Page 13 of 53 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: The Orville

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I'm sure the location of their homeworld can be found in the ship's logs if they care to look.
    Yeah, but is their system of marking the same as what the Union uses? How far did their engines take them before they died? Etc, etc.

I like how the show is an optimistic sci-fi show, but when you get down to brass tacs, things get complicated fast.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, but is their system of marking the same as what the Union uses? How far did their engines take them before they died? Etc, etc.

I like how the show is an optimistic sci-fi show, but when you get down to brass tacs, things get complicated fast.
    All of that stuff is handwaved. Anything Ed can't figure out, Isaac no doubt could. They immediately figured out how to access the video log and how to open the roof. Also, everyone in the galaxy speaks English. (I don't know if this show has a universal translator... probably, but in Trek: TOS everybody straight-up spoke English.)

Retired

Even though there's some intercontinuity between episodes, I think they want the stories to stand on their own. So I don't know about a sequel to this one. But I could see them returning to the biosphere next year and everything has gone all wrong. Like in "Patterns of Force" and "A Piece of the Action." The boarding party chose to go up, but what if they chose to go down? Are there other people in the undercity? Maybe when the Union sends its assistance things don't go according to plan.

"My friends hang out at a place on LaFayette Street called Central Perk."

That's funny.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I doubt it would be that easy. They may have been drifting for 2000 years, but their engines were working at one time. More than that, the universe itself moves over time, so finding their homeworld would be all but impossible.
    Difficult but not necessarily impossible. Just from observing the surroundings they know from the lighting that the planet they're from orbits a G class star. The temperature tells that the planet orbits in the 'sweet spot' (a Venus to Mars orbit). The seeing how easily the human crew move around the ship the gravity is around 1 G so the planet is approximately the same size as Earth.

The ship being a generational ship it most likely doesn't have warp capabilities (but they do know how to create artificial gravity) and by studying the engines the Orville can figure out the speed the ship can make. Since the city-ship captain stated that they were going to the nearest star and it would take 3 generations to reach the next star. Assuming the people are like Earth people a generation is defined as 33 years so the nearest star would roughly be 100 years away which would probably also be a G type star.

The flight path would likely be along a 2D path (like going to the moon, don't head for where it's at but where it's going to be). And since the Orville doesn't recognize the species they know not to look in already explored space.

From all this the Orville can roughly guess what section of space to start looking and by going through the ship's record they can find more clues (information about about the home planet's star system, what the target destination star system looks like, any phenomenon they may have observed).

It could be a little exercise for the science department to work during off-hours or slow duty periods.

So, I kinda like the series so far. The humor is hit or miss. More hits than misses, I guess. The CGI is top notch. Plots and writing seem to be worth following for the time being.

I'm a huge Adrienne Palicki fan. Would rather see her back on AOS, but this'll do. She does comedy, light drama, and action well. You can tell she's enjoying the comedy lines/scenes. She's probably holding back from bustin' a gut.

Liam Neeson was quite a surprise, and next week's guest star might make me forget about Palicki for a second or two.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Retired

I don't know why, but when I see Ed and Kelly seated on the bridge, she looks like she should be the captain and he the first officer. Maybe this is because he's seated where Riker would be on TNG--however, TNG had three chairs, with Picard in the middle and Troi on the other side of him (always hated that Troi was given this position over all the crew members). On VOYAGER, they were seated like on THE ORVILLE with Chakotay in Kelly's seat and Janeway in Ed's seat. But I think it has less to do with the position of the seats and more to do with how they sit. Ed sits like Riker, in this lazy ass kind of way, while Kelly sits like Picard in a self-assured fashion showing she's in command.

Well troi was there in an advisory capacity so it made sense she had a seat next to the captin. But yeah I prefer the captain in the center with the the first officer on one side.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    Nice little remake of a classic Trek episode. Since the Orville is on a exploratory mission I hope Seth refers back to this episode by backtracking the flight path of the ship and find where the ship originated from and how that planet is different from the people/culture of the ship.
    I didn't even think about this aspect, but yes, I would love to know what happened to their home planet. They don't mention if they've encountered the species before.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

My dad. One of the most conservative and least progressive people I know actually enjoyed the pilot. He hasn't seen any of the other episodes (I'm sure once he sees episode 3 he will give up on it. But that he enjoyed the pilot is astounding to me. He didn't like Scott pilgrim. Which I knew he wouldn't and tried to warn him he wouldn't but he didn't listen)

Matt "peace out suckas"

So no spoilers but despite what the captain said, there is no reason to believe him about theron's character never returning right. I'd almost bet she is this shows Q if it lasts long term.

Matt "peace out suckas"

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

spoilers:
    Huh... halfway through this episode, I was thinking "this is kind of predictable and unoriginal." Then it wasn't anymore.

I can picture Seth sitting at his laptop writing the script for this episode: "Seth makes out with Charlize Theron. I mean... Ed and Pria. Whatever."

So how long before they give in and use that transporter device. It's really the only Trek tech they don't have on this show.

Kind of ridiculous for Ed to take Pria's piloting them through that storm to be evidence of her trustworthiness. She was on the ship too...
    end of spoilers

Mighty Member

The leg amputation practical joke was hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by tabo61 View Post
    The leg amputation practical joke was hilarious
    i knew something like that was going to happen. He is a robot, he thought that giving him a face and taking a body part was relatively similar.

And, goddammit, i cannot believe i like this show better than the current Trek show.

I actually want to continue seeing new episodes of this and dont really care for Dark Trek.

Anyone else think that was a rocket raccoon joke? The raccoon God whose worshipers dismember their sacrifices?

Matt "peace out suckas"