Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

More powerful? Over the years I've had some crazy ideas on the subject. Here are some of them. Try not to laugh too much. It's only cool until your coffee starts shooting out of your nostrils.

1. Redwing. In one of my many fanfics back in the day, I penned Redwing as one of the facets of the god, Horus. In the myths there was Horus the Elder, who according to some tomes was the brother of Osiris. But there was also Horus the Younger, who was the son of Osiris. I wanted Redwing to be Horus the Elder, trapped in avian form, but able in some way to assist the Falcon by gradually bestowing upon him powers over time. Sam's ability to talk to birds was just the start. When it was all said and done, Redwing would act like the Uni-Power does with Captain Universe and give Falcon a set of limited abilities that would make him more effective as a champion for the common man. One of the built-in limitations, of course, is that Redwing/Horus the Elder isn't able to access his full complement of powers on this side of Heliopolis, so naturally, he can't turn Sam into some OP cosmic level character. But he could give Sam the power to speak to creatures, the ability to fly without the jetpack, moderately enhanced senses, strength, stamina and durability. And in battle Redwing would even aid Sam by acting as debuff support by stealthily draining the energies from opponents without them knowing it, making them weaker and Sam more effective in hand to hand combat. Lastly, I wanted Redwing to be Sam's life support, capable of erecting a force field that provided Sam with the oxygen and nutrients needed to survive for about 21 days in the void of space.

2. Monica Rambeau. Ewing did a great job of restoring Monica to some of her top end levels, but I'm still not content. Not yet. I mentioned this in another thread, but I think Monica as the living embodiment of electromagnetic spectrum should be able to manifest anywhere -- and any time -- that said energy is extant, just like Mephisto can manifest anywhere that evil exists. I'm not saying that she should be able to do this effortlessly. There should be a cost. But I'm sick and tired of seeing Monica trapped by force fields, energy barriers and all manner of shields, which otherwise do nothing to keep out ambient light. Monica is ambient light. She should be able to pass through anything, if normal light can pass. She has the gift of cosmic awareness now. It would be cool to see Monica use that in conjunction with her light manifestation powers in a manner that she calls "spectral displacement" to phase out from one location on Earth only to reappear in another universe to help an alien species in distress.

3. Blue Marvel. For every person that says that he's already OP, there are thousands of others who insist, and I agree with them, that he's not in the same category as Molecule Man, adult Franklin Richards, Phoenix, Mjolnir or Odinforce wielding Thor, World Breaker Hulk, Void/Sentry and on and on and on and on. Truth be told, we really don't know what his upper level is, but even Anti-Man now apparently surpasses him, since Anti-Man's energy manipulation abilities are limitless. Since it took over 70+ years for Marvel to create someone like Blue Marvel, let's go ahead and max him out. In theory he should be every bit as powerful as Anti-Man, but just so that there isn't any doubt, I would boost him even further. And I would do it with a creative twist. Adam thinks that the Neutral Zone can kill him. He's partially right. But somehow he's completely ignoring the fact that two people that he knows -- Kevin Brashear and Anti-Man -- have survived in the Neutral Zone indefinitely. In fact, both have become more powerful, perhaps due to exposure of the NZ. What if Adam is wrong? What if destabilization and disincorporation is necessary for him to evolve to the next level? Sometimes you have to tear down muscle in order to build new, stronger sinew. Same goes with intellect. So yeah, one of Adam's old enemies surfaces and tosses him into the Neutral Zone without his armor, thinking that will kill him. Blue Marvel emerges more powerful than ever. Only this time, the boost also encompasses the latent psionic potential found in all humans, and Adam becomes a multi-level cosmic badass with basic telepathy, cosmic scale telekinesis, end-game matter manipulation and rearrangement, post-cognitive discernment, and other mental powers tossed in for good measure. Too OP? Not really. It's nothing that we haven't seen from Sentry, the Silver Surfer, the Watcher and others. But it does firmly put Blue Marvel in the same category as Molecule Man, adult Franklin Richards, Phoenix, Mjolnir or Odinforce wielding Thor, World Breaker Hulk, Void/Sentry, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Still worried? Don't be. Blue Marvel will probably be in comic book limbo for the next 10 years anyway. Still, it will be nice to say that he exists.

