Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41
  1. #16
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,084

    Default

    Yeah, Oliver Queen and Damien Wayne were the team-up pairing I never knew I wanted, but now realize I desperately needed. I thought it was a pretty fun issue, but I'm also reading Teen Titans, Nightwing, and Green Arrow, so I figure I might as well just read all of this tie-in.

    The Art was great too. This wasn't the regular artist, right?

  2. #17
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Yeah, Oliver Queen and Damien Wayne were the team-up pairing I never knew I wanted, but now realize I desperately needed. I thought it was a pretty fun issue, but I'm also reading Teen Titans, Nightwing, and Green Arrow, so I figure I might as well just read all of this tie-in.

    The Art was great too. This wasn't the regular artist, right?
    I know this is the set-up issue and there's more to come, but man, there couldn't be a better combo than Nightwing and Green Arrow to finally explain to Damian just what the whole "Robin" persona sort of represents, right? I mean the Robin Hood references are so intrinsic but it's not a thing Damian has ever come to really embrace - he just considers it this mantle in the "heir of Batman" dogma.

    I liked what they did with Riddler here, and I like the Batman Who Laughs's power-set. It doesn't feel permanent, or even like a big step in the Riddler's career or anything - just like every other "Villain Gauntlet" that's ever been thrown at us, particularly during an event, but I really dug Damian's drive to get through the puzzle, the similarities to the Riddle-God stuff from Batman 1000000, and the nature of the magical nightmare dream versions of things coming through from the Dark Multiverse. Perhaps, considering Riddler's importance to the original Barbatos storyline, this wasn't quite enough, but I at least felt his inclusion was warranted and worthwhile, even with some fun actual Riddles. "N" being the answer is weird because it kind of points to Nth Metal maybe.

    Obviously this issue is also set-up for the inevitable (FINALLY) meeting of Damian and Emiko, too. So there's very much that to be excited for.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

  3. #18
    Astonishing Member CPSparkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3,871

    Default

    What a fun issue shame we didn't see much of the titans but honestly I don't buy this book for them [well aside from Aqualad] Damian and Ollie were an awesome and funny team wasn't really feeling Harley and can't wait for Nightwing, Babs and Dinah to join the mix.

    The art was superb wish they could keep this artist.
    Beast Boy give it a rest already you're starting to get on my nerves and this is just bullying. If you have a problem be an adult and talk face to face.

  4. #19
    Astonishing Member CPSparkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    3,871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Yeah, Oliver Queen and Damien Wayne were the team-up pairing I never knew I wanted, but now realize I desperately needed. I thought it was a pretty fun issue, but I'm also reading Teen Titans, Nightwing, and Green Arrow, so I figure I might as well just read all of this tie-in.

    The Art was great too. This wasn't the regular artist, right?
    No it wasn't.

  5. #20
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,084

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    No it wasn't.
    Well, it should be. The art was very lovely.

  6. #21
    Extraordinary Member dietrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    7,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Well, it should be. The art was very lovely.
    IKR I wish the book could keep this artist

  7. #22
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    Beast Boy canīt change.. Damian, Damian... enough.. You only talk about him..
    As frustrating a person as Damian is, it's more surprising that the others are more willing to take Damian's side. Especially Jackson, even consider what he said, since before that point, Damian was on his case so bad that it kinda made Jackson look a little doormat-ish to take it all (even if it did have the side effect of making Jackson come off as a saint in turn). Really, it's more surprising that Beast Boy was the only one who's frustrated.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Beast Boy really is the most loathsome odious worm in this book. Why are they all so spineless that's the thing about these characterisations that pisses me off the most.

    Now they're just being a bunch of mean girls right now. Get it together, handle your s**t or stop bitching.
    Wait what?

    I'm confused with regards to your tone and what you're taking issue with.

    The only one complaining was Garfield; everybody else was rationalizing Damian being Damian, like they generally do (except when they're really fed up). Furthermore, it makes sense that Garfield is angry/frustrated about being led around like they were.

    Then you also mention that they're spineless. Once again, Garfield actually voiced his disdain, even if the others apologized for the source of it.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 09-14-2017 at 03:49 PM.

  8. #23
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Yeah, Oliver Queen and Damien Wayne were the team-up pairing I never knew I wanted, but now realize I desperately needed. I thought it was a pretty fun issue, but I'm also reading Teen Titans, Nightwing, and Green Arrow, so I figure I might as well just read all of this tie-in.

    The Art was great too. This wasn't the regular artist, right?
    Ollie and Damian together was pretty cool, even if Ollie taking Damian's mouth with little protest became irksome when it happened (that "never speak for me again" bit kinda got on my nerves). I like how Oliver countered Damian at one point with being careful to avoid fervent blind devotion, which, for once in the issue, was the last word between the two. You could see Damian actually letting that sink for a few seconds.

