Page 40 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: The Orville

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    This two-parter was probably may favorite "Star Trek" episode since TNG. They must have gotten one hell of a budget for that battle scene.

I agree that Isaac being allowed to serve on the Orville again smacks of meta necessity rather than plot logic. I mean, how many hundreds of people died because of what he did? Everyone on the ship probably lost friends because of him. He is not going to be a popular fellow. I hope the show reflects that and doesn't just re-set things to normal with him.

I guess the Kaylons are being set up as this show's answer to the Borg or Dominion... the big bad external threat that forces the usual enemies to join forces. But it seems like the Krill haven't been established well enough as an enemy for this to seem like a game-changer. Hopefully the show will subvert expectations by having the alliance fail to happen, or fall apart catastrophically.

Since the Krill were able to decimate and drive off a Kaylon fleet with relative ease, why haven't they wiped out the Union long ago?

I guess the show isn't going to be much of a comedy anymore. That's kind of disappointing
    It wasn't the Krill alone who did it, the Union fleet also helped. I don't think separate could have the same effect.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    It wasn't the Krill alone who did it, the Union fleet also helped. I don't think separate could have the same effect.
    The Krill also had the element of surprise and came out of nowhere.

With MacFarlane being such an unabashed Trekkie, I wouldn't be surprised if he was inspired by this scene (at 1:21):

But the first battle between the Krill and the Kaylon set it up nicely. One Kaylon ship almost effortlessly took out two out of three ships.

Also, I think I found myself cheering for Gordon in the Krill fighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    The Krill also had the element of surprise and came out of nowhere.

With MacFarlane being such an unabashed Trekkie, I wouldn't be surprised if he was inspired by this scene (at 1:21):

But the first battle between the Krill and the Kaylon set it up nicely. One Kaylon ship almost effortlessly took out two out of three ships.

Also, I think I found myself cheering for Gordon in the Krill fighter.
    I was cheering for sure!

the battle was pretty dynamic and epic and something rare for TV. I have no idea what's next for the rest of the season, but it's going to hard to top the last episode. I guess if they focus on a really good story with good drama and Sci-Fi, it will fine. We need a good cliffhanger for the finale, I think. Especially if the show gets renewed... which should because the ratings have been steady with over 5 million viewers in L+7.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 03-07-2019 at 10:45 AM.

Mighty Member

Awesome space battle.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Those ancient Meat Kaylons should have read their Asimov before building an army of robots. Three Laws, people... learn 'em, love 'em, live 'em.

I'm surprised something as simple as an EMP could disable the Kaylons... even more surprised they don't have shielding against that. You would have thought the Meat Kaylons would have tried that, too.

And wouldn't the EMP have disabled the ship as well?

Great Gordon episode.

Three60guy

Hi Fans

I'm trying to figure out what happened to the "daughter" in this episode. The one with yellow blood. Nothing was mentioned after the room she was in was secured. I think they forgot to mention it.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Three60guy View Post
    Hi Fans

I'm trying to figure out what happened to the "daughter" in this episode. The one with yellow blood. Nothing was mentioned after the room she was in was secured. I think they forgot to mention it.

Cheers
    Orin said his real daughter was killed with his wife and he met the fake daughter after escaping she has her own grudge against the Krill. I'm assuming they turned her over to the Krill.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Those ancient Meat Kaylons should have read their Asimov before building an army of robots. Three Laws, people... learn 'em, love 'em, live 'em.

I'm surprised something as simple as an EMP could disable the Kaylons... even more surprised they don't have shielding against that. You would have thought the Meat Kaylons would have tried that, too.

And wouldn't the EMP have disabled the ship as well?
    An EMP from a nuclear explosion would probably be a broad spectrum EMP and disable everything. But I suspect that the EMP which Issac created would by tuned to specific frequencies that only would affect
    the Kaylons. It is possible it never occurred to the Meat Kaylons to use an EMP or by the time they realized what was going on it was too late to try to create one.

Solid episode, bit predictable but I didn't see that twist at the end coming. Actor who plays Gordon does drama well. And humor too. I like him.

Talla: Have you ever met a Xelayan? You have now.

I love the visual FX in this show so damn much. This show never bores me, solid stories.

Also, I don't like to over analyze my Sci-Fi shows, because I'm sure I'll always find flaws. Unless something really bothers me, I just ignore the little things that don't really matter to the bigger picture.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 03-08-2019 at 09:07 AM.

Retired

Early in the episode, the Krill said they didn't care about the daughter and the Orville could keep her, they just wanted Orrin. I imagine the Orville will hand her over to Union authorities, since they still don't have an extradition treaty with the Krill and they know that they mistreat their prisoners.

Astonishing Member

What I like is that show deal with some interesting moral and personal conflicts without some of the pomposity that afflicted the Star Trek shows at times.

It gets better and better. Got to love the glove delaying tactic.

A peace treaty with the Krill already. Interesting. I wonder if we will see other faction of Krill that don't follow the main principles of those we've seen. They can't ALL worship Avis, can they?

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    A peace treaty with the Krill already. Interesting. I wonder if we will see other faction of Krill that don't follow the main principles of those we've seen. They can't ALL worship Avis, can they?
    I'm sure the treaty will only last as long as the Kaylon threat does. Being religious fanatics, I'm sure the Krill don't consider agreements with infidels to be binding. But the admiral mentioned there may be moderate elements at work there.

I'm just surprised the peace survived the body cavity searches.

I wondered why the wounds on Leyna's arms were red, but her blood was yellow. I guess they would have used makeup to change them to red just in case anyone noticed them, to avoid immediately giving her away.

Nice to see Yaphit get a medal for his bravery against the Kaylons... but shouldn't Ty have gotten one too?

Retired

I wanted to see a Star Wars tribute scene at the beginning of the episode, where grand music plays as Gordon, Yaphit, Kelly and Tyler all step forward to get their medals from Ed then turn to face the crowd.