4. Dr. Strange. When you think about all of the characters in the MU that owe their powers to magic, it's really a shame that Stephen doesn't use magic to temporarily achieve analogous boosts. This would probably ruin the character for many of his fans, but I would definitely show Stephen as being able to cast spells on either himself or other friendlies that temporarily boost their physical abilities depending on the situation. I would also have Stephen create a magical device of some sort. That's what really powerful mages do, from Merlin to Odin on down the line. It's time for Stephen to step up. The eldritch Staff of Stephen Strange is waiting.

5. She Hulk. This, too, might ruin the character, but in the interest of a good laugh, Jen gets the power of flight. The story goes, one day Jen is bored watching cable TV and every single channel seems to have an episode of the Avengers on. Perturbed, Jen breaks through the 4th Wall and storms DisMarvel headquarters demanding to be in the next Avengers movie. The execs tell her that they tried and she didn't screen well to an audience of 500 viewers. A majority of the respondents claim that Jen's powers are too boring, so the execs decide to make changes to spruce her up based on the respondents' recommendations. The execs promise her that if she can change the perception of their consumer base in a year, she'll be cast in the next Avengers movie. And so for a full year the She-Hulk gets magic pauldrons and cape that allows her to fly. To be sure, she's infuriated and mortified, but she wears it. Further, she gets a new costume that has a really short skirt. Again, more mortified and infuriated that anyone would dare tell her what to wear, but she goes with it. Next the execs take her down to the CGI department and tweak her physique and even the tint of her skin and hair. They make her less hippy and a lighter shade of green. Her green locks are also gone, replaced by a platinum silver coiffe. This to give her a more exotic look, or so the execs say. Lastly, She-Hulk is bequeathed a morning star mace and a kusarigama, which have "special properties." Jen spends most of her time trying to get the special powers to trigger, of course. The point of this storyline is less about Jen getting new powers than it is about all of the crap that women actors have to go through in order to get movie roles in Hollywood compared to their male counterparts. And yes, at some point in the story Jen returns to DisMarvel HQ to back out of the deal, but she's shunted into a meeting with middle management, one of whom looks an awfully alot like Hercules and who tries to give her the casting couch treatment. We're not sure what happened to that guy, but we do notice that Jen no longer has the morning star mace after that issue. My guess is that the mid-management exec still has it painfully lodged in a place where the sun doesn't shine.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 09-10-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Astonishing Member

Galactus - he shud have been able to stroll through the earth defence shield if he wanted

Ben and johnny need a bump too, Ben should be able to engage any physical threat and hold his own for a solid ruck

Thor even without his hammer shud be major power if a little more reckless and unrestricted

Spectrum shud be same ish level as a herald and in fact has had a bump in ultimates

Luke cage shud be much more powerful, stronger and more invulnerable

Adam brashir shud be seen as silver surfer level doing things beyond just being physicality powerful, again some good things in ultimates but much more could be made of him

Carol shud get her binary form back to show she's earth's mightiest If that's what she is supposed to be

majick could be the next sorcerer supreme while strange accends to ancient one cosmic levels

and Hercules should be much stronger

Imo
    Last edited by kilderkin; 09-10-2017 at 01:35 PM.

Obviously Galactus. I do not like that he's often thwarted by the forces of Earth. Sometimes, I wish he was limited in use just to really emphasize his power.

Next, I wish Blackheart had better showing.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    More powerful? Over the years I've had some crazy ideas on the subject. Here are some of them. Try not to laugh too much. It's only cool until your coffee starts shooting out of your nostrils.

