Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Numerous posts have been deleted. One observation: if you link a video you need to include your thoughts on it as well. Otherwise the conclusion is that you endorse all of it
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

This IDW quarterly report is relevant:

IDW reported its decreased overall income:

Income from operations decreased by ($2,321,000) for the three months ended July 31, 2017 compared to the three months ended July 31, 2016 due to several factors. Decreases in operating income from IDW, IDW Entertainment and CTM in the amounts of ($1,467,000), ($187,000) and ($667,000), respectively, due to lower gross profit in all three segments, totaling ($1,185,000), more fully described below, and an increase in selling, general and administrative expenses of ($1,220,000), principally due to an increase in non-cash stock compensation across segments of ($674,000), among other net changes.

So what caused the drop? Well, in the publishing area, IDW explained:

Publishing revenue decreased by ($751,000), principally due to industry cyclical downward pressure driven by market leaders, as well as the timing of significant major brand titles that are expected in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2017.

Increased cyclical downward pressure driven by market leaders, of course, refers to Marvel tanking in sales this year, which has a cascading effect on everyone else. But that wasn’t all. IDW showed a decrease across the board, though it is hoping things will pick up for the rest of the year
    Source

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    This IDW quarterly report is relevant...
    That's not the IDW quarterly report.
    That's Bleeding Cool's frequent Marvel basher, Jude Terror's interpretation of the IDW quarterly report. "Brand leaders" could also include DC, Image, Dark Horse and others as well.

For example, here's a piece where retailer Brian Hibbs (who frequently breaks down the numbers and offers his take on the market) calls Jude Terror's past interpretations into question:
    http://www.comicsbeat.com/tilting-at...out-nighthawk/

Just to put it in perspective.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    That's not the IDW quarterly report.
    That's Bleeding Cool's frequent Marvel basher, Jude Terror's interpretation of the IDW quarterly report. "Brand leaders" could also include DC, Image, Dark Horse and others as well.

For example, here's a piece where retailer Brian Hibbs (who frequently breaks down the numbers and offers his take on the market) calls Jude Terror's past interpretations into question:
    http://www.comicsbeat.com/tilting-at...out-nighthawk/

Just to put it in perspective.
    Probably should have posted the official thing I guess, and let people make their own minds up.

I'm a sucker for trashy clickbait juice.

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ijacksparrow View Post
    I mean, Dan shouldn't have to fight an argument with Bendis over NOT killing Spider-Man - AGAIN - I'm truly tired of how Bendis tries time and time again to make Miles Morales THE Spider-Man in the main universe. Peter Parker is Spider-Man. Period. The End. Not up for discussion.
    Christ....I hope that never happens. Make no mistake that I read Spider-Man, and although I don't mind Miles, it's not the same. In any case, hopefully this slump will disappear. In the meantime I continue to happily enjoy Amazing.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steeplejack2112 View Post
    Christ....I hope that never happens. Make no mistake that I read Spider-Man, and although I don't mind Miles, it's not the same. In any case, hopefully this slump will disappear. In the meantime I continue to happily enjoy Amazing.
    I mean, that hasn't actually happened so...
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Yes....so it would seem. Awesome.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I agree with this.

With that said, it's about time for Marvel to address issues with the Spider-Man line. Because there are issues with the Spider-Man line, literally none related to Dan Slott or how he approaches and supports the creation of new characters and Spider-Man related comics that exist right now.

I'd argue that first, Amazing Spider-Man is still their best selling title of Marvel Comics because of Dan Slott. With that said, Dan is easily their most underrated comic book writer because despite giving Marvel their best selling title and being the writer that many consider one of the best Spider-Man writers of all time, he still is treated very poorly when it comes to creative summits. I mean, Dan shouldn't have to fight an argument with Bendis over NOT killing Spider-Man - AGAIN - like it was openly publicized last year in New Yorlk Daily News. I'm truly tired of how Bendis tries time and time again to make Miles Morales THE Spider-Man in the main universe. Peter Parker is Spider-Man. Period. The End. Not up for discussion. I don't think the Worldwide Parker Industries saga had the opportunity to actually run its course and it felt rushed and not earned and I don't blame Slott for that. I blame Marvel's editorial for allowing Bendis to keep Miles as "the" Spider-Man in New York while Peter went global.

This leads to my second point, I love Jason Aaron and Mark Waid. Truly love both writers and I think Aaron is doing amazing work with Thor for years now. With that said, I can easily imagine a scenario that would help both Amazing Spider-Man selling more comics and also The Avengers: I wish that Dan Slott was the guy writing the "All-New, All-Different Avengers", and that would coincide with Parker Industries rising to the top and Peter funding The Avengers through that period. Sam Wilson Cap would still be the leader, but I'd like to see Dan getting to write the core flagship book of Marvel and actually make it mean something, both in universe and as a bigger selling point for Marvel readers overall. Slott is talented and has proven time and time again how good he can be with big arcs like Spider-Verse, and I wish he would be allowed to go crazy and make history with The Avengers like Hickman did. It'd make him the architect of the flagship books and that would obviously be better than what we've been getting from the Avengers books since Hickman's Secret Wars. Can you imagine a Dan Slott and Stuart Immonen Avengers comic with Spidey, Sam Cap, Vision, Torch, Mockinbird, Thor and maybe She-Hulk? Because I can and I bet it'd be glorious.

Which reminds me what might be the biggest issue: TOO MANY CHARACTERS CALLING THEMSELVES SPIDER-MAN RUNNING AROUND. When it comes to DC, only Batman is Batman. I'm honestly sick of Marvel Comics trying to keep Miles Morales using Spider-Man's name. I'm sick of Bendis trying to make Morales into Spider-Men and leeching on Spider-Man's mythos. And judging by the Spider-Men II (Ugh) sales, I'm not alone on that. There are way too many Spider-Man related characters running around in the main universe, and I do think that is doing harm to Spider-Man's brand in the long run, just like I agree with Marvel that keeping him married was damaging him in the long run and things got better after that was unmade - and no pro-marriage Spider-Man, they are never bringing the marriage again other than in renew your vows, so make sure of not letting that book get cancelled. The solution for too many Spider-Man like characters running around in my opinion would be first, give Miles Morales his own alter ego, it's downright dumb at this point; make like Detective Comics and bring Amazing Fantasy back and give that book a talented writer (Robbie Thompson comes to mind) and make a covert "team book" out of that, with Miles Morales, Silk and maybe even Superior Ock, Spider-Gwen and Scarlet Spider too.

And last but not last important, don't make stupid decisions. Like Mister Mets put on other thread the other day about what to do if Marvel wanted to make Spider-Man sales get worse:

When I read this, the first thing that came to my mind was the rumor that Nick Spencer is replacing Dan Slott after Amazing Spider-Man #800. We all know that Secret Empire / Captain America is easily the most hated Marvel Comics storyline of all time. Regardless how much you enjoy or not the writing of the guy, from a business standpoint a decision like that is completely unjustified, since Spencer isn't really known for his books high sales, actually quite the contrary. The reactions on social media about a possible Nick Spencer take over are tepid to put it mildly.

I think Dan Slott's deadlines for Amazing Spider-Man looks gruelling, and I do think he needs to rest a bit, but I don't want him leaving the book anytime soon. If that's unavoidable, either get Christos Gage to fill in or get Joe Kelly to write Amazing Spider-Man. That's the only possible name that I'd be happy seeing writing the comic other than Dan Slott, but I literally don't want him to stop and if Nick Spencer takes over, I'll be done buying Marvel Comics until that changes.
    Wow, this is a really good post, dude. I'd say I agree with pretty much all of it.

