Page 28 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: The Orville

Wow, long term consequences to something that happened in an earlier episode. Me likey.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Well, that certainly explains that! And yeha, I share your concerns.
    Actually, sorry, I got it wrong. Episode 2 was the one that was supposed to be in season 1--I had watched 3 Buck Review and he got it wrong, so I was passing on faulty information, hopefully that doesn't corrupt the onboard computer and send this craft hurtling into the sun.

It's confusing, because they must have shot new scenes. We see Bortus and Klyden's son in the first two episodes and he's now a kid and not a baby. I wonder if they are rapidly ageing him so that by season 3, he will be old enough to be questioning his sexuality.

Also is Halston Sage leaving THE ORVILLE or not? I thought it was reported she was, but Alara shows no signs of going anywhere.

I had one small disappointment with episode 2, in that we don't see the inhabitants of the doomed planet until near the end--so I was thinking they could look totally strange. But when we finally see them, they're just your basic Earth type aliens. I guess it would have been a chore to make all the extras look alien--and they were already spending a lot of time on those naked Moclans.

The music really helps set that Star Trek mood. Makes me think of all those Rick Berman shows with the Dennis McCarthy orchestral flourishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Actually, sorry, I got it wrong. Episode 2 was the one that was supposed to be in season 1--I had watched 3 Buck Review and he got it wrong, so I was passing on faulty information, hopefully that doesn't corrupt the onboard computer and send this craft hurtling into the sun.

It's confusing, because they must have shot new scenes. We see Bortus and Klyden's son in the first two episodes and he's now a kid and not a baby. I wonder if they are rapidly ageing him so that by season 3, he will be old enough to be questioning his sexuality.

Also is Halston Sage leaving THE ORVILLE or not? I thought it was reported she was, but Alara shows no signs of going anywhere.

I had one small disappointment with episode 2, in that we don't see the inhabitants of the doomed planet until near the end--so I was thinking they could look totally strange. But when we finally see them, they're just your basic Earth type aliens. I guess it would have been a chore to make all the extras look alien--and they were already spending a lot of time on those naked Moclans.

The music really helps set that Star Trek mood. Makes me think of all those Rick Berman shows with the Dennis McCarthy orchestral flourishes.
    I was kind of expecting the inhabitants of the doomed planet to be very tiny, so they could be basically all be put in a jar and taken to the Orville. Or maybe so enormous that none could be rescued.
    But at least this way the hard decision had to be made as to who got saved.

I read somewhere the plan was to have it be that Moclans mature more rapidly than humans. So maybe their daughter could even become an adult this season and question why she was turned into a male.
    I wonder if the process could be reversed and have her turn back into a female. It would be interesting to see what a Moclan female would look like. Despite how ugly the Krills look that female Krill was
    actually kind of pretty, the one that was the school teacher.

So just to show you how nuts Rotten Tomatoes is. Last season the RT score was 27%. This season it is 100%. And it is the same damn show. No huge changes or improvements. If anything last season was better.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/orville

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I was kind of expecting the inhabitants of the doomed planet to be very tiny, so they could be basically all be put in a jar and taken to the Orville. Or maybe so enormous that none could be rescued.
    But at least this way the hard decision had to be made as to who got saved.

I read somewhere the plan was to have it be that Moclans mature more rapidly than humans. So maybe their daughter could even become an adult this season and question why she was turned into a male.
    I wonder if the process could be reversed and have her turn back into a female. It would be interesting to see what a Moclan female would look like. Despite how ugly the Krills look that female Krill was
    actually kind of pretty, the one that was the school teacher.
    Well we've already seen a Moclan female remember, in the episode that dealt with their daughter they found a Moclan female that lived all by herself in the hills of their planet and they brought her to the court to try to stop the surgery from happening...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Well we've already seen a Moclan female remember, in the episode that dealt with their daughter they found a Moclan female that lived all by herself in the hills of their planet and they brought her to the court to try to stop the surgery from happening...
    And she was the planet's most celebrated author on top of it.
    Dark does not mean deep.

So just to show you how nuts Rotten Tomatoes is. Last season the RT score was 27%. This season it is 100%. And it is the same damn show. No huge changes or improvements. If anything last season was better.

The most telling thing with season 1 is the disparity between the critic score and the audience score. Season 2 doesn't have a lot of critical reviews yet (only 9 when I checked) and only a couple are from people who trashed it in season one. And, to be honest, it did take a little bit for them to find their groove, but that isn't unusual for many television shows. ST:TNG didn't wow right out of the gate either, but it did eventually.
    Dark does not mean deep.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

Thanks for the clarification.

And I do hope that Halston Sage isn't leaving the show, at least permanently, as I really enjoy her on the show.

To be fair, season one's reviews waere based on the first few episodes, which were not the best. The balance between comedy and straight-ahead sci-fi took a while to get right. I mostly enjoyed it from the off but it did improve immesurably as it went along.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Oops. Forgot about her. But she was rather elderly. I was thinking more along the lines of a young and maybe sexy Moclan woman. Sort of like the sexy Klingon woman in Star Trek: TNG that was the mother
    of Worf's child.

Only caught bits and pieces of this episode but man there were brutal parts. Boiled limbs, on screen breaking of bones. From what I saw it had some great character development, hate that it we had to lose one of the main cast though.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Enterprise's Phlox vs Voyager's Doctor battle of the Chief Medical Officers.

Incredible Member

I'm really going to miss her.

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    I'm really going to miss her.
    Me too. I wonder why she is leaving. She is supposedly dating Seth.

For a show most thought was going to be a Star Trek parody, it has a lot of heart and soul.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

She was dating Seth. She's not dating him anymore. So that might explain why she wanted to leave. I don't know the full story, but if she left because MacFarlane (her boss) was an idiot, that makes me angry.

I had so many questions about Xelaya. Gordon admiring the planet was an odd scene. The architecture looked standard to me and not the kind of thing I'd imagine for a heavy gravity planet. But if they create those kind of structures, they must have some advanced engineering and materials that they should be exporting to other planets.

The solution they posed for Alara's problem in the end was something I thought of at the beginning of the episode. But then any person from a heavy gravity planet you would think would have a heavy gravity bed chamber to sleep in as a matter or routine. Since it's a starship with its own artificial gravity and they clearly can create whatever gravity field they want, then it should be no problem for Alara to be under Xelayan conditions for part of her day on the ship. And they should be sending her on all the away missions to the heavy gravity planets.

But I guess, if Alara had been doing the logical thing, then she wouldn't need to go home.

The gift at the end was a nice touch.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 01-11-2019 at 07:18 AM.

I gathered by the explanation that it took a good bit of creative engineering with gravitons to make the high gravity chamber for her. So it wasn't some standard thing a star ship could have.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!