Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I enjoy BLUE a lot I just wish it decompressed a bit it feels a bit rushed like I want to know what is going on "between" issues somewhat

GOLD is a pile of garbage and I feel bad for Guggenheim but it's just a self parody really

You did not bring this up OP but GEN X is rockin' and awesome
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Gold is, quite frankly, a boring nostalgia wank, and it was apparent from the series announcement. I can't say it's bad, per se, but I can't say it's good, either. It's like eating lettuce: yeah, you're eating something that will technically sustain you, but it has no flavor or personality of its own.

Blue is better, but it's still hamstrung by having the 05 around. Their story potential was burned out even before Battle of the Atom hit, and everything since has been pretty painful, especially Hopeless's All-New X-Men and it's virulent, nonsensical (adult) Cyclops hate. Bunn's Magneto is always good, but that's basically all it has going for it.

And the art for both, outside of Ken Lashley, is piss-poor.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Glad you're enjoying both books OP.

I'm liking blue a lot.

To the people who frequently say "get rid of the 05", why not say "do another x - book with characters I prefer."? That way you can have a book you enjoy while people who enjoy blue can still read that.

Ill never understand why anyone would wish something away that others are enjoying. The 05 don't have to be gotten rid of in order for another book to be written that you might enjoy. Blue has been self contained so far so it's easily skippable (that changes with the upcoming crossover but thus far at least).
    What? (Bolded). I'm confused how it's not an x title.

If marvel would give us more choices I'd be fine with Blue staying in publication....but if we're limited to two options for flagship....dumb the teams. Blue reads like eXiles not XMEN. Bunn was handed the O5 and told to write them...he didn't like that and so he's bringing in alt. reality versions of characters he wanted to work with on the book. It's a mess.

I like Gold. It's nothing special but it's a simple, easy read. It's fine.

Blue is disappointing. I loved Uncanny last year but this has none of the edge and I just cannot care about the time displaced O5.

Quote Originally Posted by Bontchimuz View Post
    Seriously team?

Been reading Xbooks for 30 years and enjoying both these books.
    Yes, seriously. I've been reading since the 80's as well. I can't speak for Blue, but I removed Gold from my pull list. It's simply terrible. Guggenheim is doing a terrible job with this book. It's boring, inconsistent, and it reads like it's been written down. Not a fan of it at all.

X-Men Gold never really held my interest but I wouldn't say I want it cancelled. I never understood people wanting a book they don't read cancelled. But I really liked X-Men Blue in the beginning. Unfortunately for me my enjoyement has been progressively hindered by too much Jimmy, not enough Bobby and the threat of that disgusting triangle on the horizon. It's still a pretty good book in comparison to others though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Here are my thoughts

For gold swap in magik and Daken and ice man for colossus, old man, and kitty,and less nostalgia pandering.

For blue get rid of the o5 jimmy and blood storm, make it new X-Men volume 3 lead by laura and written by kyle/yost and have bunn write a magneto lead a X-force that includes sage and maverick.
    Love the idea for Gold. I'd like that New X-Men but I still have hopes for Blue.

BANNED

I enjoyed this week's blue triangle of Scott/Jean/Pickles.

Gold and Blue brought a new breath to the X-mens after years on the shadow of extinction. In that sense it is a great advance but as many have already said nostalgia is what drives the stories and would say that both have had good and bad times alternating like on a roller coaster.

Gold has simple stories without major twists or subplots only the X-men being heroes again and fighting against classic enemies usually lasting two issues before moving on to next making it easy to follow and have a classic team.The bad part is that the writer can not develop the characters or a central plot that connects everything. Everything seems to spin around Kitty and Colossus leaving the others aside.

Blue on the other hand has had a better development in the stories and seems to have a final goal involving Magneto and the original 5. But it has too many subplots, characters from different realities joining the team or the plot that is made up of X-mens that came from another line of the time which makes everything kind of confusing and difficult to board if you have not read the previous issues before Bunn. Some readers do not care and even like this range of possibilities but others just like to have the adult versions back which ends up separating the readers.

