Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default If you were in charge of developing the New Fifty Two what would you do?

What changes would you make to DC continuity? What titles would you choose to be part of this initiative?

Start everything from zero.

Everything, full reboot, I'd just have JL, Superman, Bats, Wondy, Flash, Aquaman and GL.

Then I'd release 6 months later the teen Titans introducing fab 5 + wolfmanns Titans. I'll expand on it later !

BANNED

I would either, A) Keep all of the hero families in tact, even restoring families which had been fractured prior to the Reboot, and by extension, bring all the dead heroes back to life, keep everyone true to character, while also moving away from the grimdark tone as much as possible and prioritize writers over artists B) Purposely make the Reboot even WORSE than it was IRL, to the point that after less than a year, there would be no choice but to return to the old universe. Seriously, I would have these books make 90's Youngblood look like Sandman. Or C) Simply Reboot back to before DiDio took over, keeping around just the few things that DID work from the mid to late 2000s.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Agreed. Don't pussyfoot around. Just reboot the whole DCU if you want everyone young and single again.

BUT

You keep the old DCU around in its own pocket universe as a weekly series with a rotating series of creators, dealing with the aftermath of being quarantined from the rest of the multiverse. This would culminate in a big crossover in which the rebooted DCU and the old DCU meet for the first time to team-up against some cosmic threat.

From that point on, the old DCU continues on, serving roughly the same role as Earth-2 played Pre-Crisis, with the rebooted DCU being the primary continuity from that point onward. If sales featuring the "Earth-2" characters justify it, give them their own monthlies. If those series begin to outsell those of the rebooted continuity, revamp again, re-merging the two continuity, taking the best of both and carry on from there...which is pretty much what we're getting in Rebirth

Hire Greg Weisman to help me with universe and timeline building .

I'd honestly keep most of the pre-FP continuity and just update some things whenever needed.
    They could always launch new "Year Zero" minis about the tweaked origins but keep most of the overall history the same.
    Most of the good New 52 books could have been done without a reboot anyway (Aquaman, Batman, the good JL arcs etc).

My mandate would be for every series to start fresh without necessarily contradicting what came before. Whedon's Astonishing X-men is a great example of a good launching point that doesn't outright ignore what came before.
    Heck, even Rebirth did that right. The problem is that the default continuity they used to build upon is the New 52's.
    It's a real tragedy runs like Morrison's JLA, PAD's YJ or Wolfman and Perez's NTT are no longer canon. The history these teams have now is baffling.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Hire Greg Weisman to help me with universe and timeline building .
    This.

JK. But not totally...

On a more realistic note... I would not have as complete of a reboot as they had, even though some people would see that as the main appeal. I'd mostly just relaunch everything at #1, like in Marvel Now. Partially just because I don't give a rat's ass for having all my favorite characters and events rebooted if they don't need it; some characters needed the boost, and some things needed to be forgotten, but let's be honest, there's a reason why Green Lantern and Batman didn't need a reboot and still don't. I would instead try approaching things from the Batman Zero Year perspective; allow creators who want to tell a new origin do so, but under their own power and without editorial interference.

All of that may be a pipe dream; I seem to be on one side of the "readers should jump into an epic mythology and creators shouldn't worry about confusing newcomers Ina day and age of the Internet" argument while the lowest common denominator argument is on the other side.

On a practical level... Just hire all the writers, don't let any artist have more power than a writer, and let writers write.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I would have just hit reset on everything. So, Scott Synder would be taking Batman in his direction. Green Lantern would be down to just Hal and eventually Jessica and Simon.

Start small, no need for SUPERMAN to take place in the modern day with ACTION in the past. Let Morrison tell his Superman story and then build off it. Don't try to build off it as its getting started.

Just make everything a smooth start. Pick the right creators and let them do their jobs.

Stuff like Geoff Johns GREEN LANTERN run and Morrison's BATMAN INC would just continue on as long as they needed to, in the continuity of "before".

Not everything needs to link up, just tell good stories and go forward. A brand new day.

BANNED

Not get rid of the JSA.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    This.

JK. But not totally...

On a more realistic note... I would not have as complete of a reboot as they had, even though some people would see that as the main appeal. I'd mostly just relaunch everything at #1, like in Marvel Now. Partially just because I don't give a rat's ass for having all my favorite characters and events rebooted if they don't need it; some characters needed the boost, and some things needed to be forgotten, but let's be honest, there's a reason why Green Lantern and Batman didn't need a reboot and still don't. I would instead try approaching things from the Batman Zero Year perspective; allow creators who want to tell a new origin do so, but under their own power and without editorial interference.

All of that may be a pipe dream; I seem to be on one side of the "readers should jump into an epic mythology and creators shouldn't worry about confusing newcomers Ina day and age of the Internet" argument while the lowest common denominator argument is on the other side.

On a practical level... Just hire all the writers, don't let any artist have more power than a writer, and let writers write.
    I agree that DC should've gone the Marvel NOW! route and keep their continuity, while renumbering all of their titles, (Besides Action Comics and Detective), but I've also have seen the argument, that DC should've rebooted their universe, just tell everyone's story from the start. I think the ideal situation would be a compromise between these two ideas.

I would have my "New Fifty Two" set in the same post Crisis continuity DC has had for 20 or so years, and have most of the books that star A-/A/A+ - list characters (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, basically anyone in the Batman family, Supergirl, Justice League, Teen Titans) to take place in the present day, while B - list characters (Hawkman, Martian Manhunter, John Stewart Green Lantern) have there titles start out as origin stories.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 09-10-2017 at 10:05 PM.

I will add to this list

Here would be my line up:
    1. Justice League (Rated E)
    The roster of this iteration of the Justice League would be Superman (Leader), Wonder Woman, Owlman (Dick Grayson), Green Lantern John Stewart, Flash (Barry Allen), Martian Manhunter, and Starfire. Written By Geoff Johns and Drawn By Jim Lee. I've put Dick Grayson on the team rather than Bruce Wayne, because of his prominence in Batman Incorporated. I put John Stewart on the Justice League rather than Hal Jordan, because Hal Jordan, I consider to be the figurehead of the whole Green Lantern line, so I chose a slightly lesser Lantern to be on the Justice League. This is the same way I feel with Wally, so I put Barry Allen on the Justice League.

2. Batman Incorporated (Rated T)
    This is the premier Batman book, and will feature every prominent Bat-family member alongside more new "international" Bat-related characters. This series will be Written By Grant Morrison with Art By Chris Burnham with Art By Cameron Stewart,

3. Superman Family (Rated E)
    This is the premier Superman book, sort of the Superman version of Batman Incorperated. This will feature not only every prominent Super-family member, but also many B-list superheroes (Black Lightning, Manhattan Guardian, now Metropolis Guardian), as well. This series will feature the new status quo of Metropolis, a city made up of 60% Metahumans. Written By Johnathan Hickman with Art By J.H. Williams lll with fill in Art by Geof Darrow & George Perez.

4. All Star Wonder Woman (Rated T)
    The status quo for Diana, for this reamagined New Fifty Two Diana will find herself unwittingly become the queen of the Amazons. Written By Mark Waid with Art By Tim Sale.

5. Batman & Robin (Rated T)
    Will feature the solo adventures of Bruce Wayne, Batman and Damian Wayne, Robin. More light in tone (Like a Marvel movie) than more previous runs on Batman. This will deal with the duo's conflicting (but similar) personalities. Written By Mark Waid with Art by Yenil Francis Yu.

6. Action Comics (Rated T)
    An Anthology title with it's main feature being the adventures of Conner Kent, Supeboy.
    Written and Drawn by Mike Allred. Secondary feature is Doom Patrol by Keith Giffen and Kevin Maguire

7. Detective Comics (Rated M)
    An Anthology title with it's main feature being Flamebird, Tim Drake, who is in charge of protecting Gotham City, while Batman is branching out to be more international. After the effects of the Batman: Incorporated initiative took place, crime in Gotham has quickly dropped by 80% in the last few months; that new status quo is now under threat by the Court of Owls, an evil organization that has been controlling Gotham since it's conception, and is a retcon for why Gotham is so crappy. You might think to yourself that the premise of this book is, more-or-less the same as the opening arc of the Scott Snyder New Fifty Two Batman, except with Tim Drake. If your thinking that, you are right. It essentially is. The reason why the Court of Owls storyline from the N52, is being given to Tim Drake instead of Batman, is because I felt that Scott Snyder detracted attention from the status quo that Batman Incorporated brought to the Batman line, so I didn't want the whole Court of Owls story to occur in the premier Batman book, but I do think it's a good story, so I moved it to Tim Drake's solo book. Unlike the N52 Court of Owls story, this won't be a crossover. Written by Scott Snyder with Art by Greg Capullo The secondary feature will change every six issues

8. Justice Society (Rated T)
    This iteration of the team will feature a grand, epic storyline that takes place both in the team's present and the teams past. This series will cover the team's origin story, but also flash forward to the present, sort of like in Greg Rucka's Rebirth Wonder Woman. Written and Drawn by Darwyn Cooke

9. Young Justice (Rated T)
    Sort of a secondary Justice League team, like as Young Justice was presented in the Young Justice cartoon. Roster includes Flamebird (Tim Drake), Wonder Girl (Cassie Sandmark), Superboy (Conner Kent ), Batgirl (Stephanie Brown). Written by Chuck Dixon with Art by Chris Bachalo.

