Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Plastic Man is pretty creepy. I mean, was this actually published?

I really don't understand how a character like this is seen as being a "hero".

what's scary is..if it comes to a fight, WW arguably will lose to Plas XD

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    "Being a member of the JLA requires some moral authority."

I live for the day when people finally realize that "moral authority" has never been an actual requirement for any job, like, EVER. See: police officers, politicians, teachers, religious leaders of all creeds, and yes, even super-heroes. Hell, I automatically would distrust anybody who tries to pass themselves off as a "moral authority" and would wonder exactly what they're trying to hide.
    JLA mind wiped batman and brainwashed the white martians, an entire race..hard to take their moral authority now don't you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    No, it is not harmless. And if **** like this is a fundamental part of Plastic Man then the character belongs in the same garbage pile as Whitewash Jones.
    You don't know much about Plas now do you?

Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    George Carlin would be constantly shredded by the Hive Mind. Not that he would care. Or Richard Pryor either. (Admittedly, Pryor would be too high to care).
    or Eddie Murphy or Dave Chappelle

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Well, fans don't just take the stuff they are fans off a fiction and entertainment. They analyse the crap out of it.
    Analyze the crap out of a shape shifter turning into a lamp then getting caught by WW ?
    what else did you analyze from that?

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbytes View Post

let me add another

Plastic_Man_015.jpg

he's not a 'hero' in the traditional sense, more of an anti hero.
    he was a thief who got powers that turned to a life of heroism...so he tends to act like an ass most of the time.

Morrison's run on the JLA made him the 'dionysius' of their pantheon.
    the greek god of wine and madness, most modern adapations of him are based off that.
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Pretty sure that image is from JLA: Welcome to the Work Week. Written by comedian Patton Oswald. One of the most outspoken liberals and feminists in Hollywood.

The people who's lives he's saved probably don't give a damn that he's a creep.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I like Plastic Man.

I feel like that's all I can add to this discussion at this point .

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I think the issue with this kind of thinking is that it suggests humour is somehow the highest, most protected form of speech. It is so protected that I, as a consumer, am stripped of my ability to criticize it or else I am policing the comedian. I can't imagine any other scenario where this relationship exists, let alone upheld so fervently by free-speech enthusiasts.

Not to mention this idea that humour is above criticism has encouraged people to pass otherwise unacceptable speech under the guise of humour.
    Indeed the comedian is vulnerable to the consequences of his/her actions. Just look at Kathy Griffith, who's career ended because she crossed a line. But the comedian is still allowed to tell their joke. You don't have to like it or support it, but they do not have to change their joke because you have a problem with it (assuming it isn't legally defined hate-speech or anything). You (or I or anyone) have the right to be offended, but everyone else has the right not to care if you are.

The panels being posted are from another age and the context of their original intent matters. And even then Plas' actions were not designed to look cool or to be something to emulate; he was the "bad guy" in these situations, getting called out and threatened for his douchebaggery by the very women he thoughtlessly tried to grope. Call it a learning experience for young readers "Don't grab women by their p***ies like Plas just tried to do or they'll kick your ass." (perhaps trump never read comics as a kid). None of these panels show me a noble guy; they show me a dickhead with a noble job (much like many cops, firefighters, and doctors are assholes in respectable, noble positions.) Which makes sense since Plas isn't a nice guy, he's a crook with a guilty conscience who realized life was a lot easier working with the system.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

For those interested in actually understanding how certain representations of misogyny work, and why the often trotted out justifications are inadequate, this video is a good primer.

The part on Howard is the most relevant when it comes to the instances of Plastic Man that have been brought up. While the video isn't about Plastic Man or superheroes, it's a good starting point to understanding the problems brought up in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    The panels being posted are from another age and the context of their original intent matters. And even then Plas' actions were not designed to look cool or to be something to emulate; he was the "bad guy" in these situations, getting called out and threatened for his douchebaggery by the very women he thoughtlessly tried to grope. Call it a learning experience for young readers "Don't grab women by their p***ies like Plas just tried to do or they'll kick your ass." (perhaps trump never read comics as a kid). None of these panels show me a noble guy; they show me a dickhead with a noble job (much like many cops, firefighters, and doctors are assholes in respectable, noble positions.) Which makes sense since Plas isn't a nice guy, he's a crook with a guilty conscience who realized life was a lot easier working with the system.
    Totally Agree with you here.
    I'm much happier his recent appearances in Injustice is about him trying to be a good father to his son than his wild and wacky days in the JLA.
    Hopefully his mainstream DC appearance will be in line with this as well.

