Page 19 of 53 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: The Orville

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I suppose lots of crimes would fit this category. Burglary, vandalism, hit and run, drug dealing, armed robbery by a masked gunman. Perhaps the police don't just depend on
    the crowd to solve crimes, but instead do actively investigate crimes and then the suspects the police capture are voted upon. All we really saw of the police was just how they
    handled people who had already come to the public attention.
    That sounds likely. Basically the first part of criminal investigations happens as it does on earth, but the trial uses the entire world as a jury.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Good to know there will be a second season. Sad to think we're past the halfway point in the season.

I predict that in the time between this season and next, THE ORVILLE will pick up a lot of delayed views as word of mouth gets around. I just wish those nasty critics gave it a second chance. The split on Rotten Tomatoes is ridiculous, 18% vs 93%. What the hell!!!??
    Usually RT just publishes reviews for the first episode and never bother to update their rankings to include reviews for subsequent episodes. So while The Orville has greatly improved
    since the first episode, the RT score won't reflect that.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

See now, that was the most well constructed episode yet. Brannon Braga. This is why Seth should bring in more writers with experience in the hour-long drama format.

Retired

I kept expecting those kids were holographic projections or something like that. Maybe they came out of the replicator. They were really annoying. But it was still a good story and nice character development for Dr. Finn and Isaac.

Penny Johnson Jerald has got more work on this season of THE ORVILLE than the enitre time she was on CASTLE.

Yeah, the kids were annoying. My favorite moment was when Isaac did a little skeet shooting with that damned game.

I had no idea until this episode that Claire even had kids.

Boy, they sure raise 'em stupid on that moon. How many dozens of guys get shot down before the others decide maybe running toward the robot with the blaster is not such a good idea. I'm surprised they were smart enough to run from the ship's guns.

Retired

I don't think we were ever given a reason to think Claire was a mother before this episode. That's why I kept expecting this was all just an elaborate fantasy sequence. If the kids had died, I would not have cared. What's important is that Isaac learned some new things about humans.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by passerby View Post
    If I were that barista, I would not know how to live my life any more. Seeing aliens, making friends with them, getting aboard their ship, helping them save their crew mate, and then a goodbye and never see them ever again? I can't tell anyone lest they think I'm making **** up to get attention and get downvoted to lobotomyville. I have to keep it all bottled up for the rest of my life.
    Another one of those episodes where we could use a follow-up.

And here is what happened to the father of Claire's kids. He went to live in a wormhole with the Prophets.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

I kept expecting those kids were holographic projections or something like that. Maybe they came out of the replicator. They were really annoying. But it was still a good story and nice character development for Dr. Finn and Isaac.

Penny Johnson Jerald has got more work on this season of THE ORVILLE than the enitre time she was on CASTLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Yeah, the kids were annoying. My favorite moment was when Isaac did a little skeet shooting with that damned game.

I had no idea until this episode that Claire even had kids.

Boy, they sure raise 'em stupid on that moon. How many dozens of guys get shot down before the others decide maybe running toward the robot with the blaster is not such a good idea. I'm surprised they were smart enough to run from the ship's guns.
    In other words they were kids acting like kids.

I think the indigenous people on that moon were sort of zombiefied by the disease and weren't thinking all that rationally. Sort of like how actual zombies keep coming even as their fellow zombies are having
    their heads blown off by shotguns.

Retired

Well we don't know for sure that they're regular kids. I still think that Dr. Finn got them from her replicator some time between this episode and the previous one, since she's never mentioned them before "Into the Fold" (please correct me if I'm wrong about that).

Not only do we get two surprise kids, we get two kids behaving badly. And the last time I remember a star ship's doctor who had an annoying son, it was not good.

I had a theory that Finn was taking the kids to the pleasure planet to get rid of them. Like how people take unwanted rabbits out to the forest and set them free, when they've tired of them. The fact that Claire couldn't control these ankle-biters supported that theory.

The show needs some red shirts. They can't always have the same crew members getting in trouble.

Ultimate Member

lol

Man, those kids did not make a good first impression.

I agree though, they should have alluded to Claire's kids. You think she would have said something when Bortus wanted his daughter changed.

As for a father, I thought the episode made it pretty clear there isn't one. Artificial insemination was referenced, IIRC.

Retired

I liked when Mercer said "We gotta get better people." Which supports my theory that the Orville gets the Union's rejects. It's essentially a take on THE WACKIEST SHIP IN THE ARMY (1960).
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 11-03-2017 at 09:14 PM.

The drama and the comedy sometimes work at cross purposes on this show, as we saw in "Majority Rule." This episode was where the experience of someone like Braga came in... an episode should be either primarily dramatic or primarily comedic, though there are opportunities for a little appropriate comedy in a dramatic episode.

Mighty Member

Isaac would make the perfect babysitter

Well we don't know for sure that they're regular kids. I still think that Dr. Finn got them from her replicator some time between this episode and the previous one, since she's never mentioned them before "Into the Fold" (please correct me if I'm wrong about that).

Not only do we get two surprise kids, we get two kids behaving badly. And the last time I remember a star ship's doctor who had an annoying son, it was not good.

I had a theory that Finn was taking the kids to the pleasure planet to get rid of them. Like how people take unwanted rabbits out to the forest and set them free, when they've tired of them. The fact that Claire couldn't control these ankle-biters supported that theory.

The show needs some red shirts. They can't always have the same crew members getting in trouble.
    I thought the issue with that one was every time he showed up it was to save the ship because the adults were idiots. Although I do find it ironic that the scene nearly everyone loves with him getting told off is where the capt. is dead wrong to have done so.