10. Owlman (Rated T)
    Owlman will be the new identity of Dick Grayson, after his short stint as Batman. I wanted to change his alias from Batman to not confuse new readers with two Batmen walking around, and I didn't want him to revert back to Nightwing, because I feel he should move on from that mantle. Blüdhaven is gone, so should Nightwing. This series will be written by Brian K Vaughan and drawn by Ryan Sook.

11. Hal Jordan and The Green Lantern Corps (Rated T)
    This series will simply just be a continuation from Geoff John's Green Lantern run, no alterations whatsoever. Written by Johns and art by Ivan Reis. I don't think there's even a reason to renumber this.

12. Wally West: The Flash (Rated E)
    This is the premier Flash book, and the more traditionally superheroic of the two Flash books. Written by Jeff Lemire with Art by Steve Pugh
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 10-15-2017 at 03:59 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Not. Rebooted. Anything.

I would have just kept the continuity as it was and continued on with fresh new, up-and-coming writers and some proven talents. The problem with DC in 2010 was not the DC universe. It was the fact that editorial had strained relations with so many prominent writers that no good writers wanted to work for DC. Its a problem that continued on into the N52. Rebooting was just another gimmick to distract from the real problems. So, instead of rebooting, I would have just improved relations with writers and told editorial to reign it in.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 09-11-2017 at 09:55 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    1. Justice League
    The roster of this iteration of the Justice League would be Superman (Leader), Wonder Woman, Owlman (Dick Grayson), Green Lantern John Stewart, Flash (Barry Allen), Martian Manhunter, and Starfire. Written By Geoff Johns and Drawn By Jim Lee. I've put Dick Grayson on the team rather than Bruce Wayne, because of his prominence in Batman Incorporated. I put John Stewart on the Justice League rather than Hal Jordan, because Hal Jordan, I consider to be the figurehead of the whole Green Lantern line, so I chose a slightly lesser Lantern to be on the Justice League. This is the same way I feel with Wally, so I put Barry Allen on the Justice League.
    I would read that Justice League book.

I think it's ironic, it's the franchises that were restarted from the beginning like Flash and Superman that ended up backtracking. And folks wanna do that with everyone? Batman and Green Lantern didn't start from ground zero and are more stable today because of it. So that's how I'd do new 52. The huge problem with the Superman and Flash approach, is that, sure they were fresh beginnings, but were terrible 'fresh middles'. I get the initial appeal, seeing the protagonist younger, have stories about them meeting villains and other players for the first time, BUT once the new car smell wears off, so does the appeal. And there was no longer any reason to classic stories and characters off the table, so they "debooted." So I think that the smarter thing is to go the Batman/GL route with everyone. SOFT reboot, take out the bits you don't like, add some cool concepts like the court of owls, Emiko Queen, etc, that wouldn't have flown preflashpoint, and move forward. Providing a fresh beginning and the foundation for a fresh, never ending middle, as is the nature of the medium
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 09-11-2017 at 03:12 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    I think ironic, it's the franchises that were restarted from the beginning like Flash and Superman that ended up backtracking. And folks wanna do that with everyone? Batman and Green Lantern didn't start from ground zero and are more stable today because of it. So that's how I'd do new 52. The huge problem with the Superman and Flash approach, is that, sure they were fresh beginnings, but were terrible 'fresh middles'. See them younger, meeting villains and other players for the first time, but once the new car smell wore off, so did the appeal. And there was no longer any reason to classic stories and characters off the table, so they debooted. So I think that the smarter thing is to go the Batman/GL route with everyone. SOFT reboot, take out the bits you don't like, add some cool concepts like the court of owls that wouldn't have flown preflashpoint, and move forward. Providing a fresh beginning and the foundation for a fresh, never ending middle, as is the nature of the medium
    I agree...this would have been a better approach. In fact, barring a few characters like Superman and WW, this is what they actually did in COIE. And it worked out pretty well that time.

There would be some continuity changes. Some clean-up. Some titles would be set in the past and tell new versions of origins. I'd have Justice League Origin be the beginning of a new incarnation of the Justice League. The new suits are just the latest versions of the characters costumes, with the old looks still in continuity.