Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fantastic Member Red Robe Jaldari's Avatar

Default Anyone feels like the darker post ROTJ Big Three adventures should have stopped?

I say after the Vong Invasion it should have stopped, we should have seen some more optimistic stories about them from that point forward. I really feel the EU betrayed the tone and premise of the whole big 3 era kicked off by the movies by pushing all the family drama and turmoil for these characters after the Vong Invasion. Anyone who feels this way but has a different cutoff point in the chronology for the grimdarkness?

Or has a disagreement about something else...
    Last edited by Red Robe Jaldari; 09-12-2017 at 09:08 AM.

Always found the vong to be a terrible idea for being honest.

Extraordinary Member

I agree. I really enjoyed the NJO, but what came afterwards what terrible. Legacy of the Force was backwards in thinking, mishandled in execution, culled the next generation thereby killing story potential, and of all things sought to retell the prequels. The EU was never going to recover from such a terrible story.

I think there could have been potential in a civil war where no one is the villain and Han and Luke choose different sides, but the potential lies in the moral ambiguity of the story and is utterly ruined by turning one of the main characters into a Sith. Seriously, whoever came up with the idea to turn Jacen Solo into a Sith lord should never be allowed to write again.

It honestly started during the Vong invasion, killing off Anakin when previous writers had spent several novels building him up was head scratchingly bizarre from what was supposed to be a tighter and more focused(aka with editors being more involved) EU. Never mind turning Jacen into an insufferable prick. And it just got worst. I wasn't all that sad to see the stuff get cut by Disney to be honest, it had gotten pretty irredeemable by that point
    Last edited by Hiromi; 09-13-2017 at 07:17 PM.

Technically, it has stopped-the sequel trilogy totally ignores the Vong stuff entirely. Although the characters don't exactly get 100% happy endings that way either....

I thought at first it was an interesting concept, a break from the bazillion Imperial remnant/Sith vs New Republic/Jedi stories (Which the EU sort of backslid into after NJO wrapped up), but I felt it sort of became sloppy after a while, and some of the Vong technology just didn't really seem "Star Wars" to me....
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Fantastic Member Red Robe Jaldari's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I agree. I really enjoyed the NJO, but what came afterwards what terrible. Legacy of the Force was backwards in thinking, mishandled in execution, culled the next generation thereby killing story potential, and of all things sought to retell the prequels. The EU was never going to recover from such a terrible story.
    It was on the road to recovery right before it was ended.

Legacy of the Force was terrible. At least two books ended in the exact same place. Jacen did something horrible, good guys said, "I can't believe he did that" and the bad guys got away.

After that was good and it still makes me mad they didn't finish the storyline. I was promised a Sith versus Sith war.

I think they milked the Vong story too long. Many hardcovers plus the straight to paperback. I think perhaps 4 or 5 of those could have been dropped.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

For all intents and purposes my interest in the EU ended after the Hand of Thrawn Duology. I only got a couple books into NJO and hated it, and I never went back. It only got worse from there so I'm glad I stopped when I did.

Its why I didn't care when the sequel trilogy moved it all out of canon. By the time that happened the entire original EU structure had collapsed on itself anyway.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-12-2017 at 06:05 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Red Robe Jaldari View Post
    It was on the road to recovery right before it was ended.
    Not sure about that. I found Fate of the Jedi to be the worst thing in the franchise to date. I agree with a lot of other users here; NJO is where things started going south and it only got worse, to the point that I was okay with a new movie series erasing the post ROTJ-timeline clean for something new.

In regards to the OP, yes, I think the series should've passed the baton from the original character to the new generation, exactly what TFA did, ironically enough.

Even if it did start improving the damage was done, one of the biggest complaints about the EU is that it was always the OT club, Luke, Han, Chewie and Leia. Sometimes Lando. The four biggest original EU characters were Mara Jade(who was also by far the most popular), the Solo twins, and Anakin Solo, and they killed off three out of four of them, meanwhile the only OT character who got axed was the most replaceable in Chewie