Page 15 of 52 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: The Orville

Pria already lied to them so I'd take any of her warnings with a grain of salt. I got the impression the destruction of the wormhole was a reset button for her and like someone said it could be a situation where every time they meet her it's her first time meeting them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Ok, just watched Episode 1 of The Orville, great show! I think it's going to end up being more Star Trek'y than the new Star Trek show will be, if I'm honest. It really feels like an episode of the old shows with a good range of characters and the right balance between comedy and serious sci-fi elements, plus the budget seems impressive. And it's definitely not like Family Guy just because Seth happens to be the lead, it's feels very much like a kind and respectful homage to Star Trek and Galaxy Quest alike. So definitely give it a watch.
    I noticed Brannon Brag is involved, and yes, it did feel very Trekkish.

I have watched both this and Discovery now, and the comparison stuck me as well. If I were going to be honest, I tnink I am enjoying Orville more.

Gods, would it be great if they had Shatner playing Mercer's ex-captain grandfather.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Retired

The latest episode made me realize that Seth McFarlane is a much better actor when we can't see his real face.

The interesting thing was I kept thinking ahead of the plot on several matters and yet a few minutes later they addressed exactly that issue. So I guess that means the writing was clever--even though the characters were not clever.

The one car rental joke got old very fast. But that might be the point. Gordon is that guy who keeps trying to milk a bad joke and doesn't know when to quit.

Not the best episode, but still a solid effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The latest episode made me realize that Seth McFarlane is a much better actor when we can't see his real face.

The interesting thing was I kept thinking ahead of the plot on several matters and yet a few minutes later they addressed exactly that issue. So I guess that means the writing was clever--even though the characters were not clever.

The one car rental joke got old very fast. But that might be the point. Gordon is that guy who keeps trying to milk a bad joke and doesn't know when to quit.

Not the best episode, but still a solid effort.
    I gotta wonder if The car rental joke was subtle/Not subtle product placement. Same with the Xerox line cause otherwise wouldn't he have just said copying
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Yeah, the weirdest thing about this show is that all of their pop culture knowledge seems to be from the late 20th/early 21st century. There must have been a 400-year period with no memorable entertainment, I guess. Which is kind of believable.

Nice that they called out Ed for his decision to "save" those kids while incinerating their mothers and fathers. He did it for himself, not for them, because it's so much harder to kill a child whose face you can see. There were probably kids on that Krill ship they blew up in the opening scene, too.

I think this was the first episode not written by MacFarlane. Not a bad effort, except for overdoing the Avis rental car jokes. And the fact that sending Ed and Malloy on this mission in the first place, with no espionage experience and no knowledge of Krill culture, was essentially a suicide mission. This show is at its weirdest when it uses comedy logic in dramatic situations.

Kelly Hu's appearance seemed kind of pointless. She had one scene, as a character that could have been played by anyone. They're just sticking famous names in there to attract viewers, I guess.

Retired

Well they need the ratings.

I have two alternative, in-universe, explanations for the late 20th century jokes: 1) this transmission is being translated for a 21st century audience, so the actual jokes are different (just as the language is different); 2) in the year 2025, Disney has acquired all media and entertainment and asserts a strangle-hold on their content for centuries to come--however, a lot of late 20th century content falls into the public domain and everyone just watches that old content rather than pay the high fees for the all-Disney content. If we ever see a very rich Earth person on the show, we won't understand their comedic references because they pay for the exclusive new Disney programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Well they need the ratings.

I have two alternative, in-universe, explanations for the late 20th century jokes: 1) this transmission is being translated for a 21st century audience, so the actual jokes are different (just as the language is different); 2) in the year 2025, Disney has acquired all media and entertainment and asserts a strangle-hold on their content for centuries to come--however, a lot of late 20th century content falls into the public domain and everyone just watches that old content rather than pay the high fees for the all-Disney content. If we ever see a very rich Earth person on the show, we won't understand their comedic references because they pay for the exclusive new Disney programming.
    That would be a pretty funny explanation. They should actually go with that. Have some obnoxious decillionaire show up, and he and the Orville crew are completely bewildered by each other's humor.
    Last edited by AndrewCrossett; 10-13-2017 at 08:04 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Yeah, the weirdest thing about this show is that all of their pop culture knowledge seems to be from the late 20th/early 21st century. There must have been a 400-year period with no memorable entertainment, I guess. Which is kind of believable.

Nice that they called out Ed for his decision to "save" those kids while incinerating their mothers and fathers. He did it for himself, not for them, because it's so much harder to kill a child whose face you can see. There were probably kids on that Krill ship they blew up in the opening scene, too.
    There may have been kids on the Krill ship they blew up, but Ed lacked the ability to save them. Not so when he was on the ship. Not really seeing the issue here. The tactically wise thing, and moral thing, aren't always the same.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    There may have been kids on the Krill ship they blew up, but Ed lacked the ability to save them. Not so when he was on the ship. Not really seeing the issue here. The tactically wise thing, and moral thing, aren't always the same.
    But if he meets a Krill ship in battle in the future, would he go ahead and destroy it knowing that their custom is apparently to have children on board as trainees? He said he would have no soul if he allowed them to die, but does that only apply to kids he's actually met? They're probably on the verge of war against the Krill... will this be in his mind every time he engages them in battle?

But if he meets a Krill ship in battle in the future, would he go ahead and destroy it knowing that their custom is apparently to have children on board as trainees? He said he would have no soul if he allowed them to die, but does that only apply to kids he's actually met? They're probably on the verge of war against the Krill... will this be in his mind every time he engages them in battle?
    He had the opportunity to save the Krill children on the ship. I think that will be the litmus test for him in battle he would have to defend his ship and the Union but if he can stop the Krill and not kill any of their children he will but if left with no choice he will probably will.

I have to admit out of the future Sci-Fi shows I think Babylon 5 handled pop culture best. Star Trek usually focused on classics like classic music and writings well except for Paris and Enterprise explored 20 Century culture with Movie Night. Orville so far is mostly focused on the 20th and 21st century. B5 I think did it best because it would reference classic music and writings but also things like Marilyn Monroe and Daffy Duck while creating their own like Rebo and Zooty.

Did enjoy the message about the dangers of religious indoctrination.

Anyone else thinking telling the Krill kid where Earth is will be a big problem and not a smart move?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Anyone else thinking telling the Krill kid where Earth is will be a big problem and not a smart move?
    I'm guessing they were just making it up when they pointed Earth out to the kid. Hard to believe they'd be able to immediately identify it visually from a random given point in the galaxy.

I'm guessing they were just making it up when they pointed Earth out to the kid. Hard to believe they'd be able to immediately identify it visually from a random given point in the galaxy.
    Yes, Ed even said that the kid couldn't see Earth's star. Ed just gave a general location.