1. Redwing. In one of my many fanfics back in the day, I penned Redwing as one of the facets of the god, Horus. In the myths there was Horus the Elder, who according to some tomes was the brother of Osiris. But there was also Horus the Younger, who was the son of Osiris. I wanted Redwing to be Horus the Elder, trapped in avian form, but able in some way to assist the Falcon by gradually bestowing upon him powers over time. Sam's ability to talk to birds was just the start. When it was all said and done, Redwing would act like the Uni-Power does with Captain Universe and give Falcon a set of limited abilities that would make him more effective as a champion for the common man. One of the built-in limitations, of course, is that Redwing/Horus the Elder isn't able to access his full complement of powers on this side of Heliopolis, so naturally, he can't turn Sam into some OP cosmic level character. But he could give Sam the power to speak to creatures, the ability to fly without the jetpack, moderately enhanced senses, strength, stamina and durability. And in battle Redwing would even aid Sam by acting as debuff support by stealthily draining the energies from opponents without them knowing it, making them weaker and Sam more effective in hand to hand combat. Lastly, I wanted Redwing to be Sam's life support, capable of erecting a force field that provided Sam with the oxygen and nutrients needed to survive for about 21 days in the void of space.

2. Monica Rambeau. Ewing did a great job of restoring Monica to some of her top end levels, but I'm still not content. Not yet. I mentioned this in another thread, but I think Monica as the living embodiment of electromagnetic spectrum should be able to manifest anywhere -- and any time -- that said energy is extant, just like Mephisto can manifest anywhere that evil exists. I'm not saying that she should be able to do this effortlessly. There should be a cost. But I'm sick and tired of seeing Monica trapped by force fields, energy barriers and all manner of shields, which otherwise do nothing to keep out ambient light. Monica is ambient light. She should be able to pass through anything, if normal light can pass. She has the gift of cosmic awareness now. It would be cool to see Monica use that in conjunction with her light manifestation powers in a manner that she calls "spectral displacement" to phase out from one location on Earth only to reappear in another universe to help an alien species in distress.

3. Blue Marvel. For every person that says that he's already OP, there are thousands of others who insist, and I agree with them, that he's not in the same category as Molecule Man, adult Franklin Richards, Phoenix, Mjolnir or Odinforce wielding Thor, World Breaker Hulk, Void/Sentry and on and on and on and on. Truth be told, we really don't know what his upper level is, but even Anti-Man now apparently surpasses him, since Anti-Man's energy manipulation abilities are limitless. Since it took over 70+ years for Marvel to create someone like Blue Marvel, let's go ahead and max him out. In theory he should be every bit as powerful as Anti-Man, but just so that there isn't any doubt, I would boost him even further. And I would do it with a creative twist. Adam thinks that the Neutral Zone can kill him. He's partially right. But somehow he's completely ignoring the fact that two people that he knows -- Kevin Brashear and Anti-Man -- have survived in the Neutral Zone indefinitely. In fact, both have become more powerful, perhaps due to exposure of the NZ. What if Adam is wrong? What if destabilization and disincorporation is necessary for him to evolve to the next level? Sometimes you have to tear down muscle in order to build new, stronger sinew. Same goes with intellect. So yeah, one of Adam's old enemies surfaces and tosses him into the Neutral Zone without his armor, thinking that will kill him. Blue Marvel emerges more powerful than ever. Only this time, the boost also encompasses the latent psionic potential found in all humans, and Adam becomes a multi-level cosmic badass with basic telepathy, cosmic scale telekinesis, end-game matter manipulation and rearrangement, post-cognitive discernment, and other mental powers tossed in for good measure. Too OP? Not really. It's nothing that we haven't seen from Sentry, the Silver Surfer, the Watcher and others. But it does firmly put Blue Marvel in the same category as Molecule Man, adult Franklin Richards, Phoenix, Mjolnir or Odinforce wielding Thor, World Breaker Hulk, Void/Sentry, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Still worried? Don't be. Blue Marvel will probably be in comic book limbo for the next 10 years anyway. Still, it will be nice to say that he exists.

4. Dr. Strange. When you think about all of the characters in the MU that owe their powers to magic, it's really a shame that Stephen doesn't use magic to temporarily achieve analogous boosts. This would probably ruin the character for many of his fans, but I would definitely show Stephen as being able to cast spells on either himself or other friendlies that temporarily boost their physical abilities depending on the situation. I would also have Stephen create a magical device of some sort. That's what really powerful mages do, from Merlin to Odin on down the line. It's time for Stephen to step up. The eldritch Staff of Stephen Strange is waiting.

