Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Characters that should be more powerful

Who do you think should be more powerful than they are currently and why? Also, how powerful would you want them?

I think The Thing and Human Torch (Johnny) need to be more powerful.

Ben used to be able to hang with the big guys like Hulk, but now he gets downed in one hit... That shouldn't happen and he should at least be able to give Hulk a good fight.

I think Johnny should be the primo Marvel fire elemental, when most people think of flame superheroes Johnny is usually one of the first heroes that come to mind. I think his power should also be the best in that category.

Those two being stronger would also stop the Fantastic Four being over-reliant on Reed saving the day all the time, which is a problem with the FF.

My favorite character, Invisible Woman, seems to be naturally growing in power as time goes on so I'm fine with how she's been depicted in power.
    Last edited by Crimz; 09-10-2017 at 06:57 AM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Carol, Thor, She-Hulk.

Characters that should be more powerful
    Cyclops. All versions in existence.

Mutant power:

How powerful he supposedly is: Can rip through a small planet in half. But that's just narrative hyperbole.
    How powerful he actually is: Can punch through mountains at high end. Usually punches through thick metals and such easily.
    How powerful he currently is: A f@#$%^g paintball would do more damage than his optic blast. (I'm not exaggerating. Go read X-Men: Blue if you don't believe me)

How powerful he should be: Can easily break The Hulk's bones. And I mean easily. Gives Sentry and such real trouble at high end. Can damage adamantium and vibranium if he goes at them long enough.

Why he should be that powerful: What's Cyclops' schtick? He shoots incredibly powerful optic beams from his eyes, that he can't control, and has to wear special ruby quartz glasses so that he can see normally without killing anyone he looks at. Simple enough. Now here's the problem, what is the point of fearing about your uncontrollable powers, when they're not actually that powerful? "Oh shit! someone accidently took off Cyclops' glasses! He broke a table and... that's it." NO! A whole 5 mile distance should be completely obliterated when he opens his eyes for 1/3 of a second. That's dangerous. That's something to fear about.

Hand to Hand skills:

How good he is: Above average. But nothing to speak of in a universe full of expert H2H combatants.

How good he should be: At the same level as Black Widow, at the least.

Why he should be that good: Because he can't control his natural mutant powers, it makes sense that he would hone his other skills.

Side note:

His master strategist and tactician status. I don't want an upgrade. I just want the writers to remember that he is a master strategist and tactician.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Black Bolt.

He's been nerfed like mad by Charles Soule.

cyclops
    tyke

Off the top of my head I'don't say She-Hulk. If Bruce gets stronger the madder she gets in theory Jen should do the same. She got her powers from him, so they should work similarly I would think.

And I think Gods in general are weaker than one might think. Thor and most Sky Fathers and Hell Lords lords seem about right but the average god just seems to have mid level super human strength.

I'd say Johnny is the primo fire elemental (if only because OG Human Torch appearances are so inconsistent and not many people care about Inferno), but he usually holds himself back for safety reasons.

I don't remember the last time Thing actually gave a good challenge in a fight against The Hulk.

Namor. Namor use to be one of the most powerful character in the MU. One for the few characters at Marvel that can solo the Hulk and win. But recently Marvel has been chumpojg him out a bit.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Extraordinary Member

Thor, hell, even without the hammer he is an Asgardian/Elder God hybrid.
    Chthon, he is nerfed as hell in Carnage and Secret Empire
    Doctor Strange, well, he seems to be the only one still affected by the aftermath of "Last Days of Magic".Heck, Voodoo, Magik, any magic user is more powerful than Stephen in his solo!

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Namor. Namor use to be one of the most powerful character in the MU. One for the few characters at Marvel that can solo the Hulk and win. But recently Marvel has been chumpojg him out a bit.
    This. He's slowly been losing strength for decades, to the point he's losing to the Thing in water despite having putting up a fight for the entire FF on land multiple times. Incredibly inconsistent writing.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    I blame the original Defenders book for this. In his early days, Namor was a powerhouse to be feared, but in a small team book allied with Hulk, Surfer, and Dr Strange, he comes out as low man on the totem pole, despite it being a very tall totem pole.

