Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: The Orville

Retired

Isaac is supposed to be 700 years old, but that might be young by Kaylon standards.

The red and orange eyes let us know that the other Kaylons aren't Isaac. Him having the only blue eyes makes it easier to pick him out of a crowd in some of the scenes. So the eyes are there for the audience. But since Isaac has shared everything with his people on the homeworld, they would know that eyes are important to humans, so they might have just put them on for the sake of their visitors. Isaac probably chose blue because he wanted to comfort the crew members and appear non-threatening. But maybe on the homeworld they wanted to intimidate the Orville crew, so they chose bright colours.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Isaac is supposed to be 700 years old, but that might be young by Kaylon standards.

The red and orange eyes let us know that the other Kaylons aren't Isaac. Him having the only blue eyes makes it easier to pick him out of a crowd in some of the scenes. So the eyes are there for the audience. But since Isaac has shared everything with his people on the homeworld, they would know that eyes are important to humans, so they might have just put them on for the sake of their visitors. Isaac probably chose blue because he wanted to comfort the crew members and appear non-threatening. But maybe on the homeworld they wanted to intimidate the Orville crew, so they chose bright colours.
    Maybe Isaac "thinks" he is 700 years old but in reality he isn't...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Maybe Isaac "thinks" he is 700 years old but in reality he isn't...
    Err, we know he's 700 years old. He stayed behind on that funky planet, remember?

Incredible Member

It's odd that the Kaylon terminated the research after such a relatively short time. They couldn't have researched everything in the Union and the surrounding space. I'm thinking that the Kaylon was probably checking to see if there were other AI lifeforms in the immediate vicinity that they could either join or see if the other AIs would be a threat to they Kaylon expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Err, we know he's 700 years old. He stayed behind on that funky planet, remember?
    Oh yeah, forgot about that episode. It was a great one. Isaac was in a different what universe while in that planet?

I hadn't been enjoying Claire's romance with Isaac. I feel like she was acting a little foolish. Isaac can surprise her, he can be random, but he can't actually feel love or affection for her. Or for her children. Ty can draw that picture for him and it will mean absolutely nothing to Isaac because he can't process sentimentality.

That being said, I really enjoyed Claire in this episode and felt for her. And it's not out of the realm of possibility that Isaac can get some kind of emotion chip like Data eventually got. I'm super excited to see how this is going to play out. I liked seeing the Kaylon society and the light up walls they were working on and the lack of chairs, so what's going to happen to them?

One question. I know it was done so we would be visually shocked at all the skeletons. But how long ago did they wipe out the biological species. I mean all those bones are still in the caves.
    I know bones are found that are millions of years old, but those are buried and fossilized. How long would bones last in the open like that?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Keep in mind, those aren't human bones, nor is this earth's ecosystem. Maybe this species had more durable bones than us. Or maybe the local ecosystem doesn't break down bones as fast. Or both.

Retired

The heart wants what the heart wants. I can see how, having someone who tries so hard to make her and her children happy, would make Claire want more. And even the most intelligent person can't help develop feelings, despite what their head tells them.

When Penny Johnson Jerald showed up on THE ORVILLE, I thought she was going to be just a secondary character that simply supported the leading actors--like she was on CASTLE. So it's been surprising to see how important and valued she is on this show. If they gave out the Emmy to a series like THE ORVILLE, she should win.

I hope Isaac rebels against his fellow machines and redeems himself. I was already bummed when Alara left the series (although the new security director Talla has been great) I don't want another regular cast member gone so soon.

Plus I like the Claire/ Isaac coupling, sue me.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The heart wants what the heart wants. I can see how, having someone who tries so hard to make her and her children happy, would make Claire want more. And even the most intelligent person can't help develop feelings, despite what their head tells them.

When Penny Johnson Jerald showed up on THE ORVILLE, I thought she was going to be just a secondary character that simply supported the leading actors--like she was on CASTLE. So it's been surprising to see how important and valued she is on this show. If they gave out the Emmy to a series like THE ORVILLE, she should win.
    I agree with all that. Penny might be the best actor in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    I hope Isaac rebels against his fellow machines and redeems himself. I was already bummed when Alara left the series (although the new security director Talla has been great) I don't want another regular cast member gone so soon.

Also completely agree. I really like Isaac w/ Claire. It may seem illogical but this is science-fiction exploring all the possibilities there could be.

I also really ship Ed and Kelly. I hope they end up together. I just feel they still really care for each other no matter what their heads tells them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post

I actually don't want them to "redeem" Isaac, at least not in the way that makes him more like us or to take on our values. I think the point of the show is that the humans were projecting their own feelings and motivations onto Isaac without really understanding what he is or how his mind actually works. Even if he does end up helping the crew, I would't want him to do anything that undermines that lesson. I would want the writers to give Isaac a motivation that is still in keeping with his values.

That said, I am a bit surprised that if Isaac's mission was to determine if biologicals were a threat to them or if co-existence was possible, you'd think just from his research - seeing how much they embraced him, even entering into an intimate relationship and welcoming him into their family unit, that they would determine that co-existence is totally possible and that biologicals need not be a threat.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 02-25-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I actually don't want them to "redeem" Isaac, at least not in the way that makes him more like us or to take on our values. I think the point of the show is that the humans were projecting their own feelings and motivations onto Isaac without really understanding what he is or how his mind actually works. Even if he does end up helping the crew, I would't want him to do anything that undermines that lesson. I would want the writers to give Isaac a motivation that is still in keeping with his values.

That said, I am a bit surprised that if Isaac's mission was to determine if biologicals were a threat to them or if co-existence was possible, you'd think just from his research - seeing how much they embraced him, even entering into an intimate relationship and welcoming him into their family unit, that they would determine that co-existence is totally possible and that biologicals need not be a threat.
    I think that was Isaac's real conclusion about the biologicals in the Union, but someone from his planet simply disagrees no matter what. I still believe that they altered his programming to be on their side, but I think in next episode Isaac is going to 'remember' and realize he can't agree to kill his friends.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post

I don't think the Kaylons consider biologicals a threat. More just a hindrance to the resources the Kaylons want to exploit. Can you coexist with a roach infestation? They said they had outgrown their planet and needed more worlds
    to expand into. And as the Kaylons seem to have the most knowledge of the humans home world through Issac, that is the most logical planet for the Kaylons to first conquer.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I don't think the Kaylons consider biologicals a threat. More just a hindrance to the resources the Kaylons want to exploit. Can you coexist with a roach infestation? They said they had outgrown their planet and needed more worlds
    to expand into. And as the Kaylons seem to have the most knowledge of the humans home world through Issac, that is the most logical planet for the Kaylons to first conquer.
    I might have to re-watch that part, but my impression was that the reason they sent the emissary was because they intended to expand, but that Isaac's research was still for them to decide whether or not co-existence was an option.