  9. #24
    Astonishing Member Fergus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    2,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Ollie and Damian together was pretty cool, even if Ollie taking Damian's mouth with little protest became irksome when it happened (that "never speak for me again" bit kinda got on my nerves). I like how Oliver countered Damian at one point with being careful to avoid fervent blind devotion, which, for once in the issue, was the last word between the two. You could see Damian actually letting that sink for a few seconds.
    I actually don't think Ollie had any reason to snip at Damian and i am disappointed that Percy Mellowed Damian down here.

  10. #25
    Astonishing Member Fergus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    2,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    As frustrating a person as Damian is, it's more surprising that the others are more willing to take Damian's side. Especially Jackson, even consider what he said, since before that point, Damian was on his case so bad that it kinda made Jackson look a little doormat-ish to take it all (even if it did have the side effect of making Jackson come off as a saint in turn). Really, it's more surprising that Beast Boy was the only one who's frustrated.



    Wait what?

    I'm confused with regards to your tone and what you're taking issue with.

    The only one complaining was Garfield; everybody else was rationalizing Damian being Damian, like they generally do (except when they're really fed up). Furthermore, it makes sense that Garfield is angry/frustrated about being led around like they were.

    Then you also mention that they're spineless. Once again, Garfield actually voiced his disdain, even if the others apologized for the source of it.
    At this point they should have sat down and had a team meeting. Garfield is being a spineless bully aside from snide remarks, splashing Damian with water and trying to poison everyone's mind how else has he tried to handle the situation.
    He is driving a wedge between the group. This is not how you handle a situation like this.

  11. #26

    Default

    I was pretty hyped for this issue, but the execution left me cold, Ollie and Damien were excellent but they really didn't get Harley's character right, I know she's meant to be insane but some things about her need to be a little consistent between books. Overall Metal looks very interesting.

  12. #27
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    At this point they should have sat down and had a team meeting. Garfield is being a spineless bully aside from snide remarks, splashing Damian with water and trying to poison everyone's mind how else has he tried to handle the situation.
    He is driving a wedge between the group. This is not how you handle a situation like this.
    A team meeting would be nice, but we would need appropriate down time for that.


    I... What? Honestly, now I am truly confused.

    Garfield isn't a spineless bully. He's not spineless and he definitely isn't a bully. Bully-wise, if anything, Damian is usually the one bullying others in his aggressive way of dealing with people. And poisoning everyone's mind? That's is a very over the top thing to say. Implications of words like that are very serious. I do not think it wise to bandy such words around so easily.

    Garfield is simply the only one who voices and shows his disdain for Damian and how he operates. He got off on the wrong foot due entirely to Damian, and never truly got on the right one, no real thanks to Damian, either. Reading anything else, let alone such a reversed and non-existent perspective, is alarming in its inaccuracy.

    I really, truly cannot believe that this is an interpretation that's being entertained.


    He's not driving a wedge between the group, either, because the other members are more willing to excuse, and in some cases outright apologize for, Damian being Damian. Once again, that the others are so complacent about Damian is something that would raise more eyebrows, if anything had to in the first place.

  13. #28
    Astonishing Member Fergus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    2,450

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    A team meeting would be nice, but we would need appropriate down time for that.


    I... What? Honestly, now I am truly confused.

    Garfield isn't a spineless bully. He's not spineless and he definitely isn't a bully. Bully-wise, if anything, Damian is usually the one bullying others in his aggressive way of dealing with people. And poisoning everyone's mind? That's is a very over the top thing to say. Implications of words like that are very serious. I do not think it wise to bandy such words around so easily.

    Garfield is simply the only one who voices and shows his disdain for Damian and how he operates. He got off on the wrong foot due entirely to Damian, and never truly got on the right one, no real thanks to Damian, either. Reading anything else, let alone such a reversed and non-existent perspective, is alarming in its inaccuracy.

    I really, truly cannot believe that this is an interpretation that's being entertained.


    He's not driving a wedge between the group, either, because the other members are more willing to excuse, and in some cases outright apologize for, Damian being Damian. Once again, that the others are so complacent about Damian is something that would raise more eyebrows, if anything had to in the first place.
    Some people are polite others are closed off. Damian is abrasive that's who he is and that's never going to change.
    The others are not being complacent. Kori back in issue 2 gave that speech that showed she understood Damian perfectly. Raven has also shown to be more insightful and able to read Damian.
    BB is trying very hard to poison the team members minds but they're resisting. The very fact that they keep making counter arguments prove that aren't on the same page.

    BB needs to leave the team. He doesn't like Damian that's fine go join a different team don't try to turn other that's a sleazy move.

    He is being a bully and a childish spineless one at that if he wasn't then all these little chats would be face to face and with Damian. If you have an issue with a team mate address it head on don't go behind their back repeatedly.
    Don't try to convince others that repeatedly while they offer counter arguments and defend him.

  14. #29
    Astonishing Member Fergus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    2,450

    Default

    BB is driving a wedge in the team all the tension is be cause of him everyone else is fine. Kori is mature and experienced enough to call for change if she believes it necessary so is Raven they don't need Beast boy to guide them and tell them how to feel or to tell them that they've had enough.

