Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253 LastLast

Thread: The Orville

Speaking of the Moclans, I can't help but wonder if the less than 1% born female statistic is accurate? If female births were so rare as to only occur on average once every 70 years why is there an entire colony of female Moclans and a standardized procedure to "correct" this "birth defect"? Also, I suspect that the vast majority of Moclan parents would opt for the procedure if they have female offspring. Until fairly recently in our world LGBTQ+ numbers were grossly under-reported due to a combination of societal pressures and research bias (the percentage was generally accepted as well under 10% when newer research shows it is likely 20-30%)
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

It's THE ORVILLE PANEL 2022 FROM SAN DIEGO COMIC CON

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-7mD1xkxni8
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I know this is a fan request for a while, but I was in the Picard Thread and reading how Avery Brooks will probably never return to ST so I wouldn't mind him being cast as Dr. Finn's sons biological father.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    It's THE ORVILLE PANEL 2022 FROM SAN DIEGO COMIC CON

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-7mD1xkxni8
    Thanks a bunch! That was so good had to watch it twice. Wow. And what Penny Johnson said about Avery Brooks:

Apparently it will still stream on Hulu but the seasons will also be available on Disney+ as well. https://deadline.com/2022/07/the-orv...6065/#comments
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

The latest ep was pretty good and it's great that Topa's storyline has continued over the course of the show since she was a baby. I found it an odd choice that she didn't say one word to testify at the council meeting. They very easily could have given the bulk of Bortus's lines to her in that moment. She was like a poster child for a cause, but left voiceless -- again, I found that an odd choice by the writers.

Great episode today. I am upset over who died. Unlike Strange New Worlds, I don’t think they killed off the right person.
    Last edited by Witchfan; 07-28-2022 at 08:54 AM.

Retired

I'm still waiting on "Chekov's sandwich." Near the beginning of "Twice in a Lifetime," Malloy sends his sandwich into the future. I expected during that episode that the sandwich would reappear--in theory it should. When it didn't, I expected it would arrive in a later episode. Why introduce a time-travelling sandwich if there isn't going to be closure for the sandwich?

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Great episode today. I am upset over who died. Unlike Strange New Worlds, I don’t think they killed off the right person.
    I wish this was two episodes or something. The resolution to something so huge seemed like it deserved that. Aside from how it was similar to a "ST:TNG" storyline about the Borg, this story felt forced, and made it very obvious why that character was on the show. It ultimately felt contrived rather than an evolution of the character. I liked what they did with shifting alliances during wartime etc., but ST: DS9 did it better over more episodes so that the payoff made sense and was able to convey the emotions it was going for.

1. I'm just going to say it. I hate the fighter squadrons. I hate them in Trek, I hate them here. Dogfights in shows like this just feel weird.

2. Teleya, the only actual good villain the show has managed to create. Going forward (hopefully the show is renewed.) they start to create more villains. Also...how are they going to put her on trial for war crimes? All she has to say is Admiral Ted Danson gave it to her and told her that the Union said that it would be okay to use it as part of a super secret plan and she had no idea why they attacked her. Hanging out with the Moclans looks pretty bad but that can be explained away. Liked how she beat up Grayson in a fight, that puts an end to that argument.

3. Who all thought Malloy was going to die? Burke just seemed so obvious that I thought they would pull a swerve and kill Malloy especially after the whole "My family was erased from time" debacle.

4.Burke is dead.

5. I would have preferred that one of the other two admirals be the traitor.

6. This felt more like a finale to the series.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Ensign Charlie Burke is s good addition to this show. She needs a quick promotion.
    I've never gotten to like the character. She feels out of place. From a humourous angle, it's like she was brought over from STARSHIP TROOPERS. That's pretty funny to imagine as an inside joke.

But seriously, if she's an ensign she shouldn't be at the table with all those high ranking officers. They ought to have given her a battlefield promotion--since her fourth dimensional voodoo trick is apparently something no one else has--then they could overlook her youth and inexperience and give her a higher pay grade.

To me the fourth dimension is time--so what? she thinks in terms of time? How is that a special skill? Since they never have ever tried to define it, they probably don't know what it is she does. They just wanted something that sounded special to justify why she should be invited into places where she had no business being.

Or maybe they don't know the difference between the rank of ensign and the rank of commander. That's a huge gap. An ensign is little better than an officer cadet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I've never gotten to like the character. She feels out of place. From a humourous angle, it's like she was brought over from STARSHIP TROOPERS. That's pretty funny to imagine as an inside joke.

But seriously, if she's an ensign she shouldn't be at the table with all those high ranking officers. They ought to have given her a battlefield promotion--since her fourth dimensional voodoo trick is apparently something no one else has--then they could overlook her youth and inexperience and give her a higher pay grade.

To me the fourth dimension is time--so what? she thinks in terms of time? How is that a special skill? Since they never have ever tried to define it, they probably don't know what it is she does. They just wanted something that sounded special to justify why she should be invited into places where she had no business being.

Or maybe they don't know the difference between the rank of ensign and the rank of commander. That's a huge gap. An ensign is little better than an officer cadet.
    She always struck me as this shows version of Wesley Crusher, except everyone on the ship and the audience know how unlikable the character is/was and the show had the good sense to kill her.

I like that we've got to the point in the show where we have enough races like the Krill and the Moclan for this episode to be surprising and feel like it has actual long term consequences. We need more regarding Ed's daughter, though. I think this season's been strong, but I'm still afraid they'll fumble the plot.

Is Nick Chinlund's Captain Dalak dead? The Young Justice fan in me wanted to see him interact with Kelly Hu's Admiral Ozawa.

Who all thought Malloy was going to die? Burke just seemed so obvious that I thought they would pull a swerve and kill Malloy especially after the whole "My family was erased from time" debacle.
    I think they want to keep Malloy for the crazy kind of Miles O'Brien stories they can tell. Plus it's more in character to give him the more comedic lines. The show has gotten more serious, but they still put in the laughs.

5. I would have preferred that one of the other two admirals be the traitor.
    Victor Garber has done the most of them, but it feels like it would be out of character if it were him. And I'd hate to lose him. They didn't necessarily take full advantage of having Ted Danson on the show, but his betrayal and death did have an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

I had a theory that, given her name, she was the subject of some kind of Flowers for Algernon brain-enhancing genetic augmentation. Something illegal, which would be why it isn't public knowledge.

She always struck me as this shows version of Wesley Crusher, except everyone on the ship and the audience know how unlikable the character is/was and the show had the good sense to kill her.
    Wesley Crusher? That's a bit harsh. Being an ensign should at least make her Harry Kim/Nog level.

You think her death was a reaction? I would guess her entire arc was planned - her sacrifice was the whole point of the character from the very beginning.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 08-03-2022 at 09:43 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I know this is a fan request for a while, but I was in the Picard Thread and reading how Avery Brooks will probably never return to ST so I wouldn't mind him being cast as Dr. Finn's sons biological father.
    Did we ever get a reason why Avery Brooks has devotedly stayed away from startrek?