Page 35 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: The Orville

Incredible Member

Am I the only one wanting more in depth arcs with the orville? It really is just trending towards days of our lives in space recently. I remember an episode from season 1 where they were on this ship that turned out to house an entire population of people heading to some planet, and they opened up the skylight to reveal the stars to this simulated environment and there was this sense of wonder... we need more of that.

More exploration, more wonder, more encounters with the unknown... less trials and tribulations of the inner workings of Bortus and his species. The gay allegory has been touched on and mostly solved, if they want to tackle more social issues indirectly, tap into modern issues of immigration and identity in a sci fi setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    Am I the only one wanting more in depth arcs with the orville? It really is just trending towards days of our lives in space recently. I remember an episode from season 1 where they were on this ship that turned out to house an entire population of people heading to some planet, and they opened up the skylight to reveal the stars to this simulated environment and there was this sense of wonder... we need more of that.

More exploration, more wonder, more encounters with the unknown... less trials and tribulations of the inner workings of Bortus and his species. The gay allegory has been touched on and mostly solved, if they want to tackle more social issues indirectly, tap into modern issues of immigration and identity in a sci fi setting.
    I think there is a lot of depth there and the might be leading to a war storyline where Bortus has to choose between Moclan and the Union/Orville. These Moclan episodes haven't just spoke as allegories to American social issues in our society but also our international relationships. In About a Girl Ed brought up how far should they go with cultural differences and understanding and again in Deflectors he mentioned things might come to a head some day with the Moclans and Union over their cultural differences. It's also been stated how the Union needs to Moclan who build Union defense systems this is very much in line with how the United States will do business with countries who criminalize homosexuality because we need resources they offer. I do agree some more exploration would be cool and next week looks good but I also think this is leading somewhere.

Retired

When they were testing the deflectors, the Moclans launched a torpedo which was not what they agreed to. I wondered about this--since it seems an odd detail, Chekov's gun and all--and maybe the Moclans did that deliberately. The Orville thought this was just a test of the new deflectors, but maybe the Moclans were gathering their own intell.

Testing that on a ship full of people was clearly idiotic. It's obvious that a shield upgrade should be tested by putting the shield-generator equipment on something unmanned, and preferably cheap. You put it on something unmanned, then gradually increase the attacks until it fails and the unmanned object is destroyed. And then you do that again and again until you have a consistent range on what the shields can survive and for how long. Testing this sort of thing just once is idiotic, and testing it on a manned ship is criminally reckless.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Testing that on a ship full of people was clearly idiotic. It's obvious that a shield upgrade should be tested by putting the shield-generator equipment on something unmanned, and preferably cheap. You put it on something unmanned, then gradually increase the attacks until it fails and the unmanned object is destroyed. And then you do that again and again until you have a consistent range on what the shields can survive and for how long. Testing this sort of thing just once is idiotic, and testing it on a manned ship is criminally reckless.
    It's a TV show they wanted to do some cool shots of the ship in the episode heck on TNG they did untested Engine upgrades a few times always ending in almost getting everyone killed. I think the internet has created an over examination of fiction I mean most comics, TV shows, and films would be over in 5 minutes if real world logic or physics were applied.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    When they were testing the deflectors, the Moclans launched a torpedo which was not what they agreed to. I wondered about this--since it seems an odd detail, Chekov's gun and all--and maybe the Moclans did that deliberately. The Orville thought this was just a test of the new deflectors, but maybe the Moclans were gathering their own intell.
    This was Morclan technology, we don't know if it hadn't been tested on unmanned ships already. And it could be they weren't firing anything more than ordinary deflectors could handle, and this was measuring the upgrade. For the most part the deflectors stayed at 80% or higher. They could stop it if it went below say 50% or 60%.
    Besides the episode was really about draconian cultures where differences can mean death. We have a few here
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

But there was a point during the test where the Moclans fired a torpedo and the Orville said hey hey you're not supposed to do that and they said sorry about that Chief. That called attention to itself and I don't think it would have been there for no reason. It could be just one of those accidents to create drama in a scene, but it might be something put in there to forward the subplot of gathering tensions between the Moclans and the Union, for some future development that might not pan out until next season.

But there was a point during the test where the Moclans fired a torpedo and the Orville said hey hey you're not supposed to do that and they said sorry about that Chief. That called attention to itself and I don't think it would have been there for no reason. It could be just one of those accidents to create drama in a scene, but it might be something put in there to forward the subplot of gathering tensions between the Moclans and the Union, for some future development that might not pan out until next season.
    That is true. I was just refuting the "why didn't they test it on an unmanned ship" argument.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

Bortus need's to get a divorce. His husband is annoying and controlling.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by tabo61 View Post
    Yeah, agreed. I think half the crew would help him get divorced at this point.

Finally got around to watching it, good episode. Though I have to say, in the last 2 seasons I've been reminded of the chain of command more than I ever was in Star Trek.

Ultimate Member

And they could celebrate with more cupcakes...

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, agreed. I think half the crew would help him get divorced at this point.
    You mean half the crew is going to kill Klyden?

They pull a Jon Snow on Klyden everyone lines up and stabs him? "For the Orville"

Ultimate Member

Would. I said 'would', if they could get away with it :P

Though I can't imagine in a small ship like this, that he's going to b very popular in the future

Quote Originally Posted by tabo61 View Post
    I agree. It looks like it could happen.

Another very enjoyable episode. I dunno you guys but this season is very good for me so far. I think it has plenty of emotional depth. It has heart. The relationship stuff is probably what separates this show best from Star Trek. But they don't forget about the Science Fiction aspect and the wonder of space. We've seen the sun upclose and a beautiful nebula and planets and constellations. And they have talked about religion, family, p0rn addiction, and more. The show entertains me and makes me think. It seems we are heading for some trouble soon.

The humor is also more subtle this season and I like it better. I want to take this show more seriously, and I do because it makes me tear up almost every episode. It means I care about these characters.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 02-18-2019 at 12:21 PM.