Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The Orville

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    I assume this means that you shouldn't pay to contract sexually transmitted diseases?
    Hookers? Seems like a strange warning to slap onto the end of a unrelated message, even if it's nonetheless a good warning when getting some strange.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    I assume this means that you shouldn't pay to contract sexually transmitted diseases?
    No, it means don't pay for CBS All Access to watch the new Star Trek - Discovery show. (STD)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by feenix219 View Post
    No, it means don't pay for CBS All Access to watch the new Star Trek - Discovery show. (STD)
    What are jokes?

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I'll probably watch the Discovery pilot if it's shown for free, but I'm not subscribing to another service even if it's good. Watching one good show is not worth the trade-off of me having to pay even more to watch stuff than I already am.

Quote Originally Posted by Spensieri View Post
    I can see die-hard Trekkers (Trekkies) being offended by this show, even though it is quite tame compared to what Seth usually does.
    If anything, it looks to me like some kind of weird love letter to Star Trek so to be offended by any of that would be a tad ridiculous really, even by die-hard fans standards.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Watched the first episode today and loved it.

The jokes were genuinely funny and I laughed out loud several times. The characters were quirky, but still felt human and not like running gags. The production values are great.

Really looking forward to where they're going with this.

OK, watched the first ep and really enjoyed it.

Just the right blend of humor and drama, and the humor was funny without being too juvenile or offensive. The story was well written with some creative problem solving.

The SFX were kind of 90's, but honestly I see that as a feature rather than a bug.

I think the show won me over when practically the first thing they did was make fun of the holodeck.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Second episode was really good too.

I wonder if they'll ever come up with an in-universe reason why 20th and 21st earth century pop culture is still so prevalent 400 years later.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Second episode was really good too.

I wonder if they'll ever come up with an in-universe reason why 20th and 21st earth century pop culture is still so prevalent 400 years later.
    You ever see any Shakespeare stuff?

Retired

This episode was much better than the first. It weaved together some really good stories and the humour hardly ever seemed forced but came from the characters. Also, this episode sets up things we can look forward to in future episodes.

The references to our current culture are strange, but in line with this being a Star Trek show in all but name. Star Trek always did this. If there's a reason for it, maybe late 20th/early 21st century culture is in vogue on Earth--just like the 1980s seems to be really popular right now. It is funny when some of the crew don't get the references.

Calling female officers "sir" always bugs me. When I was in the military this was never the practice. And I don't see how calling a woman "sir" is less sexist than calling her "ma'am"--surely it's more so using a male honorific for everyone--and a male bias we've fought against in modern English usage. But a lot of other TV shows do this and I hear it happens in some organizations, so it's not the fault of this one show.

Second episode wasn't bad. The security girl is really cute.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Seems to me they have too many main characters

Seth captain
    Adrienne as first officer
    Bortas as 3rd officer but then what else does he do.

Security officer girl (who opened hailing frequencys so apparently there is no communications officer)

Robot (what is his job)

Two people at the con, grimes is the pilot so what's the other dudes job.

Not to mention the doctor.

The one person we don't seem to have is an engineer or at least we haven't been down to engineering yet
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

BANNED

Yeah, this one was far better than the first episode. There was this weird atmosphere about the first episode, like a general feeling of boredom permeated much of the dialogue scenes. This one everything flowed together much better. It just kind of felt it could be a Star Trek kind of show where people just happen to talk in a different way...which is what it is.

With any show or movie set in the distant future, I just assume that the dialogue is "translated" into something we can understand. It's the same way even with straight dramas like Star Trek... if you actually travelled 200-300 years into the future, you would probably have a hard time understanding people, just like someone from the 1700's would have trouble understanding us.

As for pop culture references, whatever the future version of YouTube is probably makes everything readily available. You can already see that effect today. Kids today are way more aware of pop culture from the 80's (30 years ago) than we kids in the 80's were aware of the 50's (30 years earlier). That's because of the Internet, mainly YouTube.

Good stuff. The part with the parents was WAY too long but let's not nitpick.

So far so good Orville.