Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Plastic Man was once the star of a Sat morning kid's cartoon back in the 70's and he certainly wasn't peeping on women during the show. It's not like being lecherous is the guy's only or main personality trait.
    Nope. He wasn't peeping on women in the comics of that time or when my father was a kid, either. It's a fairly recent development that he has been portrayed that way.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Why would WW lose to Plas?
    He has insane durability. Diana would find it very hard to do damage to him. Punches? Won't do much. The sword might be a problem if she's willing to kill or maim him.

Meanwhile, he can stretch a finger up her nose or into her ears and play havoc with her brain while wrapping himself around her to restrain her.

Diana's best bet would probably be the Lasso, and I'm not positive he can't just slip out of it. Failing that, she'd need to do something to exploit his weaknesses, which tend to be extreme temperatures. Cold immobilizes him and heat makes him go all gooey.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Nope. He wasn't peeping on women in the comics of that time or when my father was a kid, either. It's a fairly recent development that he has been portrayed that way.
    And not even a long-running development since that aspect of his character hasn't been used much in recent years. As I pointed out, he hasn't been portrayed as nearly as pervy in Justice League Action. He's just a goofball that people tend to underestimate.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    And not even a long-running development since that aspect of his character hasn't been used much in recent years. As I pointed out, he hasn't been portrayed as nearly as pervy in Justice League Action. He's just a goofball that people tend to underestimate.
    I agree, but I guess it will take a while before most fans catch up to that fact.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Plastic Man was once the star of a Sat morning kid's cartoon back in the 70's and he certainly wasn't peeping on women during the show. It's not like being lecherous is the guy's only or main personality trait.
    It's not like it was an issue on Brave and the Bold or Justice League Action either.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Yeah, I chalk it up to the tendency to pervert superheroes into mature (or raunchy) humor because they can't just be 'innocent fun'.

See the jokes about Elongated Man/Sue Dibny or Mr. Fantastic/Invisible Woman... or Ant-Man/Wasp (which, I believe, actually did make it into a comic).
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Yeah, I chalk it up to the tendency to pervert superheroes into mature (or raunchy) humor because they can't just be 'innocent fun'.

See the jokes about Elongated Man/Sue Dibny or Mr. Fantastic/Invisible Woman... or Ant-Man/Wasp (which, I believe, actually did make it into a comic).
    What jokes were made about Antman and Wasp? You know besides the ones about Hank being a domestic abuser?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    He has insane durability. Diana would find it very hard to do damage to him. Punches? Won't do much. The sword might be a problem if she's willing to kill or maim him.

Meanwhile, he can stretch a finger up her nose or into her ears and play havoc with her brain while wrapping himself around her to restrain her.

Diana's best bet would probably be the Lasso, and I'm not positive he can't just slip out of it. Failing that, she'd need to do something to exploit his weaknesses, which tend to be extreme temperatures. Cold immobilizes him and heat makes him go all gooey.
    While Plasticman CAN be a bit threat an actual fight between the two would largely consist of him being punted into the stratosphere and freezing up there or falling back at super speed and being melted.

Still he DID put up a great fight agaisnt the Burning Martian Fernus though...even that shouldn't have worked given said weakness to heat etc...

He's somewhat strong but short of major PIS like the Burning Martian fight most of his powers wouldn't be a threat against Diana short of her well not taking him seriously. Something you'd have to write her quite badly to do (as she's usually extremely serious about anyone she battles).

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What jokes were made about Antman and Wasp? You know besides the ones about Hank being a domestic abuser?
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    A lot of things in the past was considered appropriate but now it would offend a lot of people. Plastic Man was of an older time. Some would be offended by this and others would find it funny. The solution is not to restrict writers from doing their jobs. There shall be freedom to write what they want. At the same time writers are no fools. A good writer understands the times and writes accordingly.
    I don't think any sensible writer would write such a thing now for comedic effect in a book like JL. And if a writer does this he is seeking a different audience. There is an audience for Deadpool. But i am not part of that so i can ignore Deadpool books. Plastic Man is a character. If he does something like this in his own titles its ok. Those who want may read it. This shall not be in books like Justice League. I am no Wertham but i think the books shall be enjoyable to me yet can be shared with kids. Especially those which seek a wider audience like JL. Deadpool like characters have a narrower audience. Such antics shall be restricted to their own titles.

