Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default thoughts on X-men blue and X-men Gold

The X-books are always my Fav marvel books.the X-men blue and Gold feels like a throwback to the 90s and thats saying sometine. im loving them and looking forward to the crossover starting with Legacy
    Sorry wrong forum my bad

I hope they'll both be canceled.

Bring back Bunn's Uncanny X-Men and stop subjecting him to O5 torture and editorially-forced Emma hate.

Throw away Kitty Pryde, X-Men Gold, AND Guggenheim. They're all crappy.

I find Gold boring nostalgia-wank with no real point beyond "HEY GUYS DO YOU REMEMBER OLD X-MEN COMICS well look we're referencing those comics without actually understanding what made them popular because we have nothing original of our own to say." The book's sole and exclusive purpose is to feed on nostalgia, and that ****'s boring.

Blue is better, but holy crap does Bunn ever need to cool it with creating sub-plots. How about having an actual plot?

Astonishing Member

Here are my thoughts

For gold swap in magik and Daken and ice man for colossus, old man, and kitty,and less nostalgia pandering.

For blue get rid of the o5 jimmy and blood storm, make it new X-Men volume 3 lead by laura and written by kyle/yost and have bunn write a magneto lead a X-force that includes sage and maverick.

Both bore me.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldscottsummers View Post

Me too. They're both badly written and the art is awful for being "top tier" books.

I understand that fans are disenchanted with the 05 but like thew writer or X-men Blue.

Guggenheim at best has always been average X-writer, his first arc was okay. It wasn't spectacular but it wasn't Young X-men....Young X-men the reason I think why he is taking no risks with X-men Gold. From what I can infer from other fans he is turning Kitty into Wesley Crusher. This is confusing as "The Wesley" is on tv tropes and should be easy to avoid writing such a character.

1) Don't have all other character say how awesome or how impressed they are with said character.
    2) Occasionally take the piss out of said character.

Hell an aggressive lancer can serve to challenge Kitty's leadership, and make sure that challenger not only has legitimate points, but not simply be a straw man or woman for kitty to knock down.

A lot of fans thought Hellion and Surge were horrible people, but Kyle and Yost used each character abrasive personality traits to make them sympathetic. Surge was leader of the New X-men she also destroyed her loving relationship with Prodigy out of a misguided poorly thought out attempt to protect him.

Quote Originally Posted by Likewater View Post
    I understand that fans are disenchanted with the 05 but like thew writer or X-men Blue.

Guggenheim at best has always been average X-writer, his first arc was okay. It wasn't spectacular but it wasn't Young X-men....Young X-men the reason I think why he is taking no risks with X-men Gold. From what I can infer from other fans he is turning Kitty into Wesley Crusher. This is confusing as "The Wesley" is on tv tropes and should be easy to avoid writing such a character.

1) Don't have all other character say how awesome or how impressed they are with said character.
    2) Occasionally take the piss out of said character.

Hell an aggressive lancer can serve to challenge Kitty's leadership, and make sure that challenger not only has legitimate points, but not simply be a straw man or woman for kitty to knock down.

A lot of fans thought Hellion and Surge were horrible people, but Kyle and Yost used each character abrasive personality traits to make them sympathetic. Surge was leader of the New X-men she also destroyed her loving relationship with Prodigy out of a misguided poorly thought out attempt to protect him.
    Yeah, that idea was so bad it put Surge in a chokehold. She also went through major depression and PTSD from post-Messiah Complex to pre-AvX. At least she's still got her friends and is generally doing better, both emotionally and mentally. Can't say the same for Hellion.

Lurker

I really liked the O5 when they first arrived... but now they've worn out their welcome. I'm ready for them to return to their timeline. I hate that they killed off Dark Beast so that there wouldn't be three Beasts running around.

I can go with a fresh new start on both books.

To tell you the truth, the X-Men need some new blood.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

BANNED

They are both bad unimaginative books with pitches that never should've been greenlit.

Quote Originally Posted by oldscottsummers View Post
    Same. I hate the nostalgia crap of gold and I hate the 05.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    They are both bad unimaginative books with pitches that never should've been greenlit.
    I think the pitches are fine, it's the casts that really need work. Also Gold's handling has been generally subpar, both writing and art.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    I think the pitches are fine, it's the casts that really need work. Also Gold's handling has been generally subpar, both writing and art.
    Blue's pitch is really bad (alt universe team of overused characters!) which is probably why Marvel and Bunn lied about the pitch (the O5 are trained by their mortal enemy as they need to learn how to work together!)

Gold's pitch is bad because it's JUST nostalgia wank (and not even executed well), without any deeper subtext or subversion.