5. She Hulk. This, too, might ruin the character, but in the interest of a good laugh, Jen gets the power of flight. The story goes, one day Jen is bored watching cable TV and every single channel seems to have an episode of the Avengers on. Perturbed, Jen breaks through the 4th Wall and storms DisMarvel headquarters demanding to be in the next Avengers movie. The execs tell her that they tried and she didn't screen well to an audience of 500 viewers. A majority of the respondents claim that Jen's powers are too boring, so the execs decide to make changes to spruce her up based on the respondents' recommendations. The execs promise her that if she can change the perception of their consumer base in a year, she'll be cast in the next Avengers movie. And so for a full year the She-Hulk gets magic pauldrons and cape that allows her to fly. To be sure, she's infuriated and mortified, but she wears it. Further, she gets a new costume that has a really short skirt. Again, more mortified and infuriated that anyone would dare tell her what to wear, but she goes with it. Next the execs take her down to the CGI department and tweak her physique and even the tint of her skin and hair. They make her less hippy and a lighter shade of green. Her green locks are also gone, replaced by a platinum silver coiffe. This to give her a more exotic look, or so the execs say. Lastly, She-Hulk is bequeathed a morning star mace and a kusarigama, which have "special properties." Jen spends most of her time trying to get the special powers to trigger, of course. The point of this storyline is less about Jen getting new powers than it is about all of the crap that women actors have to go through in order to get movie roles in Hollywood compared to their male counterparts. And yes, at some point in the story Jen returns to DisMarvel HQ to back out of the deal, but she's shunted into a meeting with middle management, one of whom looks an awfully alot like Hercules and who tries to give her the casting couch treatment. We're not sure what happened to that guy, but we do notice that Jen no longer has the morning star mace after that issue. My guess is that the mid-management exec still has it painfully lodged in a place where the sun doesn't shine.
    I agree with everything here.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Doctor Stephen Strange is in a weird spot for me right now. Obviously he needs a boost from his current "Last Days of Magic" depowering. However, is he really going to be stuck at this level? I'm convinced all of his previous levels are coming back. I'd expect some sense of cost of magic to be involved in Strange's future status quo, but the Sorcerer Supreme as a low-level magician ain't right.

The Thing needs a boost and should be close to Hulk and Thor. This 90 ton thing (pun unintended) when class 100s are being given out like candy at a parade is unacceptable. Ben is up there, not on top, but pretty damn close.

Dr. Doom and Dr. Strange: Dr. Doom may be an odd choice for some, considering he's achieved god-level power before. He's supposed to be a sorcerer nearly on-par with Dr. Strange, yet it never seems this way. As for Dr. Strange, his powers seem so minimal for the so-called "sorcerer supreme".

Galactus: He was once a formidable foe, but now he's been relegated to a cosmic plaything. I still wonder how the Ultimates achieved what they did with Galactus.

The Living Tribunal: He got dummied twice: once by the Beyonders and again by Logos. He's a punching bag now.

"Unworthy" Thor: He's the Norse god of thunder and god of strength. Losing the hammer shouldn't have made him so weak.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    Dr. Doom and Dr. Strange: Dr. Doom may be an odd choice for some, considering he's achieved god-level power before. He's supposed to be a sorcerer nearly on-par with Dr. Strange, yet it never seems this way. As for Dr. Strange, his powers seem so minimal for the so-called "sorcerer supreme".

Galactus: He was once a formidable foe, but now he's been relegated to a cosmic plaything. I still wonder how the Ultimates achieved what they did with Galactus.

The Living Tribunal: He got dummied twice: once by the Beyonders and again by Logos. He's a punching bag now.

