Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The Orville

I'd say Star Trek does have the Manifest Destiny vibe that many western frontier stories have. There is a lot of traveling into the unknown and meeting barbarians and either killing them or teaching them your superior culture. They even share the trait of having become uncomfortable around the same time, because of the same Unfortunate Implications subtext.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I'd say Star Trek does have the Manifest Destiny vibe that many western frontier stories have. There is a lot of traveling into the unknown and meeting barbarians and either killing them or teaching them your superior culture.
    Well, Roddenberry tried to minimize that aspect by introducing the Prime Directive. But it was ignored or circumvented when the writers or producers decided it would hamstring the action.

Retired

I don't want to go off on a tangent (from what is already a tangent) to talk about all the similarities between Westerns and Space Operas, but they are there and they were there long before STAR TREK. And note I say Space Opera, to distinguish it from science fiction as a whole. There's lots of Western style in John Carter of Mars, Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers. And in the 1950s, two big interests for kids were Westerns and Space Operas. One is a fantasy version of the past and the other is a fantasy version of the future. So anyone can make that analysis if they want--but I think it's a waste of time to do it here.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Za Waldo View Post
    I'm not saying it's a bad pitch, it's a great pitch, it's also just not anything like what Star Trek actually is. .
    Kirk was also described by Roddenberry as like Horatio Hornblower, which was never remotely true. Hornblower was defined by self doubt. Roddenberry strikes me much like Stan Lee in this regard, who tends to describe his work in whatever way he thinks his current audience wants to hear.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Well Kirk really didn't dispense frontier justice in reality I think he conferred with Starfleet via Admirals and Commodores more than Picard. I also think Picard broke the Prime Directive more than Kirk. Kirk gets a cowboy rep but honestly when comparing to Picard, Janeway, and Sisko he's practically a boy scout.
    The original Enterprise crew struck me as the most balanced problem-solvers. Spock was cold logic, McCoy was emotional, and Kirk (generally) found the best balance between the approaches.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Well Kirk really didn't dispense frontier justice in reality I think he conferred with Starfleet via Admirals and Commodores more than Picard. I also think Picard broke the Prime Directive more than Kirk. Kirk gets a cowboy rep but honestly when comparing to Picard, Janeway, and Sisko he's practically a boy scout.
    Nah, Starfleet would send him on his missions, but then he'd be on his own... judging Khan, taking out the computers in the Apple and Archons, deciding to maroon mitchell, deciding how to deal with the gangster planet, etc.... there were no star fleet conferences, and he interfered / broke the PD way more then Picard - in fact, i think Kirk's interpretation of the rule was completely different then it was in TNG and only applied to growing, healthy cultures / without warp.

Lurker

I watched this show with my wife last night and we enjoyed it. It was a lot better than I thought it would be. I'm a fan of Seth, but his side projects tend to be hit or miss, so I assumed this one would be a miss. I think it helps if you're a fan of Star Trek, but don't take things too seriously. I can see die-hard Trekkers (Trekkies) being offended by this show, even though it is quite tame compared to what Seth usually does.

Trekkies are offended by everything.

So ... this thread seems to generally like it. Is it on Hulu?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

I am a Trekkie and I loved the show.

As of Right Now Seth is Star Trek's real daddy.

#Don'tbuySTD

Quote Originally Posted by Deadxman View Post

#Don'tbuySTD
    Don't Buy STD is always good advice

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deadxman View Post

#Don'tbuySTD
    I assume this means that you shouldn't pay to contract sexually transmitted diseases?

Anyone seen the Star Trek pilot before the show became a series and Kirk joined as Captain? I saw it a couple of years ago and it was pretty interesting, all the crew members basically acted like Spock. While this probably would not have been sustainable for long, I thought it was a more interesting take, it's like they were trying to say that this would be the way people would communicate with each other in the future, esp, while running a spaceship, they were all more cold and logical and analytic.

Enjoyed the first episode, I'm on board. But the second they force an excuse for Seth to sing in an episode I may bail.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    Anyone seen the Star Trek pilot before the show became a series and Kirk joined as Captain? I saw it a couple of years ago and it was pretty interesting, all the crew members basically acted like Spock. While this probably would not have been sustainable for long, I thought it was a more interesting take, it's like they were trying to say that this would be the way people would communicate with each other in the future, esp, while running a spaceship, they were all more cold and logical and analytic.
    Spock didn't yet have the "cold logical" part to the characater; that was instead the role of his Number One, an un-named female played by the creator's mistress, who later became Nurse Chapel. Spock was still just a generic alien. They combined the two characters when the show got picked up after its second pilot, since the studio had a problem with either the idea of the female XO or the preferential hiring. Yes, the crew behaved in a professional manner, but thats not saying that they were all acting cold and logical, OR that it was anything futuristic - a good military crew should be disciplined and professional to start with, IMO.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Enjoyed the first episode, I'm on board. But the second they force an excuse for Seth to sing in an episode I may bail.
    Holodeck nightclub noir game.