Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    That's a good point. Marvel has set a precedent for turning former X-men properties into Avengers properties. We may see that again with the Phoenix. If the Maximoff twins, two characters who had been closely tied to Magneto for decades, can be retconned, then no character is safe. The Phoenix Force is such an iconic figure in Marvel lore. Even though it mostly has X-men connotations, that wouldn't stop Marvel from trying to make it more Avengers-like. I think that process already started in Mighty Thor. Marvel Legacy may be another step in that process, making it part of the Avengers in 1,000,000 BC. This latest ploy may be the final step, a way to sever Phoenix from Jean Grey, the same way Marvel severed the Maximoff twins from Magneto. I'd rather not see that either. But they've done it before. They have an incentive to do it. There's really nothing any Marvel fan can do to stop them. It's sad, but that's the world we live in. So I think X-men fans should start bracing themselves for a future where the Phoenix Force is tied to the Avengers and NOT Jean Grey.
    Ok. Answer me this. What does the Phoenix look like? Because if the answer is she looks like Jean than you can't sidestep the legalities with a retcon. If she looks like a giant firebird you have the same problem because that's clearly an aspect of a x-character, not some nebulous offspring. If she doesn't look like either than whats the draw for Marvel to promote this? Also given Fox's upcoming movie property do you really think they would let the Phoenix slip through their fingers while there trying to promote their movie with the Pheonix in it? Maybe I'm missing something here.

That's a good point. Marvel has set a precedent for turning former X-men properties into Avengers properties. We may see that again with the Phoenix. If the Maximoff twins, two characters who had been closely tied to Magneto for decades, can be retconned, then no character is safe. The Phoenix Force is such an iconic figure in Marvel lore. Even though it mostly has X-men connotations, that wouldn't stop Marvel from trying to make it more Avengers-like. I think that process already started in Mighty Thor. Marvel Legacy may be another step in that process, making it part of the Avengers in 1,000,000 BC. This latest ploy may be the final step, a way to sever Phoenix from Jean Grey, the same way Marvel severed the Maximoff twins from Magneto. I'd rather not see that either. But they've done it before. They have an incentive to do it. There's really nothing any Marvel fan can do to stop them. It's sad, but that's the world we live in. So I think X-men fans should start bracing themselves for a future where the Phoenix Force is tied to the Avengers and NOT Jean Grey.
    I think Marvel would in a minute take as many X characters and add them to Avengers as they think they can. But Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver was slightly different and I hate the retcon they should be Magneto's kids. But they've had parent swaps in the past I mean for a few years Whizzer and Miss America was thought to be their parents. Also Wanda was also more tied to the Avengers over X-Books since she joined the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Redd View Post
    This will be a Cyclops/Avengers story by Jason Aaron.

No thanks.

It was done like 5 years ago already in AvX.
    AVX was still 50% a X-Men story and the Avengers treated the Phoenix force as a villain and threat.

Literally none of this is true and people should stop repeating this. Marvel doesn't pay anyone to merchandise their characters. Some corporations wrote Marvel checks to exclusively do movies about X-Men, F4, Namor and Hulk years ago, but Marvel is free to do whatever they want with all of their characters outside of the movies.

As for Phoenix on Avengers: it's already been announced, sadly.

You can expect Thor to be a part of this next Cyclops/Avengers Phoenix story.
    Allow me to clarify. By promoting the Phoenix alongside the Avengers (What Marvel seems to consider their core franchise) they are effectively augmenting the advertising budget of a direct competitor. So whether actually money changes hands is irrelevant because it's essentially free advertising for Fox properties.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    Allow me to clarify. By promoting the Phoenix alongside the Avengers (What Marvel seems to consider their core franchise) they are effectively augmenting the advertising budget of a direct competitor. So whether actually money changes hands is irrelevant because it's essentially free advertising for Fox properties.
    They are literally already promoting Phoenix on Avengers. Not just in Thor and other random Avengers stuff, but also the new Marvel promotional one-shot that's going to focus on the secret first Avengers team.
    Last edited by Disciple of Redd; 09-12-2017 at 07:38 PM.

They are literally already promoting Phoenix on Avengers. Not just in Thor and other random Avengers stuff, but also the new Marvel promotional one-stop that's going to focus on the secret first Avengers team.
    I get it but that a long way from being a full time member of the team. I'll believe it when I see the announcement from Marvel.

Oh my god, I just remembered something.

At the end of Astonishing X-Men #2, when Paniccia dropped those one word hints about future X-Men stories, he mentioned that he was working on a new project that would be out later in the year from a writer he was excited to work with. It's not Grand Design because that was already announced, so maybe it's this?

BANNED

If true (and BC has a pretty good track record with these things), then this is very promising. We're already seeing the setup unfolding in multiple books. Some of it played out in Mighty Thor. Some of it is playing out now in Jean Grey's solo series. It looks like we'll see more in Marvel Legacy. It seems as though Marvel is finally getting serious with the Phoenix Force. They've kept Jean dead for so long and have avoided resolving conflicts with the Phoenix Force for years. Perhaps this will reveal the ultimate destiny of the O5 X-men, as well as the fate of all the dead X-men characters that have remained in limbo for so long.