BANNED

idk. Dan treated it more as a brainstorm that would be squashed without much ado as according to him they play a Russian roulette in these sessions. Got to say that they did end up with a godfather 3 as the arc is pretty forgettable. Miles killing hydra cap was one of the most random thing pulled out of thin air. Anything they did couldn't salvage the story.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    It didn't happen because Slott had to fight his way through a stupid summit that decided to kill Hulk instead. Bendis shock value deaths have become a joke more than ten years ago, how he is even allowed to pitch this stuff is beyond me. Professor Thorgi is one of the biggest advocates for Marvel legacy characters out there, and even he agrees that for example, Tony Stark's "death" in Civil War II was poorly handled and made just to create room for a character that didn't feel like earned to become Iron Man to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    idk. Dan treated it more as a brainstorm that would be squashed without much ado as according to him they play a Russian roulette in these sessions. Got to say that they did end up with a godfather 3 as the arc is pretty forgettable. Miles killing hydra cap was one of the most random thing pulled out of thin air. Anything they did couldn't salvage the story.
    Whatever limelight that Bendis tries to put Morales is to make his stories "matter" in the main universe, always to awful results. It's time for Miles Morales to be able to grow and become his own character. He isn't Spider-Man, he will never be Spider-Man. Spider-Man is Peter Parker just like Batman is Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent is Superman. If you want to cast a black actor to play Peter, go nuts with it. If you want to reboot the Marvel Comics universe and make Peter black, once again, go nuts with it. But Spider-Man is Peter Parker. The sooner Marvel Comics establish a mandate that make that very clear, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Wow, this is a really good post, dude. I'd say I agree with pretty much all of it.
    Yeah it's going on for far too long. Just like Morales, I'm a mixed race man. But I never had a single problem identifying myself with Peter. I think Miles Morales has great potential, as long as he is allowed to become his own character. As long as he is stuck in Spider-Man's shadow, he won't be allowed to grow.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

It didn't happen because Slott had to fight his way through a stupid summit that decided to kill Hulk instead. Bendis shock value deaths have become a joke more than ten years ago, how he is even allowed to pitch this stuff is beyond me. Professor Thorgi is one of the biggest advocates for Marvel legacy characters out there, and even he agrees that for example, Tony Stark's "death" in Civil War II was poorly handled and made just to create room for a character that didn't feel like earned to become Iron Man to begin with.

Whatever limelight that Bendis tries to put Morales is to make his stories "matter" in the main universe, always to awful results. It's time for Miles Morales to be able to grow and become his own character. He isn't Spider-Man, he will never be Spider-Man. Spider-Man is Peter Parker just like Batman is Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent is Superman. If you want to cast a black actor to play Peter, go nuts with it. If you want to reboot the Marvel Comics universe and make Peter black, once again, go nuts with it. But Spider-Man is Peter Parker. The sooner Marvel Comics establish a mandate that make that very clear, the better.

Yeah it's going on for far too long. Just like Morales, I'm a mixed race man. But I never had a single problem identifying myself with Peter. I think Miles Morales has great potential, as long as he is allowed to become his own character. As long as he is stuck in Spider-Man's shadow, he won't be allowed to grow.
    Who do you think Miles should become instead of a second "Spider-Man?"

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Who do you think Miles should become instead of a second "Spider-Man?"
    Spidey, Wallcrawler, Araña. Whatever name that isn't actually Spider-Man. He isn't Spider-Man and never will be Spider-Man, regardless what Bendis says. I don't even think his animation film will actually be called Spider-Man, by the way.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

Spidey, Wallcrawler, Araña. Whatever name that isn't actually Spider-Man. He isn't Spider-Man and never will be Spider-Man, regardless what Bendis says. I don't even think his animation film will actually be called Spider-Man, by the way.
    The animated Miles Morales movie is going to use "Spider-Man" in its title in some way. Whether it will be called Ultimate Spider-Man or Spectacular Spider-Man or Spider-Man: The Adventures of Miles Morales. Or what have you.

If it doesn't, Sony might as well pack it in because they don't know how to cash in on branding.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    If I had to go up against Batman, I wouldn't want to talk about it either.
    Congrats, you won the thread. Can I get your autograph?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The animated Miles Morales movie is going to use "Spider-Man" in its title in some way. Whether it will be called Ultimate Spider-Man or Spectacular Spider-Man or Spider-Man: The Adventures of Miles Morales. Or what have you.

If it doesn't, Sony might as well pack it in because they don't know how to cash in on branding.

Actually, if Sony comes up with a own name for Miles, they know more about protecting Spider-Man's brand than Marvel Comics itself. I think that the fact that up to this point that film doesn't have a name yet is quite telling that there are discussions about getting Morales his own alter ego so it wouldn't confuse audiences on who the character is:

Pull list: