Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Why are marvel speedsters so terrible?

I know that Marvel isn't really into Speedsters as much as DC but why are Marvel's speedsters so lacklustre? Marvel's most popular character is Quicksilver. He is a character whose claim to fame has less to do with his speed and more to do with the fact that he was Magneto's son. His biggest moments using his powers come from the X-Men movies where his character is so different that he might as well be a different character.

Once you get pass Quicksilver....what's left?

You have The Runner, but he is an Elder Of The Universe and doesn't fit into stories so easily. Is he still alive?

Because Marvel hasn't built a whole franchise around speedsters?

BANNED

Eh, Marvel just doesn't do OP characters very well. I mean, compare Marvel's Magic and its characters to DC's. It's not even a contest. Same goes for Speedsters, and pretty much anyone who's not a Science Hero based in NY. There are exceptions, sure, but Marvel has a very "Specific" character mold.

There's the Whizzer .

Incredible Member

You also have Makkari and Northstar, but I guess I see your point. I'm probably in the minority here, but I always preferred Quicksilver to Flash. Even when I was a kid, I thought it was kind of dumb to have a guy who can run around the entire planet in a few seconds, but can't manage to get the drop on Captain Cold.

Yeah, there are no franchise speedsters in marvel like there are in DC.

Quicksilver and Northstar are kinda cool, but they're more second tier team guys than anything else. I wouldn't say they're terrible by any means, but they're not stars.

There's also Blur, a New Universe immigrant who was in the ANAD Squadron Supreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno_Knight View Post
    Eh, Marvel just doesn't do OP characters very well. I mean, compare Marvel's Magic and its characters to DC's. It's not even a contest. Same goes for Speedsters, and pretty much anyone who's not a Science Hero based in NY. There are exceptions, sure, but Marvel has a very "Specific" character mold.
    Eh, Marvel has their telepaths. They're pretty popular, and also ridiculously OP.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Eh, Marvel has their telepaths. They're pretty popular, and also ridiculously OP.
    You can't really compare them to stuff like Classic Fate, Zatanna or the Endless though. They have some limits. Magic over at DC is completely OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I know that Marvel isn't really into Speedsters as much as DC but why are Marvel's speedsters so lacklustre? Marvel's most popular character is Quicksilver. He is a character whose claim to fame has less to do with his speed and more to do with the fact that he was Magneto's son. His biggest moments using his powers come from the X-Men movies where his character is so different that he might as well be a different character.

Once you get pass Quicksilver....what's left?

You have The Runner, but he is an Elder Of The Universe and doesn't fit into stories so easily. Is he still alive?
    Aurora and Northstar
    Blur
    Whizzer
    The Runner
    Makari
    Speed Demon

i'm sure there are a couple more.

I think one of the reasons Marvel's speedsters aren't as "big" is because they're not as big. The Flashes are tapped into the Speed Force, allowing them to do all sorts of things related to their speed- run through time, vibrate through walls, I think Jessie and Johnny Quick can fly. They can run faster than light.

Quicksilver's top speed is Mach 2 I think. there's no marvel version of the speed force. Marvel's universe, overall, doesn't lend itself to the ginormous power sets that DC gets away with.

You can't really compare them to stuff like Classic Fate, Zatanna or the Endless though. They have some limits. Magic over at DC is completely OP.
    Remember when Dr. Strange didn't need to swing an axe to do his job ?

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Quicksilver's top speed is Mach 2 I think. there's no marvel version of the speed force. Marvel's universe, overall, doesn't lend itself to the ginormous power sets that DC gets away with.
    I remember in the JLA/Avengers crossover when Wally popped into the Marvel Universe and lost his speed because there was no Speed Force.

Otherwise he was running circles around Quicksilver.

Mark Waid did some great Flash work and he works for Marvel. Team him with a great artist and maybe he could make a good speedster for Marvel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Remember when Dr. Strange didn't need to swing an axe to do his job ?
    I 'memba. Marvel doesn't, but I do. But, I guess, 30 YO Hobo-Looking, Manchild-Acting, Poor-Excuse-of-a-Sorcerer-being Strange is more "interesting"...

DC is just OP in general. Even the human characters are OP.

That's like asking why are DC's spiders so terrible. Basically Marvel never had a solo breakout speedster character.