    He's had enough and now he's trying to force everyone that's manipulative and belittling.

  15. #30
    Stuck in Limbo again Red obin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,044

    Default

    I have a lot to say

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So I guess the Batman Who Laughs gives certain Rogues (Ivy, Freeze, Hatter, Bane, and Riddler) his Metal cards that gives them a power boost to take over the city, hence the need for the Gotham Resistance.
    I like the premise, but I'm confused since there are five villains for four issues as well as the batman who laughs(will he be taken down in this or elsewhere, I don't know) Mr Freeze is with nightwing and Ivy with SS, so bane and hatter team up?

    Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Percy delivered with TT. Damian was smart and handled business like a pro. I really really hate Percy's BB the guy is so off putting I want him off that team.
    Good to see Jackson and Raven standing up for Damian even as Gar desperately tries to poison their minds Starfire is just window dressing at this point.

    Jackson and Damian are the only members holding my interest at the moment. Shame Jackson is so new he is the only one aside from Damian who has shown any leadership potential.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    Beast Boy really is the most loathsome odious worm in this book. Why are they all so spineless that's the thing about these characterisations that pisses me off the most.

    Now they're just being a bunch of mean girls right now. Get it together, handle your s**t or stop bitching.


    This batman is my favourite of all the bad batmen being looking forward to this for a while.
    The story looks insane.
    Firstly, Damian wasn't a pro, he was smart but he made brash decisions on impulse out of scenario and emotions. This is a good thing though as it shows character growth.

    Gar isn't loathsome or odious but he might be a worm.
    He is not bitc*ing he's just being blunt. I don't like the characterisation either(but for different reasons). Damian has treated all the titans badly and that is evident, of course he has a might be upset. He could be less harsh but it is fair.
    Also I don't see the Titan's reactions standing up for him as though he is bullying damian as it is in fact visa versa. They seem to be more looking for the positives in a bad situation, hell even Raven says he is bullying them.

    I am more annoyed that Percy's characters go in circles as boring archetypes. I don't mind Gar being resentful to Damian, but I don't need it every issue like it has been recently. This has been Percy's thing recently like he is recapping. It shocks me this is the same guy that has been writing green arrow. For example his characters have been
    Jackson: The rookie
    Starfire: Wondering/ discussing leadership
    Gar: complaining about Damian.
    Raven: Being Wally's GF.
    Damian: being harsh and regressing as a character from previous stories.

    I can tell dietrich that you are a damian fan as evident in the profile pic but that doesn't mean he is impervious to insult and wrongdoing. If anything as a damian fan you should disagree with this interpretation of damain as it seems odd... he is not the developed character as shown in late Morrison batman inc or Tomasi and gleason Batman and Robin/ Robin SOB. Yet he is also not early morrison brat damian as seen in books like worl's finest and batgirl.

    Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    A team meeting would be nice, but we would need appropriate down time for that.


    I... What? Honestly, now I am truly confused.

    Garfield isn't a spineless bully. He's not spineless and he definitely isn't a bully. Bully-wise, if anything, Damian is usually the one bullying others in his aggressive way of dealing with people. And poisoning everyone's mind? That's is a very over the top thing to say. Implications of words like that are very serious. I do not think it wise to bandy such words around so easily.

    Garfield is simply the only one who voices and shows his disdain for Damian and how he operates. He got off on the wrong foot due entirely to Damian, and never truly got on the right one, no real thanks to Damian, either. Reading anything else, let alone such a reversed and non-existent perspective, is alarming in its inaccuracy.

    I really, truly cannot believe that this is an interpretation that's being entertained.


    He's not driving a wedge between the group, either, because the other members are more willing to excuse, and in some cases outright apologize for, Damian being Damian. Once again, that the others are so complacent about Damian is something that would raise more eyebrows, if anything had to in the first place.
    Thank you for helping to explain this.

    overall though i liked the issue. The art was lovely and I wish he was drawing part 1 of the upcoming Superman/super sons/ TT crossover instead of the dark and gritty Manhke as he works well and would go well with Jimenez. I liked all the characterisation in the latter half of the issue and the riddle was nice. Nightwing reveal was hilarious. I know riddler's appearance was meant to be symbolic of the new powers and fits as the others are also getting temporary redesigns but they could have thought of something better than goth riddler. Same goes for goth punk dark multiverse edgy emo damian.

    Harley's individual fishnet was weird and made me think- are batgirl and Black canary still in this crossover?

    Here is SS's cover for #26, featuring redesign of ivy- Did they not get the memo she's gone good in BoP.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "You can't be everywhere, you can't do it all"
    "I'm not Batman, I have friends."
    "But listen, call yourself Bat-Chick, Knightbat, or Black Robin- the point is, don't forget- you have a family."
    "You don't need me. This is a job for.........Alfred!" -Tim Drake

    "Dear Diary, I know what my next science project is going to be called: "My love/hate relationship with Gravity........And it was only then that young Stephanie truly realized gravity would forever be her enemy. "-Stephanie Brown

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •