Page 49 of 52 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152 LastLast

Thread: The Orville

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Who said anything about a solliloquy? I get that you don't like current Trek, but to compare it to old Trek, the point of the Kobayashi Maru was to reveal something about a person's character - how they behave or address a situation where they specifically think they're about to die.(which was the premise of the episode - otherwise, it's just another scenario where they face danger, which is every episode) We saw how Kirk handled it, and it gave us insight into his character. We got nothing like that here. Again, a missed opportunity for me to find a reason to like these characters or know them better. I'm glad you can appreciate their professionalism, but that doesn't necessarily make for good drama.
    Actually I like Strange New Worlds, just didn't like the current episode. As for The Orville I think it was excellent drama it just wasn't melodrama.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Actually I like Strange New Worlds, just didn't like the current episode. As for The Orville I think it was excellent drama it just wasn't melodrama.
    I think it can be drama and do what I suggested because to me, it was boring.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-20-2022 at 06:05 AM.

Retired

The prime directive that THE ORVILLE has taken from Star Trek is the one that goes "First send your most senior officers into a potentially dangerous situation."

Well...they went there. I knew that they would revisit that character soon, but wow.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I was waiting for a Mercer spotlight ep and finally got it. As for the ep:

spoilers:
    Figured it would be a son, but otherwise guessed it. So basically Ed had a child with a despot. It was kinda sad though when he finally saw her for what she truly is, and not what he wished she were.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I was waiting for a Mercer spotlight ep and finally got it. As for the ep:

spoilers:
    Figured it would be a son, but otherwise guessed it. So basically Ed had a child with a despot. It was kinda sad though when he finally saw her for what she truly is, and not what he wished she were.
    end of spoilers
    I don't know about that. I think there is still some room to redeem the character. She hasn't "really" done anything bad yet. She killed the previous leader but that can be swept under the rug and the Union people were rescued. All it takes is for the Kaylon to attack her planet and she comes to the Union for assistance and the alliance is back on. The Krill are basically destined to exist in a grey area. Not quite friend or foe

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I don't know about that. I think there is still some room to redeem the character. She hasn't "really" done anything bad yet. She killed the previous leader but that can be swept under the rug and the Union people were rescued. All it takes is for the Kaylon to attack her planet and she comes to the Union for assistance and the alliance is back on. The Krill are basically destined to exist in a grey area. Not quite friend or foe
    I don't think she needs "redemption" - she's been acting in accordance to her beliefs the whole time. This is who she is. Of course we hope that there's room for an alliance in the future, but I don't think the show will have her compromise her ethics and treat it as "good" just because it would align with ours.

Retired

I didn't think the Krill went in for idolatry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Perhaps the writers wanted to move away from the notion that they might be a stand-in for Muslims as this episode made them a clear allegory for American conservatives.

I found it curious how the Krill are all about "The Word of Avis" but they also have democratic elections? And is the High Chancellor also the highest religious leader? I would think so, but the title implies government official rather than religious. I would've thought they'd be ruled by their "Pope." Maybe they addressed this in previous seasons and I forgot...
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 06-26-2022 at 04:16 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    So I guess we now have Orville's version of the Q?
    Indeed.

Although i think The Q are still more powerful.

We need to see more of her/their abilities to compare.

Retired

With inscrutable beings, sometimes less is more. Hire a good actor, like John de Lancie, and Bob's your uncle. I found with that certain inscrutable presence in THE ORVILLE there were too many effects distracting me from the performance. Why all that jazz? Surely, an inscrutable being would choose a familiar comforting form--and don't call me Shirley.

Wasn't idolatry basically the defining characterization of the Krill?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Wasn't idolatry basically the defining characterization of the Krill?
    I'd have to go back and rewatch that episode where Ed went undercover on board the Krill ship. I thought they were like Muslims--people of the book. The Ahnkana is like their Quran. To the degree that Muslims have any symbol of their faith, it's the Quran, but they are prohibited from having any images.

I thought Avis was the faceless god--their supreme being who created the Krill. Whereas, it seems like he's now supposed to be a Muhammad or Jesus or Moses figure. But even then, if they are not supposed to have idols, they wouldn't have a statue of Avis--because then you're worshipping the statue and not the supreme being. Islam and certain sects of Judaism and Christianity are against creating images of the deity because that goes against the Word of God--"Thou shalt have no other gods before Me"; "Thou shalt not make graven images."

In theory, I think that's progressive. If you worship an image, that becomes the fetish and replaces the worship of a divine presence--which leads to materialism. But now it seems the Krill are just as materialistic as the Union.

With inscrutable beings, sometimes less is more. Hire a good actor, like John de Lancie, and Bob's your uncle. I found with that certain inscrutable presence in THE ORVILLE there were too many effects distracting me from the performance. Why all that jazz? Surely, an inscrutable being would choose a familiar comforting form--and don't call me Shirley.
    Not for nothing, but I originally thought "Q" was the Q continuum in physical form. Maybe they originally meant it that way or not, but once they started having other Q popping up and acting like any other sentient beings, it diminished the concept for me. (unless it was all revealed to be more theater and they really are all Q - I don't have Paramount+ so I don't know what they're doing with Q over there)

So who won the week between The Orville and Strange New Worlds this well. Haven't had the chance to watch either but it's been fun watching them battle it out.