Page 41 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

Thread: The Orville

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I'm sure the treaty will only last as long as the Kaylon threat does. Being religious fanatics, I'm sure the Krill don't consider agreements with infidels to be binding. But the admiral mentioned there may be moderate elements at work there.

I'm just surprised the peace survived the body cavity searches.

I wondered why the wounds on Leyna's arms were red, but her blood was yellow. I guess they would have used makeup to change them to red just in case anyone noticed them, to avoid immediately giving her away.

Nice to see Yaphit get a medal for his bravery against the Kaylons... but shouldn't Ty have gotten one too?
    Ty probably got one, but Yaphit is an officer. Stands to reason he'd get his own little party

Retired

Given all the singing talent on this show, is it only a matter of time before there's a full musical episode?

Leighton Meester was really charming in tonight's episode.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

This ep had a real emotional punch. Feels like it was a refinement of that TNG episode where Riker fell in love with a Holodeck simulation. Making the simulation a copy of a woman who actually lived and died 400 years previous adds a lot more weight to the story. It's a huge improvement over the TNG one, which was goofy by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    This ep had a real emotional punch. Feels like it was a refinement of that TNG episode where Riker fell in love with a Holodeck simulation. Making the simulation a copy of a woman who actually lived and died 400 years previous adds a lot more weight to the story. It's a huge improvement over the TNG one, which was goofy by comparison.
    It was an interesting episode. Not one of my favorites, but it had meat. That woman felt very real for a simulation.

It was very funny when Gordon fell on the floor when the bed vanished in the Simulator lol. This is the kind of humor I prefer in this show, subtle and accidental not forced and obvious.

Retired

I had no idea who Leighton Meester was before watching the episode, so I could totally believe she was just some random woman who works in a department store but also plays and sings at open mike nights in her local bar--and who has based her whole life on too many episodes of FRIENDS. However, apparently the actress/singer was on an early 21st century transmission called "Guardian of the Gossip" or something like that, with Star Sapphire and Lt. Talla Keyali.

The stuff with Bortus and Klyden had me belly laughing--which is rare for me.

I thought more of the Barkley episode where they diagnosed holodeck addiction.

I'm 11 minutes into the latest episode. Is that Tuvok as the guest star?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I'm 11 minutes into the latest episode. Is that Tuvok as the guest star?
    Yup.......
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Retired

I won't have any peace until I know that there's going to be a season 3. With Disney digesting Fox, nothing is certain.

Maybe Seth MacFarlane should encourage fan productions. Those could keep the Orville alive.

Fox or Disney better renew this show or my heart will be broken. And I can't handle my heart being broken more.

If it helps, I think the ratings are pretty consistent. Fandom is very loyal so far. Show gets 1.5 consistenly in Live + 7 with nearly 6 million viewers each week. Also, Seth's other show, Family Guy, was renewed already.

https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dv...-march-3-2019/

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Really cool little episode. It's episodes like this that benefit tremendously from the more relaxed, natural dialogue and more relatable characters over any of the Star Trek shows that tended to suffer from a real stiffness when it came to these sorts of stories.

Also, the Bortus subplot this week was proper, genuinely funny. I laughed out loud throughout.

And, yeah, they better renew this show! It's wonderful.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Uh, Tuvok, that's not what "WTF" stands for.

Wasn't it Geordi who did that? And then that woman came back in another episode, saw the simulation, and got pissed?

I liked this one and it worked for Gordon. His comment to Mercer about the Krill woman and Isaac in general had some validity to it. I thought the episode was going to end with Gordon looking the woman up and finding out what she ended up doing with the rest of her life.

Riker did it first...I think in the Binar story? I recall an ep where he was amazed at how the holodeck character felt like a real woman. There was a call-back to it in a later story where an alien boy tries to trick Riker with illusions based on images from his mind, and Riker realizes that his wife can't be real because she's the hologram woman.

Retired

The holodeck allowed them to do stories that would have been done by other means on TOS--such as being in an illusion cast by aliens that replicates something from the past, or an M class planet that is amazingly like 20th century Earth, or travelling back in time to events in the 20th century.