While i definitely do not condone or excuse his behaviour to Barda and Wonder Woman, there needs to be diversity in characters as well. Not everyone has to be white meat babyfaces or Dr Light.
    Last edited by dzub; 09-11-2017 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Typos
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

I personally think he should be a guarded character that only creators deemed 'worthy' should be allowed to touch, like The Spirit.
    Unfortunately, he's owned by a corporation and not a 'Jack Cole estate' or something that would have more of an interest in protecting the character's image.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

A lot of things in the past was considered appropriate but now it would offend a lot of people. Plastic Man was of an older time. Some would be offended by this and others would find it funny. The solution is not to restrict writers from doing their jobs. There shall be freedom to write what they want. At the same time writers are no fools. A good writer understands the times and writes accordingly.
    I don't think any sensible writer would write such a thing now for comedic effect in a book like JL. And if a writer does this he is seeking a different audience. There is an audience for Deadpool. But i am not part of that so i can ignore Deadpool books. Plastic Man is a character. If he does something like this in his own titles its ok. Those who want may read it. This shall not be in books like Justice League. I am no Wertham but i think the books shall be enjoyable to me yet can be shared with kids. Especially those which seek a wider audience like JL. Deadpool like characters have a narrower audience. Such antics shall be restricted to their own titles.

If he hangs around with JL i am ok as long as such things are not shown in the books of JL.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 09-11-2017 at 10:53 PM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    I always thought Deadpool was a combination of the 1988 Clint Eastwood movie The Deadpool
    and Mike Baron's 1983 comic book creation Badger.
    They probably got the name from the Eastwood movie but DP was created by Rob Liefeld as a character to appear in Marvel's New Mutants title. As an inside joke, writer Fabian Nicieza made one of Deadpool's aliases Wade Wilson ( Deathstroke's real name is Slade Wilson). However, Fabian took DP in a different direction by giving him an over the top smart alec personality. Other writers continued to add more satire as part of the character.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Pretty sure that image is from JLA: Welcome to the Work Week. Written by comedian Patton Oswald. One of the most outspoken liberals and feminists in Hollywood.
    Neat, wasn't aware he wrote it. That being said that doesn't really change much. Anyone can write a really badly thought out occurence in a story. And I love Patton.

Ultimately I don't think he HAS been portrayed this way (at least to the extent being discussed here) ever since Identity Crisis for all the reasons folks are bringing up. Which is for the best. You can still be a sleeze etc... or a jokester without it being overtly "Lol sexual assault" like he's occassionally been.

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post
    what's scary is..if it comes to a fight, WW arguably will lose to Plas XD

JLA mind wiped batman and brainwashed the white martians, an entire race..hard to take their moral authority now don't you agree?

You don't know much about Plas now do you?

or Eddie Murphy or Dave Chappelle

Analyze the crap out of a shape shifter turning into a lamp then getting caught by WW ?
    what else did you analyze from that?

let me add another

Plastic_Man_015.jpg

he's not a 'hero' in the traditional sense, more of an anti hero.
    he was a thief who got powers that turned to a life of heroism...so he tends to act like an ass most of the time.

Morrison's run on the JLA made him the 'dionysius' of their pantheon.
    the greek god of wine and madness, most modern adapations of him are based off that.
    Why would WW lose to Plas?

Invincible Member

Plastic Man was once the star of a Sat morning kid's cartoon back in the 70's and he certainly wasn't peeping on women during the show. It's not like being lecherous is the guy's only or main personality trait.

Plastic Man really does have a lot of instances of him perving on women using his powers.
    It would be okay if he weren't presented as a hero or it all being one big joke
    Nowadays these jokes just leave a bad taste in your mouth.