Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: The Orville

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    With any show or movie set in the distant future, I just assume that the dialogue is "translated" into something we can understand. It's the same way even with straight dramas like Star Trek... if you actually travelled 200-300 years into the future, you would probably have a hard time understanding people, just like someone from the 1700's would have trouble understanding us.

As for pop culture references, whatever the future version of YouTube is probably makes everything readily available. You can already see that effect today. Kids today are way more aware of pop culture from the 80's (30 years ago) than we kids in the 80's were aware of the 50's (30 years earlier). That's because of the Internet, mainly YouTube.
    Oh, I'm totally agreed. It wasn't even a criticism so much as an observation that they could (if they so desired) come up with an in-universe explanation as to why 20th and 21st century pop culture is still so prevalent. If they went with ST logic, it could be the era right before the last world war that finally inspired a lasting peace. Maybe that's why there would be so much interest in the period leading up to that point.

For the record, I'm fine if they never explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Seems to me they have too many main characters

Seth captain
    Adrienne as first officer
    Bortas as 3rd officer but then what else does he do.

Security officer girl (who opened hailing frequencys so apparently there is no communications officer)

Robot (what is his job)

Two people at the con, grimes is the pilot so what's the other dudes job.

Not to mention the doctor.

The one person we don't seem to have is an engineer or at least we haven't been down to engineering yet
    Was the guy who was calling the security officer 'kid' the engineer?

I'm guessing they have a backup helmsman? Maybe in the event that a difficult task requires one's full attention, the other can handle the smaller details?

The robotic alien is the science officer.

Yeah I thought the guy calling her kid was engineering. Funnything is he is also in another new show (the mayer) gotta wonder if he'll be able to do both shows long term.

I kinda thought the robot was science officer. Still do we need a science officer and a third officer and two helmsmen. I wouldn't be surprised if they write the engineer off and promote "Not Scott grimes" to his position.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Yeah I thought the guy calling her kid was engineering. Funnything is he is also in another new show (the mayer) gotta wonder if he'll be able to do both shows long term.

I kinda thought the robot was science officer. Still do we need a science officer and a third officer and two helmsmen. I wouldn't be surprised if they write the engineer off and promote "Not Scott grimes" to his position.
    I'm not sure if the engineering guy was meant to be long-term or a cameo, like Norm MacDonald voicing the blob crewman. I'm kind of wondering if they'll have at least one cameo per episode, given all the Trek and Seth McFarlane fans in Hollywood.

I'm not sure why they need two helmsmen, but they bounce well off each other, so I'll buy whatever logic they throw our way.

And I kind of like that they've got so much to work with in regard to crewmembers. Seems like they'll all get episodes where they come to the forefront.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

It's a helmsman and a navigator, like on Star Trek, right?

Honestly i think it's just for the interactions between the two actors. (and another little nod to star trek)

It's a helmsman and a navigator, like on Star Trek, right?
    Tom did both.

Matt "peace out suckas"

But not sure I thought data was a science officer but he was in gold. Wesley was certainly the pilot. I thought Harry was science officer as well. I just can't imagine needing a pilot and navigator. Sulu was the pilot right with chekov being the security

Matt "peace out suckas"

Data was the ops officer on the bridge. (engineer)

Like Harry Kim was.
    Last edited by Starter Set; 09-18-2017 at 10:26 AM.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

But not sure I thought data was a science officer but he was in gold. Wesley was certainly the pilot. I thought Harry was science officer as well. I just can't imagine needing a pilot and navigator. Sulu was the pilot right with chekov being the security
    Sulu was the helmsman (pilot) and Chekov was the navigator in TOS. Both doubled as science officers.

I enjoyed this ep. Y'know, for a parody show it's really not that far from the show it's parodying. Star Trek had lots of humor that centered around people still being people in the future. It's mildly vulgar, something Star Trek never was, but otherwise it could almost be just another Star Trek spin-off.

The decision to tractor-beam the ship of a hostile species into the ship was spectacularly stupid, though. You don't need a robot science officer to tell you such a ship might have a bomb or something on it. That's just common sense. Really derp move.
    Last edited by MichaelC; 09-18-2017 at 11:11 AM.

I got bits and pieces yesterday(Falcons game was on at the same time) but from what I saw I really liked it, it felt like I was watching TNG, maybe with a bit more humor but just the way the show looks, the way the characters talk, it feels like Star Trek, I hope Fox runs with this show.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Y'know, for a parody show.
    It is clear at this point that it ISN'T a parody. It's an homage. A quite loving one, one from appearances. But definitely not a parody.

Spectacular Member

Sulu was the helmsman (pilot) and Chekov was the navigator in TOS. Both doubled as science officers.
    Yup. Chekov at tactical didn't happen until the TOS movies.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    The part with the parents was WAY too long but let's not nitpick.
    It was Jeffrey Tambor and Holland Taylor!!! And the length of their scene worked for me, as it made sense that the Captain and the XO wanted this to end and were going over to the other ship just so they could avoid this uncomfortable public situation.

I hope we get more scenes with these two.

It's interesting that people don't beam onto other ships--although transmats apparently exist. Personally, I would never trust the transporters on Star Trek--so it's much more reasonable to use shuttle craft, in my view.