Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Len Wein 1948-2017

Just got a notification that one of the all time great comic writers, Len Wein, had passed away. It was also confirmed on his Facebook page. Man, that hit me in the gut. I loved so much of his work for both DC & Marvel. Swamp Thing, Batman, JLA, Superman, X-Men, Spider-Man, Hulk, he did some of my favorite comics. Brought a certain level of sophistication to his work. A kid could still enjoy it but plenty for an adult to appreciate.

Can't thank him enough of all the enjoyment he gave me.
    Last edited by Jon-El; 09-10-2017 at 02:57 PM.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-El View Post
    Just got a notification that one of the all time great comic writers, Len Wein, had passed away. It was also confirmed on his Facebook page. Man, that hit me in the gut. I loved so much of his work for both DC & Marvel. Swamp Thing, Batman, JLA, Superman, he did some of my favorite comics. Brought a certain level of sophistication to his work. A kid could still enjoy it but plenty for an adult to appreciate.

Berni and Len are gone. In our hearts and minds may their art live on ... Post ii on the In Memorium thread.
    Last edited by Old Man Ollie 1962; 09-10-2017 at 03:00 PM.

Astonishing Member

RIP.

He will be missed. I'm kinda glad he got another chance with the character before he passed away.

Incredibly sad news. A man who contributed so much to the industry is gone. I had the pleasure to meet him at a number of conventions and he was always a super nice man.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-El View Post
    Just got a notification that one of the all time great comic writers, Len Wein, had passed away. It was also confirmed on his Facebook page. Man, that hit me in the gut. I loved so much of his work for both DC & Marvel. Swamp Thing, Batman, JLA, Superman, X-Men, Spider-Man, Hulk, he did some of my favorite comics. Brought a certain level of sophistication to his work. A kid could still enjoy it but plenty for an adult to appreciate.

I never clicked on something as fast in my life.

He did a really great Ozymandias miniseries for the Before Watchmen event. He created Wolverine and edited Watchmen, but strangely what he is most known for is creating Swamp Thing. Man, his Swamp Thing run is weird, the first issue started out really good, fitting the expected horror tone, but by the next issue, when Swamp Thing was kidnapped by Arcane, it was like the comic was a fantasy book set in the middle ages. It always switched genres on an almost issue-by-issue basis.

Sad such a classic writer died today.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 09-10-2017 at 05:00 PM.

Very sad news indeed! A great talent has left us. RIP

RIP Len Wein. Thanks for the stories.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

God, Len Wein? We've lost another great .

RIP Mr. Wein. Thank you for all the contributions you've made to comics and the medium over the years, and the variety of heroes, villains, and characters you've created in the course of your career.

My condolences to his friends and family.

Incredible Member

Another sad day, the passing of a super creative man that wrote a lot of my favorite comics.

Prayers and condolences to his family.

And Thank You, Len, for so many great memories.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

A titan of the Bronze Age of Comics who penned many of my all-time favorites.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

Damn. I was hoping it was just a terrible rumor. May he R.I.P. it 's funny I just reread his and Bernies Swamp Thing last year and I've been meaning to re-read his Blue Beetle. Sad day indeed . One of the greats has left us.
    And then there were none...

Custom Binding Thread: http://community.comicbookresources....0645aadbab2369

The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    A titan of the Bronze Age of Comics who penned many of my all-time favorites.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive)
    Same here, BA. Definitely on my shortlist for all-time greats. BTW, though I most likely read something by him before this, this was the first comic I ever owned with his name in it (as editor):

Since this is a DC thread, this may be the first comic featuring him I bought at my LCS:

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Rest in peace Mr Wein. You will be missed.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Rest in peace.

Spectacular Member

Sad news. I guess he will be remembered mainly for creating Swamp Thing and Wolverine, but to me he will be the writer who defined Batman for me as a kid. His were the first Batman comics I read and those along with re-runs of the Adam West TV show solidified who Batman was to me. I'm forever thankful that DC put out that wonderful hardback collection of his Batman work. I've been re-reading a lot of those stories since I read the news. Prayers for his family and friends as they mourn his passing.