Page 32 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: The Orville

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    My argument for the Regorians is that since they were born in an entirely diffrent part of the Galaxy, that constellation doesn't exist where they are, therefore people born in that month aren't influenced bu it as they are on Regor.
    All constellations are is a random grouping of stars that people see patterns in. And these imaginary patterns only exist for an observer in one point in space. The reality is these stars can be millions of light years
    away from each other and have no real relationship to one another. Not only that but stars move relative to one another so the current constellations didn't even exist millions or even thousands of years ago.
    So no one is actually influenced by the constellations themselves on Regor or anywhere else. The only possible relationship is that the time of the year someone is born could in theory affect a personality
    and the constellation is just a marker for that event. But even that is unlikely. Just superstitious nonsense.
    While we are on the topic of constellations, never understood what an Orion Slave Girl was, as there is no such star as Orion or even a specific region in space that is Orion.
    And the Orion constellation certainly wouldn't exist as seen from Vulcan or Kronos or Romulus.
    Fun fact for maybe only me. When I was serving in the US Navy, the ship I served on was the aircraft carrier USS Constellation CV64. It's motto was "Stairway to the Stars".

Yes Osiris, I am aware of the silliness of astrology, though you had some cool facts in your post.
    I was just thinking how to convince these superstitious people that your crew members shouldn't be judged the same as inhabitants.
    The Rigors had modern enough science to know there were other planets around the other stars, so they should have been able to understand that the constellations were different on other worlds.
    My thinking was that convincing them there superstition was wrong would be much harder than convincing them it didn't apply to Kelly and Bortus.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Yes Osiris, I am aware of the silliness of astrology, though you had some cool facts in your post.
    I was just thinking how to convince these superstitious people that your crew members shouldn't be judged the same as inhabitants.
    The Rigors had modern enough science to know there were other planets around the other stars, so they should have been able to understand that the constellations were different on other worlds.
    My thinking was that convincing them there superstition was wrong would be much harder than convincing them it didn't apply to Kelly and Bortus.
    I agree, the problem I had with this ep is this particular rule should not apply to Kelly and Bortus. To me Ed had the right to get them out of there any time because they were not inhabitants. I still enjoyed the episode. This show is really sweet and has other things in its favor like the score, the visuals, the character banter, plus we get space exploration and some really good stories and even good drama and emotion. I'm so in.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I agree, the problem I had with this ep is this particular rule should not apply to Kelly and Bortus. To me Ed had the right to get them out of there any time because they were not inhabitants. I still enjoyed the episode. This show is really sweet and has other things in its favor like the score, the visuals, the character banter, plus we get space exploration and some really good stories and even good drama and emotion. I'm so in.
    I saw it was they believed it was their moral obligation to separate "Jilly's?" From society so much so even the Jilly's believed it so I could see them thinking it would be morally wrong to turn over Bortis and Kelly since they'd be allowed to mix into a society even if not their own. The show did do a poor job conveying that if it was the reason.

I like the idea of taking a superstition like astrology and turning it into something dangerous, although I don't think the solution was quite that great. I wonder if Ed could've bluffed a war with them just so they'd release his officers?

I also wonder why they don't just make it illegal for anyone to breed/have sex 9 months prior to the time a baby will be born under the undesirable astrological sign? Sure, mistakes would happen and people would break that law, but there seem to have been a lot of babies born during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Maybe the real test is how long it takes you to realize the only way to beat this scenario is creatively reprogramming the simulation?
    Now that would be downright nutty.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    In regards to the new security chief, I think I like her, while they're the same species personality wise she's not an Alara clone she's far more blunt. Might take me a couple episodes to get used to her.
    The same may be true for Ed. I'm just waiting for the moment when he accidentally calls her Alara or even asks her to "open a jar of pickles" and then realizes how much he misses Alara.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Or maybe these events from the future are beamed into Seth McFarlane's head as he sleeps and he writes it all down when he wakes up, but his brain can only retain facts based on his own view of reality--so everything gets transcribed into a Seth McFarlane understanding of existence.
    Would they give Ed the Benny Russell treatment? I can see it now. A meta episode where Ed wakes up as Seth MacFarlane, and he tries to convince people that he's actually a starship captain and no one believes him. However, Fox thinks it's a great idea for a TV show, so they turn it into a Family Guy-style animated spoof.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    Would they give Ed the Benny Russell treatment? I can see it now. A meta episode where Ed wakes up as Seth MacFarlane, and he tries to convince people that he's actually a starship captain and no one believes him. However, Fox thinks it's a great idea for a TV show, so they turn it into a Family Guy-style animated spoof.
    I am waiting for Ed Mercer to show up on Family Guy. Seth just has to do it.

