Page 29 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: The Orville

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I gathered by the explanation that it took a good bit of creative engineering with gravitons to make the high gravity chamber for her. So it wasn't some standard thing a star ship could have.
    If they're travelling through space and they have gravity on their ship, they must have a way to make an artificial gravity. They also have some kind of gravity shield on their shuttle craft. Bringing gravitons into it at the last minutes seems like a way to make the problem seem more difficult than it is. If they have already figured out gravity, then these solutions would have already been apparent to everyone on the crew.

It's like there's a slow moving train coming down the track, but they only see it when it's half a metre away. Everything that happened with Alara was predictable and should have been solved by their advanced science long before they got to the point they were at in this episode.

I know that it's just a fantasy series and these things need to happen for plot--but it's a science fiction show, too, and people who think about science want some science in their science fiction. It's not the kind of show where you turn off your brain and forget about logic. If you pose a problem for me at the beginning of an episode, I'm going to figure out a solution and consider all the possible permutations long before the show arrives at the conclusion.

So that's really it for Alara, then? That's disappointing. I mean, there's too many TNG equivalent characters on this show, and I thought Alara was one of the more original ones. I guess she was the Tasha Yar, and it looks like her time on the show was cut just as short.

So does that mean that alien with that esophagus thing is going to be a regular? Was that Patrick Warburton?

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    So that's really it for Alara, then? That's disappointing. I mean, there's too many TNG equivalent characters on this show, and I thought Alara was one of the more original ones. I guess she was the Tasha Yar, and it looks like her time on the show was cut just as short.

So does that mean that alien with that esophagus thing is going to be a regular? Was that Patrick Warburton?
    I doubt he's going to be a regular, but if he is, it's off to a bad start. I like the show well enough but the whole joke about unique and sometimes brutish looking aliens talking like regular joes at a bar but it's really the workplace is getting stretched pretty thin if it's their *only* gag. Hell, I don't think I know many regular joes who talk like that anymore, and if they do, it's not treated like a joke usually.

Retired

Patrick Warburton made me laugh, but I can't see him being a major character. None of these big name actors in minor roles are likely to have an important arc. They're like Whoopi Goldberg as Guinan.

I'm going to miss Alara's storyline, because she was someone that had a developing arc running through the series.The Ed and Kelly story has gotten old fast, so really it's just Isaac and Bortus that have story potential going forward. Gordon and John are just there to support stories about other characters. Dr. Finn is okay, but I mainly like her role in relation to Isaac.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post

I saw a video of 2 of the producers at ComiCon talking about there might be a return of Alara in the future but they didn't want to give any spoilers And Seth would make the decision when and if any news would come out. So it's not definite that Alara is gone for good.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    I saw a video of 2 of the producers at ComiCon talking about there might be a return of Alara in the future but they didn't want to give any spoilers And Seth would make the decision when and if any news would come out. So it's not definite that Alara is gone for good.
    I really hope so. She was already one of my favourites on the show and this episode made me like her even more.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

This is interesting. Apparently Scott Grimes and Adrienne Palicki are engaged
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Ultimate Member

He's a lucky guy imho...

Watching now. 9:20, did not see that coming!

9:30, or that!
    Last edited by Kirby101; 01-17-2019 at 07:27 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Ultimate Member

Wish that a certain lady would have stayed as she was at the beginning...almost half expecting Alara's sister to replace her or something crazy like that...

Didn't see the twist coming immediately

spoilers:
    But the second they caught them when they invisible, knew it was going to be a rough ride for the captain. That said I didn't have a clue it would be the return of someone from last season.
    end of spoilers

Poor guy, but good episode.
    Last edited by Kusanagi; 01-17-2019 at 08:07 PM.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

spoilers:
    Lt. Janel "Tyler" is a Trill who are light sensitive ok that was just trolling Discovery
    end of spoilers.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 01-17-2019 at 09:07 PM.

Retired

spoilers:
    I knew it was the same actress playing both characters, so I was expecting this twist a few weeks ago.
    end of spoilers

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    spoilers:
    Lt. Janel "Tyler" is a Trill who are light sensitive ok that was just trolling Discovery
    end of spoilers.
    Thought it was Krill. Trill is Star Trek.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Allan View Post
    Thought it was Krill. Trill is Star Trek.
    Auto Correct Trill is in my tablet spell check Krill wasn't.