Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Astonishing Member

Seems like such a silly thing to fight over.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Seems like such a silly thing to fight over.
    On one hand I agree, one another it was a big moment in Batman comics history and King's run so it's not crazy to think he'd have a opinion on the matter of the artist. Writers get passionate about their runs, they get invested.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I imagine King might have went above Mark's head to demand Finch. It seems like Mark felt pushed out or pushed aside and I'd guess he simply sought less dramatic pastures. It all probably wasn't soooo win/lose though, I'd bet Mark is fine enough with his move. Not fine with the incident, but fine enough his move. He knows King is planted there, so you gotta move.
    I would think that King would know better than to pull an asshat move like that though because the type of work he did prior to becoming a comic book writer. That's not to say he wouldn't have of course but he doesn't strike me as the sort of person who would. I also don't believe that most writers who are doing work for hire really have the kind of power that is often times attributed to them. I'm still thinking there is something more to this then what we know and what's more we might never learn the full story.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Amazing Member

King is getting pretty cocky
    Last edited by Orpheus37; 09-12-2017 at 07:28 PM.

BANNED

Well you have to remember DC most likely promised King the moon when offering him an exclusive contract, so it seems like he was just cashing in on that. Much like that recent ruckus when Rucka was being super controlling over Cho's variant cover art for Wonder Woman, which caused him to leave the book as well.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CryNotWolf View Post
    Well you have to remember DC most likely promised King the moon when offering him an exclusive contract, so it seems like he was just cashing in on that. Much like that recent ruckus when Rucka was being super controlling over Cho's variant cover art for Wonder Woman, which caused him to leave the book as well.
    Sure, that makes sense, but is it really worth it? These writers have to be team players, they need room to write cool stories but to micromanage the art? Why would DC put up with that?

I could see King's view. This was a scene that was going to get a lot of media coverage, on par with Cap bleeding to death on the steps in Captain America #25, Spider-Man dying in Amazing Spider-Man #700/ coming back in Superior #31/ ASM Volume 3 #1, or Batman finding the button in Rebirth, so I could see the preference for giving it to someone who had tenure, who had worked on King's run, and who had worked on the character well before that, especially when it was an year into King's run.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Orpheus37 View Post
    Sure, that makes sense, but is it really worth it? These writers have to be team players, they need room to write cool stories but to micromanage the art? Why would DC put up with that?
    To be fair, we don't know all the details, but it seems like Doyle was the one who wanted to manage the art by bringing in someone new to do the page that he knew was going to end up being iconic and spread everywhere. And like I said earlier, I would have liked to see the pages drawn by someone who isn't as boring as Finch, but that's not how King wanted it, so he put his foot down and stood by his artist.

It's honestly pointless to try and reach any solid conclusion, we are missing way too much information to convict either side.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CryNotWolf View Post
    To be fair, we don't know all the details, but it seems like Doyle was the one who wanted to manage the art by bringing in someone new to do the page that he knew was going to end up being iconic and spread everywhere. And like I said earlier, I would have liked to see the pages drawn by someone who isn't as boring as Finch, but that's not how King wanted it, so he put his foot down and stood by his artist.

It's honestly pointless to try and reach any solid conclusion, we are missing way too much information to convict either side.
    Huh, wasn't there something about Finch being on vacation so they needed to get someone else to do it to meet the deadline, or is that some shady cover story?

I prefer a clean, easy to figure out what's going on scene to prefect anatomy. Finch reminds me of a Jim Lee light and that's OK.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I prefer a clean, easy to figure out what's going on scene to prefect anatomy. Finch reminds me of a Jim Lee light and that's OK.
    EXACTLY!!! I HOPE DC let's them marry. But the chances are... slim to zilch.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

I like Finch's art so I'm glad King got his way.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I could see King's view. This was a scene that was going to get a lot of media coverage, on par with Cap bleeding to death on the steps in Captain America #25, Spider-Man dying in Amazing Spider-Man #700/ coming back in Superior #31/ ASM Volume 3 #1, or Batman finding the button in Rebirth, so I could see the preference for giving it to someone who had tenure, who had worked on King's run, and who had worked on the character well before that, especially when it was an year into King's run.
    I agree. Now, if King hadn't worked with Finch on this run, that's one thing but he did and obviously wants to reward someone who contributed to this run. As a fan, i would personally hate to see someone's random art on a book i've read for months.. Its jarring imo