This is a fun show, but one just has to overlook super-glaring plotholes. You just can't think too deeply about the things here that make no sense. This is advanced Star Trek fanfiction rather than satire or even "good" storytelling - it's a pastiche of various familiar ST tropes rejiggered by manatees.

The latest episode is the same. Even by their own rules, there was absolutely no reason they wouldn't release LadyJayne and Worf - they don't want people with that astrological sign to potentially threaten their society so letting them leave the planet is a much better option than keeping them on your planet while antagonizing a far advanced civilization.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-28-2019 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    This is a fun show, but one just has to overlook super-glaring plotholes. You just can't think too deeply about the things here that make no sense. This is advanced Star Trek fanfiction rather than satire or even "good" storytelling - it's a pastiche of various familiar ST tropes rejiggered by manatees.

The latest episode is the same. Even by their own rules, there was absolutely no reason they wouldn't release LadyJayne and Worf - they don't want people with that astrological sign to potentially threaten their society so letting them leave the planet is a much better option than keeping them on your planet while antagonizing a far advanced civilization.
    You are expecting a society that sends people to concentration camps based on their astrological sign to think logically. Imagine this scenario. This planet is ruled by Nazis. Would they have let a Jew or Homosexual or Gypsy go just because
    those people are from another planet? (On the CW their Crisis on Earth-X story sort of answered that question)

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    You are expecting a society that sends people to concentration camps based on their astrological sign to think logically. Imagine this scenario. This planet is ruled by Nazis. Would they have let a Jew or Homosexual or Gypsy go just because
    those people are from another planet? (On the CW their Crisis on Earth-X story sort of answered that question)
    I think the writers should at least be consistent to their own established logic. These weren't Nazis, they were superstitious and fearful of letting certain people walking around their society. The plot-driven need for conflict was the only reason the people in charge didn't just say "Take them and get off our planet." Some things are just more believable than others, and for a show where I have a high threshold for suspending my disbelief, that's one where I just rolled my eyes. But my point is that I acknowledge this show barely tries to make logical sense - it's all about the broad strokes and indulging in some high-production fan-fiction.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-28-2019 at 01:25 PM.

Ultimate Member

Gotta wonder if Kelly really thought out her plan. How exactly was she going to escape, even if they got out of the camp

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I think the writers should at least be consistent to their own established logic. These weren't Nazis, they were superstitious and fearful of letting certain people walking around their society. The plot-driven need for conflict was the only reason the people in charge didn't just say "Take them and get off our planet." Some things are just more believable than others, and for a show where I have a high threshold for suspending my disbelief, that's one where I just rolled my eyes. But my point is that I acknowledge this show barely tries to make logical sense - it's all about the broad strokes and indulging in some high-production fan-fiction.
    They were the equivalent of Nazis. The Nazis were also superstitious and fearful. The whole basis of Nazis wanting to kill off other races was that they thought Aryans were the descendants of gods and that mixing with
    "inferior" races was what had taken their godhood away. So by eliminating "inferior" races their blood would become pure again and they could once again become gods. The Orville just substituted one dangerous superstition
    for another dangerous superstition.

Still flying

Personally I am really missing the humour in this show. Season 2 is taking itself way to seriously. Some of the humour in season 1 was really forced and, while I'm happy that they toned it back, it is practically non existent in season 2.

Quote Originally Posted by DjMichael691 View Post
    Personally I am really missing the humour in this show. Season 2 is taking itself way to seriously. Some of the humour in season 1 was really forced and, while I'm happy that they toned it back, it is practically non existent in season 2.
    I disagree. For me the show works best when the humor is toned down in most episodes. This show is basically a mix of TOS/TNG. It needs to take itself seriously enough. Too much humor and you lose the heart and stakes.

There is still some humor in every episode as well as lighthearted scenes and moments in a way that TNG or TOS never did. The Orville is a great mix of campy and serious. I'm really enjoying Season 2 because the stories have real drama but the humor is still there just more in the background.

Amazing they could pull off that story and keep it smart and touching among the more sophmoric jokes.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

"Happy Refrain," my favourite episode of this season so far and one of the best overall.