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    Black Bolt.

He's been nerfed like mad by Charles Soule.
    Darn right, he's generally been gimped significantly in recent years (in terms of character as well, written terribly out of character), even changing his electron based voice attack into a purely sonic based one. Read the Black Bolt centric issue of the Jenkins/Lee Inhumans series and then his recent appearances and it's like a whole different character. This was a character that faced off against a version of Graviton that was a cosmic living black hole entity that could create miniature black holes, and not only did Black Bolt contain those mini black holes in force fields, but turned a boulder into anti-matter to use as a weapon against that version of Graviton. Not to mention he's faced off against Gladiator, Maelstrom, Vulcan, ripped a darn supermassive hole in the fabric of reality, etc.

Dr. Strange has had a similarly rough treatment in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandEleven View Post
    Most of he upper Pantheon, but especially The Living Tribunal. Secret Wars couldnt have happened without some PIS on his part but then to be killed off by order/chaos ... he's lost status. Most the Pantheon needs to be refreshed, really.
    As much as have enjoyed some of the stories by Hickman (his FF), and Ewing (The Ultimates, more specifically the second series/second half), their version of the cosmos never really fleshed with the classic version. Their versions of The Living Tribunal were part of the multiverse, not apart from it, with Ewing's in particular being an abstract judgment system within Eternity/multi-Eternity, not above it like he was previously.
    I don't think things are too far gone, but they've changed so much that it's not worth it to an extent in the current climate where editorial and continuity means less than it did when the Gruenwald gang were around (and the spirit continued after Gruenwald passed for a while at least, until the early 2000's or so, until the Quesada era was in full effect).
    Last edited by Chainsaw Vigilante; 09-12-2017 at 02:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Who do you think should be more powerful than they are currently and why? Also, how powerful would you want them?

I think The Thing and Human Torch (Johnny) need to be more powerful.

Ben used to be able to hang with the big guys like Hulk, but now he gets downed in one hit... That shouldn't happen and he should at least be able to give Hulk a good fight.

I think Johnny should be the primo Marvel fire elemental, when most people think of flame superheroes Johnny is usually one of the first heroes that come to mind. I think his power should also be the best in that category.

Those two being stronger would also stop the Fantastic Four being over-reliant on Reed saving the day all the time, which is a problem with the FF.

My favorite character, Invisible Woman, seems to be naturally growing in power as time goes on so I'm fine with how she's been depicted in power.
    Whole heartedly agree with you about Ben and Johnny. (Although as I've often said, my ideal for Ben would be to make him really, really fast, rather than substantially increase his strengh.)

One strange aspect in Johnny's case is that my gut feeling is that Uncle Stan wrote him doing a wider variety of feats than most modern writers...that if anything his skilled use of his powers has declined over the years rather than increased.

I'd also like to see Johnny and Ben's "other" skills given more prominence. In original run Johnny was a very skilled mechanic, who built stuff for Reed. And it should be clear that Ben is the pilot because he's miles better at that than the others, not just because he fancies doing it.

Ben Grimm (as others have said he should be one of the strongest)

Dr. Strange (I long for a day when a writer who can plot a good high-level magic series/character takes over the reins... it's been far too long since there has been a really good mind- and reality-bending adventure there).

Carol Danvers (I'd love to see more of her Binary power set get used).

Thor (as others have said, he's a God, not just a guy with a hammer).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    Dr. Strange (I long for a day when a writer who can plot a good high-level magic series/character takes over the reins... it's been far too long since there has been a really good mind- and reality-bending adventure there).
    >current Marvel
    >writting Magic correctly
    >OP at that

You're better off waiting for Miracleman to be finished.