Page 33 of 53 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: The Orville

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Amazing they could pull off that story and keep it smart and touching among the more sophmoric jokes.
    The dirty underwear was a nice touch.

Also, Seth McFarlane must take every chance he gets to weave in showtunes, he even squeezed an orchestra in there, he must have been thrilled.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I disagree. For me the show works best when the humor is toned down in most episodes. This show is basically a mix of TOS/TNG. It needs to take itself seriously enough. Too much humor and you lose the heart and stakes.

There is still some humor in every episode as well as lighthearted scenes and moments in a way that TNG or TOS never did. The Orville is a great mix of campy and serious. I'm really enjoying Season 2 because the stories have real drama but the humor is still there just more in the background.
    I'm with you. I think there's still plenty of humour but it's more organically woven into the stories, primarily by being character-focused. I'm a huge comedy fan but the show clearly struggled to mesh the comedy and scifi in the early episodes of season 1. It's much more natural and effective now.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Deleted scene from last night. Issac contacts his home planet to discuss his date.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

Claire's had sex with a alien glob and now a robot. Yep, awesome show.

Quote Originally Posted by tabo61 View Post
    Claire's had sex with a alien glob and now a robot. Yep, awesome show.
    It's nice to see them show that love or sex doesn't have to occur between just humans.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

And Ed had sex with a Krill woman. Though she was genetically formed into human at the time, or something
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Loved this episode! This show really surprises me when I least expect it in the best way possible. It makes me happy.

One moment I'm tearing up and inspired and moved, and the next I have a big grin on my face. This is why I love Science Fiction. Let's hope the show continues to surprise us and we get another season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    I'm with you. I think there's still plenty of humour but it's more organically woven into the stories, primarily by being character-focused. I'm a huge comedy fan but the show clearly struggled to mesh the comedy and scifi in the early episodes of season 1. It's much more natural and effective now.
    Completely agree.

you know what The Orville reminds me of? To Doctor Who when it's great. A great mix of fun and serious, and also the wonder of space and the universe.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 02-02-2019 at 10:37 AM.

And Ed had sex with a Krill woman. Though she was genetically formed into human at the time, or something
    I am guessing all humanoids have similar plumbing. If the general body plan is similar, two arms, two legs, a head on top with eyes, a mouth, ears, and a nose in the same place, why not?

That one will straddle a line since he didn't know at the time.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    That one will straddle a line since he didn't know at the time.
    Kirk and Riker never had any problem getting it on with an alien. Ed seems rather open minded so I doubt having relations with a friendly Krill would be a problem for Ed either.

Still flying

Loved this episode. This episode is what the beginning of the season was missing for me.
    That mustache had me in stitches.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Yeah, if you were complaining about the lack of humour, hopefully this episode scratched that itch.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Finally caught up watching this, thanks to the skip week.

I dunno... I kind of thought Bortus looked good with his mustache.

And I was kind of hoping they'd let Mark Jackson permanently get out of the suit and play himself. I know he can only assume that form in the holodeck, but he could rig up a portable holo-emitter or something.

And Norm MacDonald. Nooooorm!

I never quite understood the notion that a sentient, self-aware artificial intelligence wouldn't have emotions. Seems like one proceeds from the other... I don't know why having a meat body or a metal one would be relevant.

Retired

At first I didn't like that Isaac's face was so expressionless. But I came to appreciate the genius of that, because it leaves a lot to the imagination. Allowing the actor to appear in the simulation is fine, but I think it would start to take away from Isaac's character if he got a mobile emitter and the actor could always appear like his regular self.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

They probably wouldn't do it because it would make him even more like Data than he already is.

The actor has done a pretty good job of conveying with body language what he can't convey with his face.