johns are very close for me, I'm enjoying Abnett's run a lot too and while there was some interesting stuff in Bunn's run there are too many issues to ignore. Some of my favorite issues from the series are probably the early Maelstrom issues, like the Gorilla city one, Parker is fantastic at world building.

I find that Rebirth and New 52 are pretty close in tone. No, Aquaman in Rebirth is often "weaker" (or less impressive" than during New 52, but as far as I can tell, his corner of the DCU hasn't truly been touched by Rebirth and his continuing the story told since 2011, which is great because I find it to be a really strong foundation. Now, if only we could get the Seven Seas sooner than never...

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I find that Rebirth and New 52 are pretty close in tone. No, Aquaman in Rebirth is often "weaker" (or less impressive" than during New 52, but as far as I can tell, his corner of the DCU hasn't truly been touched by Rebirth and his continuing the story told since 2011, which is great because I find it to be a really strong foundation. Now, if only we could get the Seven Seas sooner than never...
    Is the Seven Seas supposed to happen as in an event?

Well, it was hinted as such, if I remember it right. Now, it never surfaced again, but if I had to make a guess, Seven Seas could be the summer event of 2018 to celebrate Aquaman's movie. Or perhaps that it will come just after it, to surf (pun non-intended) on the success (if there is, which I hope) of this movie.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Johns teased it in the final issue of his run. Not much has been seen/heard about it since.

As far as New 52 thru Rebirth, I think they feel like a continuation of the same run. Minus the hiccup that was Cullen Bunn's "Exiled" arc. But that can be skipped without missing much.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I loved Johns' New 52 Aquaman run. But, I think Abnett's Rebirth run has been better so far.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I enjoyed the hell out of Geoff Johns and Jeff Parker's runs, respectively. I was very sad to see Jeff Parker leave the title.

Dan Abnett has been putting in work though, and the book has been very entertaining. I look forward to it every month. His world building has been rock solid, and I enjoy his Mera a lot. I hope he stays on board for a long run.

AQUAMAN has been fantastic from issue #1 of the New 52 all the way through to our current date. Bunn's short run was quite bad but largely can be ignored without any disruption.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 09-10-2017 at 08:41 PM.

BANNED

Thoughts on each run:

Geoff Johns: Let's be blunt: This was Aquaman Rebirth here. Like seriously outside of a few changes this would pretty much fit in the old universe without even batting an eye. Beside that this run did wonders for Aquaman in my opinion, added more mythos to the character, Gave Black Manta a much better backstory as to why he hates Aquaman, Really helped re-established Aquaman as a badass, & was an overall great run.

Jeff Parker: It was pretty good. Favorite issue was Arthur attending his Highschool reunion & I liked more of the mysticism of Aquaman being explored.

Dan Jurgen: Yeah I know it's a different series but when the hell am I ever going to talk about it? Anyway The Others ongoing was a very standard but fun series & I hope that whenever Seven Seas happens that we'll finally see the team again.

Cullen Bunn: I like the IDEAS present in the run but yeah it was sadly poorly executed. I'm not mad at it just disappointing. Only good thing I'll say was at least Garth's New 52 introduction was probably the least controversial of the Original Titans.

Dan Abernatt: I've been finding Dan's run on the character to be top 10 material. Mostly because it was a superhero comic with a political talk & drama.....but is actually good! It not's annoyingly preachy or horribly one-sided like others, this one at least feels like it knows what it's doing. Currently loving the current arc.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Loved all of them and see them as sequels to a movie franchise. However the one I disliked is Bunns. Only liked the magic trident and that's it. I might re-read Parker run since I vaguely remember it.