Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member baycitybomber's Avatar

Default New Gods Appreciation Thread

Metron.jpg

New Gods Appreciation Thread

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

Spectacular Member baycitybomber's Avatar

Things are heating up on the New Gods and Fourth World front nowadays:

• Mister Miracle comic
    • Bug! comic
    • New Gods in Green Lantern (...)
    • Steppenwolf in the DCEU

How are you liking the new content?

I loved the Mister Miracle book. I was and still am confused by a lot of it. But the issue was awesome. Tom King brought his A class into it. The book was frightening and disturbing at parts. The best part was the use of Darkseid. I have not seen a more creative use of a villain. I can see a bit more clearly why witches and wizards in Harry Potter series never said Voldemort's name.

I have not read Bug! comics and Green Lanterns. So i can't say anything about them.

I am looking forward to JL. Just getting a movie on Justice League was a stuff of dreams. More accurately daydreams. So i had no favorites that this villain should be in the movie. I personally preferred Martians as in Justice League animated series. But it is alright. Trailers show an imposing villain and a worthy opponent to the JL. It is better than Darkseid. Because as i saw in Mister Miracle, Darkseid as someone in the background is more imposing. I don't want him to come at the end of the movie declare himself as Darkseid and start trading punches with Superman. Someone like Thanos can do that because he would appear fairly early in Infinity War. He is the endgame not the villain of the week. We know the heroes he is going to fight. So filmakers have the luxury to show him more. In JL Darkseid would appear at the tail end if he appears at all. I prefer him to be a presence like He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named. If Steppenwolf turns out to be awesome it would be more impressive to know that Darkseid is controlling someone like Steppenwolf. Ciaran Hinds voice sounds imposing. Just have to wait if he appears as dangerous in the movie as he appears in trailers.

It is nice to see Jack Kirby's New Gods getting attention this year. I have not read it but plan to do so in near future. I have heard they are really good. Some of the best works of the legend.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 09-11-2017 at 08:30 AM.

I like recently Mister Miracle book not mention also enjoyed the New Gods special as well the Darkseid special I'm also liking New Gods in the Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern book, overall good time to be fan of New Gods.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

King's Mister Miracle #1 is twenty bucks now.

Fantastic Member

I really liked the 1st issue of the new Mister Miracle series and I recently read his first solo ongoing by Kirby, which I liked as well. Scott and Barda are quickly becoming some of my favourite characters!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    King's Mister Miracle #1 is twenty bucks now.
    Really?! I have two copies!

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by new_onslaught View Post
    Really?! I have two copies!
    Second printings are available. I can't wait for the trade, so I'll get a 2nd printing #1 and #2 will be out on the 13th.

The only characters I am a little familiar with are Big Barda and Darkseid.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    Second printings are available. I can't wait for the trade, so I'll get a 2nd printing #1 and #2 will be out on the 13th.
    I'm talking about 1st printings

This is a New Gods appreciation thread. So, i am sharing a link for the fans to see the greatest romance in comics: Mister Miracle and Big Barda. I am partial to Superman and Lois Lane but i won't deny the rich subtext of their romance. There are some plot points from the Fourth World saga in this article. So, if the readers want to enter it with a fresh mind without knowing anything in advance they may not click the article. It is an old article and a lot of fans might have read it already. Ask Chris column was quite popular.

http://comicsalliance.com/ask-chris-...ot-about-love/

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    This is a New Gods appreciation thread. So, i am sharing a link for the fans to see the greatest romance in comics: Mister Miracle and Big Barda. I am partial to Superman and Lois Lane but i won't deny the rich subtext of their romance. There are some plot points from the Fourth World saga in this article. So, if the readers want to enter it with a fresh mind without knowing anything in advance they may not click the article. It is an old article and a lot of fans might have read it already. Ask Chris column was quite popular.

Great article

I love this stuff. All the characters were so interesting to me so a while ago I started reading Kirby's stuff and it absolutely blew my mind out of my ears. Those are like comics I've dreamed about. So many ideas, concepts, excellent stuff.

I obviously love Darkseid. He's the perfect design and has this kind of bizarre sense of honor through the Kirby stuff and he's been used like that a few times since. Also the Anti-Life equation is so unique. World dominators and universe conquerers are so common in comics but the anti-life equation adds something so interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post

Regardless of what people may think of Chris sims the person, Chris Sims the writer always had fantastic articles that opened my mind to a lot of things DC-related. This particlaur one you pointed out is one of my favorites from him.

For a New gods book I ask for Tom King. Or Hickman.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin