Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A Bendisverse emerging within the Marvel Universe?

Recently, Brian Michael Bendis has been on a crossover kick lately. Now of course this is nothing new with Marvel (being one of its main selling points and all) but what makes things interesting is that these subtle crossovers have been exclusively (at least to my knowledge) with characters Bendis has created / co-created personally, or at least has had a major influence on. One of the most predominant examples happens in Defenders #4 where Miles Morales/Spider-Man appeared in a scene that was in direct correlation with a scene in his own series in issue #17. More recently in, Spider-Man #20, Miles has now personally met the Japanese crime boss/Inhuman, Tomoe, aka "Techno Golem". This character made her debut in Bendis' recent Ironman run and has been a thorn in the side of both Tony Stark and Riri Williams since she can control various technology with her mind, making her a "Technopath" .

Is Miles' name going to be added onto that list?

From what I understand these "micro-crossovers" as I'm going to call them are getting some pretty positive feedback and some people are joking that this is the start of the "Bendisverse" in marvel comics where all his personally created characters overlap each other either through events or relations. But all joking aside, I actually find myself onboard with this idea if it keeps up with this kind of quality. What do you guys think? Do you think Bendis could pull off his own "verse" inside a "verse"? What other Marvel writers do you think should try this? And are there any previous examples of people trying this in the past with Marvel comics?

I vote that they kill this Bendisverse while it's young.

I see no problem with what he's doing. In fact, I love it. Seeing the Spiderman/Defenders 'crossover' was a realy cool moment.
    It helps that I like almost all of Bendis's books (GotG being a big exception), but I'd be all for more writers making little links between their titles.
    #EmmaWasRight

I think it's fairly practical for Bendis to do it because he writes so many books.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it's fairly practical for Bendis to do it because he writes so many books.
    That, so it's really easy for him to use the books he is writing with little editorial interference as to what is going on in the books that aren't under his pen. Not a fan of Bendis, so if he keeps to his own "Bendisverse" and never does another event again I would not complain.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 09-11-2017 at 01:54 PM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Claremont had Misty Knight and Jean Grey as roommates when he wrote both stories. Marvel is best when it has little tie-ins to show they're all part of the same universe and it's always been much easier to do this when you're writing all the stories. I wouldn't read too much into this as anything different.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Bendis is good when he writes his own characters without interacting with other artists' creations. The problem only comes when he takes already existing heroes and he makes them act out of character and ignores any continuity except his own...

So, I think it would be a good thing if he wrote his own little self-contained Bendisverse inside the greater Marvel Universe. He could write the stories he wants without pissing us all...

Niffleheim

I've been thinking a lot of picking up Defenders, Infamous and Invincible Iron Man but i keep changing my mind I'm already picking up Spider-Man but how would you rank Defenders, Infamous/Invincible Iron Man and Jessica Jones? (from most to least favourite book?
    Last edited by Tofali; 09-12-2017 at 03:02 AM.

BANNED

Wait, hang on...

This is Marvel Comics, and people are arguing that one writer should not create too many characters and have them interact? Really? At Marvel of all places?

It's a shared universe. Plus, it makes sense to see events from Defenders and Jessica Jones intersect with Spider-Man. Or Ironheart to affect what happens with Doom and vice-versa. Plus, we get to see some villains and their continuing story through each title (i.e. Tomoe & Hammerhead).

So Bendis is the only one in power at Marvel doing something right...

What is going on with this world

Because I mean that's how things should work. Hickman's Avengers run exceeded it at this too.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DeathGods View Post
    I've been thinking a lot of picking up Defenders, Infamous and Invincible Iron Man but i keep changing my mind I'm already picking up Spider-Man but how would you rank Defenders, Infamous/Invincible Iron Man and Jessica Jones? (from most to least favourite book?
    I just started reading Infamous on Unlimited and I liked it, but I was able to read six stories in an hour. If it took six months, I probably would like it much less. I'm enjoying Jessica Jones, but I'm also buying it because it won't be on Unlimited. If I had to pick one, that's the reason that would put it over the edge. Defenders might be worth it just for the beautiful art. The story's been a pretty good ride, but it's hard to get a sense of what it exactly is so far.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Writers and editorial used to bother with these stuff. They got Gage to write an issue of Avengers Arena because he handled Academy, he knew how to write the characters. Hickman's Avengers books were connected. Fraction's FF and F4 were sibling books. Uncanny Avengers was the flagship title that rest of the universe acknowledged.

Original Marvel Now was the best thing that happened to Marvel Comics in this decade.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    So Bendis is the only one in power at Marvel doing something right...

What is going on with this world

Because I mean that's how things should work. Hickman's Avengers run exceeded it at this too.
    Definitely not the only one. Just off the top of my head, I can think of instances where Nick Spencer, Jason Aaron, Jeff Lemire, Charles Soule, Dennis Hopeless and Al Ewing have done similar things in recent times.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Definitely not the only one. Just off the top of my head, I can think of instances where Nick Spencer, Jason Aaron, Jeff Lemire, Charles Soule, Dennis Hopeless and Al Ewing have done similar things in recent times.
    That's nice. I guess it's more in the face with Bendis since he's writing so many books.