They've both become rather dull for me. The books I'm enjoying the most are Iceman, Generation X and All-New Wolverine. The former 2 are developing existing characters in new and interesting ways and the latter has been good from the get-go. Though it's still early, I've been enjoying Astonishing so far as well.

I dislike Gold for the reasons already mentioned throughout the thread. It feels very unoriginal and I couldn't be less interested in this team dynamic, been there, done that. Everything has felt very predictable.

If you don't like the O5 concept, you're not going to like Blue regardless of whether it's well written or not. I personally have enjoyed the O5 and enjoyed both Bendis' and Hopeless' takes on the team. There's always been a lot of raw storytelling potential there with the O5 concept and it's been done fairly well. Loved Cyclops' solo, enjoying Jean Grey's journey, loved Bobby discovering himself in Hopeless' run, and am interested in Beast's current trajectory towards mysticism. However Blue has felt rushed and clutterly handled despite having a strong start. Bunn is clearly not going to be doing anything with Bobby and Warren. Jimmy was completely unnecessary and I have zero interest in reading about him and a love triangle with him, Jean and Scott is stupid. The whole point of the O5 is so they don't retread their old storylines. There's also hardly been a lot of character moments, it's felt like one disaster after another with no downtime. The book still has potential but my interest is dwindling.
    "It's not about adding diversity for the sake of diversity, it's about subtracting homogeneity for the sake of realism."
    -Mary Robinette Kowal

Ultimate Member

Perhaps Bunn is using so many alternate reality people so that he can pretty much write whatever he wants without stepping on anyone's toes, or continuity...though I'm not a fan of the young O5, and am beginning to wonder how long it'll be before Magneto is evil again...when that happens I hope that he doesn't drag Lorna along with him...

Astonishing Member

don't like Gold at all, not on my pull list. Blue wasn't either at first but an arc with Havok and Polaris, and now an arc with Maddy Pryor has my attention. As long as those 3 characters are involved with the title I will hang around when they are seemingly gone for the forseeable future I will probably drop it. I like Astonishing X-Men a lot, I am meh on Weapon X.

BANNED

If you don't like the O5 concept, you're not going to like Blue regardless of whether it's well written or not.
    Disagree. I don't like the concept (mainly because I feel the adults will stay away w them around) but I've been enjoying BLUE a lot. Only because I enjoy Bunn's writing.

I'd still send them back in an instant if it meant we get adult Jean, adult Cyclops, and Logan back.

GOLD is just a mess. Guggenheim is not a good writer. He's way too limited and the blinders he has on are making him worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Calaigah View Post
    Disagree. I don't like the concept (mainly because I feel the adults will stay away w them around) but I've been enjoying BLUE a lot. Only because I enjoy Bunn's writing.

I'd still send them back in an instant if it meant we get adult Jean, adult Cyclops, and Logan back.

GOLD is just a mess. Guggenheim is not a good writer. He's way too limited and the blinders he has on are making him worse.
    That's fair!
    "It's not about adding diversity for the sake of diversity, it's about subtracting homogeneity for the sake of realism."
    -Mary Robinette Kowal

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Blue is nice so far. Though I'm not really thrilled Bloodstorm will join. Rather saw Laura join and Surge and Hellion. The would be a nice mix. The stories so far are enjoyable.

Gold is nice too, but as everybody would Luke to replace some members with their own favourites.

I guess that will always be with any X-Men team. Us cabs always want a team with only their own favourites.. ...
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

What? (Bolded). I'm confused how it's not an x title.
    It reads like Exiles, simple as that. An X-Men title should have actual X-Men in it, not a bunch of alt reality characters in it. When they were in All New at least we had other options for our x-men fix, but now it's been turned into a flagship title. I like Bunn, but I seriously feel like he doesn't really have fun writing the teen O5, Blue has none of the edge that Uncanny had.