Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Thorgi's Editorials on Marvel

That Thorgi fella on you tube through out some ideas on his vision on where marvel should go.

Condensing the books, ending crossovers for 3 years, and putting the avengers back in their mansion.

part Deux

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qWaTYEkEkw

He tends to like the Legacy characters, but feels marvel books have too much overlap. Characters should only be in 1 team book & one Solo at the same time and never more appearances than that. No Wolverine syndrome.

Is Thorgi as mad as a dumpster full of hobos? or does he make sense to you?

Thorgi?

And, really . . . "a dumpster full of hobos"?!?

I love professor Thorgi and I love his ideas for Marvel Legacy, except for Black Panther. I immediately cringed when he said that Coates understands the character. Coates needs to leave the Black panther mythos. Immediately.

it sounds cool but i don't know how feasible would it be in the long term.

part 2- i think it might have been easier to seperate line for the avengers called the legacy that focuses on the legacy characters with a few classic characters mixed in.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 09-09-2017 at 06:31 PM.

Around halfway through the first video and I'm agreeing with most points so far, but one of the things I wholeheartedly agree with is the need to advertise new books properly. The amount of new books Marvel announce then just let go with no real advertising is ridiculous, it's no wonder most of them fail.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Around halfway through the first video and I'm agreeing with most points so far, but one of the things I wholeheartedly agree with is the need to advertise new books properly. The amount of new books Marvel announce then just let go with no real advertising is ridiculous, it's no wonder most of them fail.
    I sometimes think they just want to take up shelf space and crowd out non-Marvel books.

Finished the first part and here are the things I really agree with:

- Less books (the sheer amount leads to them cannibalizing their own books)

- No line-wide events for at least three years

- Better advertising for books

- Some more books being bi-weekly

- Longer story-lines for some books (I miss when most books lasted past issue 20)

- Lower price for trades

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I sometimes think they just want to take up shelf space and crowd out non-Marvel books.
    Probably. But it's not helping much.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Agree with parts, disagree with others.

I agree that they need to trim the line, better advertise new books/creative teams and that they need to put a hold on events, and that trades need to be better priced, (and i would extend that to digital. digital doesn't have ads, so i get that is part of why they aren't cheaper, but I think the lack of printing and shipping costs more than offsets this)

but i think he is being a tad harsh with only one Avengers book, I think I would do 2, same as the X-Men. The thing is, so far with both lines, the books i like the best are not the 'main' one. I like Astonishing the best of the X-Men books, and Uncanny Avengers the best of the Avengers books, and as a fan, i would hate to see those axed in the name of tightening up the line. If, say, Avengers and X-Men Gold and Blue were the only ones available... :-/ So while I agree that like 5 Avengers books is stretching things too thin, I wouldn't want to remove reader choice on which team they prefer entirely. I also don't agree that Marvel needs to 'apologize' Are some fans upset? sure. SOME. but an apology just kind of ends up being a bit of a slap in the face to those that genuinely have enjoyed the recent books. Move forward and change the tone? sure, whatever, but it doesn't have to come across as an apology, when all that really happened is that they published some books that some fans didn't care for, which happens all the time.

Astonishing Member

I agree with most except really last choice, yes have a Young Avenger, but make it Speed, Tommy Shepherd. During the end of Children Crusade he was the only one who didn't quit the team, he didn't give up his Super hero mantle, plus him being on the same team with his kind of parents, as he was the only one from Vol 1 YA whose parents didn't get any focus, plus Speedster.
    Also didn't include Artist that is important.

Astonishing Member

Not seen part 2 yet but I think this guy is great

Seen him do some stuff with a few of the guys from comic pop who I like a lot too

I started a thread called why are the 90's disliked because I do believe there was a lot of good in the 90's but the most common answers outside of the "extreme" phase is to many events, multiple covers, and an oversaturated market. Sounds familiar? I was reading Iron Man #1 part of the Heroes Return relaunch which was a great relaunch for Iron Man, Avengers, Fantastic Four, Captain America, and Thor. Now that was February 98 and during the reorganization of Marvel they were offer as monthly subscriptions 32 books those Heroes Return Books and the following.

X-Books: X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, X-Man, Cable, Deadpool, X-Factor, Excalibur, Generation-X, X-Force, and Wolverine.

Spider-Man: Spider-Man, Amazing, Sensational, Spectacular, and Marvel Team-Up.

Marvel Heroes: Hulk, Daredevil, Silver Surfer, Thunderbolts, Elektra, Alpha Flight, What If?, Ka-Zar, Journey into Mystery, and Heroes for Hire.

Star Trek: Early Voyages and Starfleet Academy.

I think this what Marvel needs now cut back on the books, events, covers, and do the books that work and sell along as trying and giving a real push for some experimental/newer books like Ka-Zar, Heroes For Hire, Journey Into Mystery (Old Name but was focusing on other characters like Shang-Chi and Black Widow in various story arcs), and even Thunderbolts at the time a new concept.

I found his line up for the Avengers to be a little boring, honestly.

My biggest difference would be to cancel the Captain Marvel solo series and instead transition her into the role of "main Avenger" in the Avengers book. Her, working together with Sam Wilson and Tony Stark, would form the real back bone of this team. I see those three as being the most obvious candidates for a Marvel Trinity, so to speak.

So I guess my line up would be similar.

1. Captain America - Sam Wilson solo series basically as described.

2. Invisible Iron Man - Returned Tony Stark with Riri as a support character/side kick

3. Mighty Thor - Unlike Thorgi, I would just let Jason Aaron play out the Jane Foster story however he wanted, regardless of whether or not she ended up being Thor in the end or if Odison took the hammer back. At some point Thor is going to be Thor again, and if Aaron's story is what gets us there then I'm all for it. My caveat here being that while Jane Foster could continue being Thor in the solo series, she wouldn't be in the Avengers, and Odison would transition into a supporting role in this series if he isn't holding Mjolnir still.

4. The Totally Awesome Hulk - Yeah, I honestly don't know enough about this character or series to make a call, so I'll just defer to Thorgi on this one.

5. Black Panther - Again, I'll just defer to Thorgi on this one. However, if Black Panther isn't on the Avengers, then is this really an Avengers book?

6. Agents of SHIELD - So this is where things differ greatly. This would be a book revolving around a special ops SHIELD team led by Nick Fury Jr and Steve Rogers, who isn't using the Captain America mantle anymore. Agent 13, Winter Soldier, Coleson, Quake and Mockingbird round out this team book. One, this can try and capitalize on any potential drivers from the TV show, but it also gives us a place to focus on how Steve Rogers moves forward after Secret Empire. It also would be kind of a blend of Secret Avengers and USAvengers in scope and tone, which is why I would count it in this family of books. There is room for a book like that, but I do agree that it shouldn't be called "Avengers."

7. Avengers - Captain Marvel, Captain America (Sam Wilson), and Iron Man (Tony Stark) form the core of this team. Thor Odison, the original Thor, sits just on the outside of this core. I like Wasp (Nadia Pym) and Hawkeye (Clint Barton) for this lineup, too, plus Hulk (Amadeus Cho). All in all, I think the line up so far establishes this as a "feels like the Avengers" type of book, so I wouldn't play it quite so safe with the rest of the line up. Rogue and Spectrum would round out my roster. I think you could still deal with the Wanda issue within the pages of this book, but I'm not sure having her on the team in an active role is necessary to do that.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Niffleheim

I tried listening to him in the past when someone attached one of his videos here God does he take time to get to the point lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post

3. Mighty Thor - Unlike Thorgi, I would just let Jason Aaron play out the Jane Foster story however he wanted, regardless of whether or not she ended up being Thor in the end or if Odison took the hammer back. At some point Thor is going to be Thor again, and if Aaron's story is what gets us there then I'm all for it. My caveat here being that while Jane Foster could continue being Thor in the solo series, she wouldn't be in the Avengers, and Odison would transition into a supporting role in this series if he isn't holding Mjolnir still.
    ooh, yeah. I agree with this. I have liked Jane Thor, but it is clear that Jason didn't create her just because, it was because he had a specific story to tell, one which he had a long term plan for, one that I wouldn't want that overruled by editorial meddling. And that actually goes for the books in general. While there is always some wiggle room to adjust a story, (and I think that has actually happened here, with her story being lengthened somewhat) this stuff should mostly be worked out in the pitch, and after it's gotten rolling, just let things play out. I mean if a direction is particularly poorly received, and like, I mean, it would have to be a REALLY bad reaction, okay, do what you need to do to salvage it. But Thor is nowhere near that.

Professor Thorgi is one of the YouTube channels I subscribe to. He's a good guy.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/