If he hangs around with JL i am ok as long as such things are not shown in the books of JL.
    I would say its an issue that he is a member of the JLA, mostly because, as I said before, is the only qualification to be a superhero and a member of the premier superhero group that you punch the right people? However that doesn't mean this type of character should be banned, if he did this in his own title, well then okay, I probably just won't go back and read it.

I do wonder how pervasive this type of behavior was in DC's early 2000's publishing line, as this was published in 2002 and Identity Crisis happened in 2004. I mean for those saying, "Well it was a different time!", this was only 15 years ago, not more than half a century ago like in those Silver Age stories.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Whether you like him or hate him, his "perviness" fits his persona and style. He's a type of scoundrel, not unlike Han Solo.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's not like it was an issue on Brave and the Bold or Justice League Action either.
    True, but a couple of people seem to be suggesting that groping women is essential to the character. I'm just pointing out that I don't think it is.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I would say its an issue that he is a member of the JLA, mostly because, as I said before, is the only qualification to be a superhero and a member of the premier superhero group that you punch the right people? However that doesn't mean this type of character should be banned, if he did this in his own title, well then okay, I probably just won't go back and read it.

I do wonder how pervasive this type of behavior was in DC's early 2000's publishing line, as this was published in 2002 and Identity Crisis happened in 2004. I mean for those saying, "Well it was a different time!", this was only 15 years ago, not more than half a century ago like in those Silver Age stories.
    There was a lot of eyebrow raising stuff coming out from DC maybe several years ago. Stuff that makes the Plastic Man scan look tame to tell the truth. Identity Crisis, Cry For Justice, trying to turn Hal Jordan into some sort of stud...

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    By today's standards, that sort of thing would never fly. But if the League only recruited saints, a lot of people wouldn't be there. Im not defending Plas' actions here, because that's totally not okay, but the League is full of deeply flawed people, some of them much worse than Plas.

We hadn't seen the rise of the uber-sensitives yet. Culture was well on its way to where we are now, but you didn't see the same kind of uproar over everything, nor the insistence that their viewpoint was the only correct one. College kids didn't need safe spaces. A lot has changed about the culture of tolerance in the last fifteen years.

As for how pervasive this was in DC? I dont think things would get real disturbing until Identity Crisis/Infinite Crisis. I recall the early 00's being mostly just....bland. But that could just be me, the books I was reading at the time, and a faulty memory.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

True, but a couple of people seem to be suggesting that groping women is essential to the character. I'm just pointing out that I don't think it is.
    It's not.
    Those pervy/creepy panels of him happened in the JLA.
    Anyone familiar with Morrison's JLA knows he based the team off the Greek Pantheon.

Superman was Zeus.
    Batman was Hades
    Steel was Hepasteus
    Huntress was Artemis
    Oracle as Athena
    So on and so forth

As i've mentioned here before, Plastic Man played the role of Dionysus
    Dionysus the god of the grape harvest, winemaking and wine, of ritual madness, fertility theatre and religious ecstasy.
    He's mad, he's a trickster and he's a fertility god.
    Which explains his behaviour.

Post WW3 his 'Dionysus' personality was slowly written out and had more substance and maturity to him.
    When Id split the heroes with their secret identity, it was Eel o Brien who got them back together.
    He went to search for his son with Batman.
    Post Obsidian Age, he quit being a superhero to spend time with his son.
    He returned to JLA duty when Martian Manhunter turned evil, albeit his son had to convince him that he can be a dad and a superhero.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    Whether you like him or hate him, his "perviness" fits his persona and style. He's a type of scoundrel, not unlike Han Solo.
    His perviness fit the role Morrison intended for him, see above.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Plastic Man really does have a lot of instances of him perving on women using his powers.
    It would be okay if he weren't presented as a hero or it all being one big joke
    Nowadays these jokes just leave a bad taste in your mouth.
    The thing with Barda, WW and Circe has been shown in these thread.
    Could you show the other instances of him perving around women with his powers?
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)