Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
With any show or movie set in the distant future, I just assume that the dialogue is "translated" into something we can understand. It's the same way even with straight dramas like Star Trek... if you actually travelled 200-300 years into the future, you would probably have a hard time understanding people, just like someone from the 1700's would have trouble understanding us.

As for pop culture references, whatever the future version of YouTube is probably makes everything readily available. You can already see that effect today. Kids today are way more aware of pop culture from the 80's (30 years ago) than we kids in the 80's were aware of the 50's (30 years earlier). That's because of the Internet, mainly YouTube.
Oh, I'm totally agreed. It wasn't even a criticism so much as an observation that they could (if they so desired) come up with an in-universe explanation as to why 20th and 21st century pop culture is still so prevalent. If they went with ST logic, it could be the era right before the last world war that finally inspired a lasting peace. Maybe that's why there would be so much interest in the period leading up to that point.

For the record, I'm fine if they never explain it.