"Unworthy" Thor: He's the Norse god of thunder and god of strength. Losing the hammer shouldn't have made him so weak.
    Agreed Especially about tribunal and galactus

Iron Fist never used Shou-lau's chi as creatively as his predecessors so I wouldn't go for him being stronger just more versatile. He could use his chi to do more than just punch stuff really hard.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 09-10-2017 at 05:08 PM.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post

I have to disagree with Doom. I think it makes him more appealing to me for him not to be on par with the likes of a Sorcerer Supreme. It's ok for him to dabble, but anyone on Stephen's level coupled with Doom's sense of ethics and morals wouldn't really need to constantly yearn and scrounge for ultimate godlike power every time it presents itself. And the fact that Doom seems to acquire godlike power only to squander it just makes him being an elite level mystic even more implausible and frankly, unreadable. I'm fine with him being a scientific genius. Not ok with him also being a mage with few equals. There isn't much that a person with both of those arrows in his quiver couldn't do...with or without ultimate power.

I do agree that Thor should be more than he's been shown to be without Mjolnir. As the progeny of Gaea, one of the top Elder Gods, and All-Father Odin, Thor Odinson should already be in a class all his own. He should be able to push Skyfathers without Mjolnir.

I don't much like power creep, while in constantly continuing series its going to be inevitable, there should be some sort of soft power cap/ cling. I think the Youtuber Gigguk raises a good point here.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I have to disagree with Doom. I think it makes him more appealing to me for him not to be on par with the likes of a Sorcerer Supreme. It's ok for him to dabble, but anyone on Stephen's level coupled with Doom's sense of ethics and morals wouldn't really need to constantly yearn and scrounge for ultimate godlike power every time it presents itself. And the fact that Doom seems to acquire godlike power only to squander it just makes him being an elite level mystic even more implausible and frankly, unreadable. I'm fine with him being a scientific genius. Not ok with him also being a mage with few equals. There isn't much that a person with both of those arrows in his quiver couldn't do...with or without ultimate power.
    Doom strikes me as a character who's most comparable to a decathlon athlete. He pretty darn good in many areas, World class in many, but not the best in all of them. The Sorcerer Supreme status should be one requiring years of study and work. During Roger Stern's stint on Dr Strange, there was a rumor Strange was much older than he looked. I liked that as it gives Strange much more time for his craft. I see Doom as someone talented enough to get up to a certain level quickly, but certainly not to a Strange (or even Mordo) level. Still, his magicks are potent and his scientific accomplishments extraordinary. Kind of a jack-of-all-trades.

BANNED

Ororo Munroe aka Storm

Angel (Cosmic) - I forget when exactly he did this but it was during the Black Vortex crossover where he, alongside Beast and Gamora, smashed an entire Kree city to dust. He also one-shot the Blob, who his entire team couldn't take down (even Wolverine). He was smashing through armies of Limbo demons, but now he's recently been as useless as "being careful not to burn down a tree". He's treated as such a non-threat on the X-Men Blue team when he should, currently, be the most powerful one there.

When Hulk gets back I really hope they don't lowball him like a lot of writers seem obsessed with doing, or using him as a measuring stick. I'd also like him to stay of teams because he's honestly a bit too powerful for pretty much any sort of team, which means he either overshadows other characters and pisses off their fans, or gets chumped, pissing off Hulk fans.

I will say I have to disagree with a lot of what people on this thread have said, its shouldn't be easy for anyone short of Galactus to 'break Hulk's bones,' a big point of the character is how powerful he is, if he could be easily shut down by half the heroes in the Marvel Universe than that takes away a lot from Hulk and Banner's struggle to stay in control.

I'd also really like to see a return to the older comics having huge reversals, where Hulk's rage really gives a noticeable burst in strength, we haven't seen anything like that since Pak's original run almost a decade ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Likewater View Post
    I don't much like power creep, while in constantly continuing series its going to be inevitable, there should be some sort of soft power cap/ cling. I think the Youtuber Gigguk raises a good point here.

Generally speaking, I do think power creep is pretty unecessary at least for good guys.

If good guys basically win 99% of the time at their current power level, then the need for them to get more powerful sort of escapes me.

Villains are a different story though. I think they often need power creep just to keep things interesting.