Ideally, I'd like to see this result in a return of an adult Jean Grey, Cyclops, Wolverine, and Charles Xavier. We're already seeing Xavier's return setting up. Perhaps the Phoenix Force will be the key to getting the rest of them back. However, we've been teased with Jean's return MANY times before. Marvel has usually avoided it for unknown reasons. O5 Jean has really established herself and I think Marvel likes having a Jean Grey without the baggage of her adult self. I have a feeling they'll drag that out as much as they need to.

Personally, I think there are two possibilities. The most likely, in my opinion, doesn't involve adult Jean returning. I think Marvel will keep the O5 X-men in the picture for a bit longer. But I think the Phoenix Force will return in some form and I think it'll have a role, possibly with the Avengers. Marvel seems to be setting that up with Marvel Legacy. Maybe that's the plan for the Phoenix, making it its own character and incorporating it into the Avengers books. It may be part of Jason Aaron's master plan and since he wrote X-men for a while, it might be something on his wish-list. If I were to put a number on this happening, I'd say it has about a 95 percent chance. Marvel has mixed and matched X-men and Avengers, despite their feud with Fox. They let Thing join Guardians of the Galaxy. They let Rogue join Uncanny Avengers. I think they'll let Phoenix join the Avengers. With X-men: Dark Phoenix coming out next year, as well as an Avengers movie, I think they'll see it as a chance to profit off of both.

The second possibility, and the one I really hope happens, involves this leading to Uncanny X-men's return. I think there's a reason why Marvel hasn't brought it back. They may be setting it up to return once a few major players come back to the picture. Astonishing X-men may be part of that process. Perhaps the Phoenix Force will complete it. If Uncanny X-men returns and has all its heavy hitters, including Charles Xavier, an adult Jean Grey, an adult Cyclops, and a non-Old Man Logan, I think that would be the strongest X-book in years. That's the route I would take if I were the editor at Marvel, but I'm not and I doubt that's going to be the case. It's not impossible, but it's not very probable either. It may end up being the case that O5 Jean rejects the Phoenix Force completely and they become completely separate beings. That would allow Marvel to have their cake and eat it too. That's what DC did with Rebirth in a lot of cases. I think Marvel wants to use the Phoenix, but doesn't want to be bound by circumstance.

But the Phoenix returning is a big deal. It will definitely shake things up at Marvel. It's just a matter of what form it'll take and how far Marvel will take it.
    Agreed, but I fear the worst: a stupid retcon that will completely dissolve the organic bond between the Phoenix and the X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by CuteClops View Post
    Agreed, but I fear the worst: a stupid retcon that will completely dissolve the organic bond between the Phoenix and the X-Men.
    Okay but something still doesn't make sense. Why usurp a premier character from the x-line and make them an avenger if you can't use them in the movies? What possible use could that serve Marvel that the Phoenix couldn't as easily serve in the x-titles? I mean even casual fans would know the Phoenix is a x-character due to the comics\fox movies so no newbie is going to go out looking for an avengers comic just to read the phoenix. What's to be gained?

BANNED

Okay but something still doesn't make sense. Why usurp a premier character from the x-line and make them an avenger if you can't use them in the movies? What possible use could that serve Marvel that the Phoenix couldn't as easily serve in the x-titles? I mean even casual fans would know the Phoenix is a x-character due to the comics\fox movies so no newbie is going to go out looking for an avengers comic just to read the phoenix. What's to be gained?
    To sell more Avengers comics.

X-Men characters and concepts in general are more popular outside of movies.

That's why they tie X-Men to whatever franchise they want to prop up, from Avengers, to Guardians, to Inhumans and back again.
    Last edited by Disciple of Redd; 09-12-2017 at 08:12 PM.

If true (and BC has a pretty good track record with these things), then this is very promising. We're already seeing the setup unfolding in multiple books. Some of it played out in Mighty Thor. Some of it is playing out now in Jean Grey's solo series. It looks like we'll see more in Marvel Legacy. It seems as though Marvel is finally getting serious with the Phoenix Force. They've kept Jean dead for so long and have avoided resolving conflicts with the Phoenix Force for years. Perhaps this will reveal the ultimate destiny of the O5 X-men, as well as the fate of all the dead X-men characters that have remained in limbo for so long.

Ideally, I'd like to see this result in a return of an adult Jean Grey, Cyclops, Wolverine, and Charles Xavier. We're already seeing Xavier's return setting up. Perhaps the Phoenix Force will be the key to getting the rest of them back. However, we've been teased with Jean's return MANY times before. Marvel has usually avoided it for unknown reasons. O5 Jean has really established herself and I think Marvel likes having a Jean Grey without the baggage of her adult self. I have a feeling they'll drag that out as much as they need to.

Personally, I think there are two possibilities. The most likely, in my opinion, doesn't involve adult Jean returning. I think Marvel will keep the O5 X-men in the picture for a bit longer. But I think the Phoenix Force will return in some form and I think it'll have a role, possibly with the Avengers. Marvel seems to be setting that up with Marvel Legacy. Maybe that's the plan for the Phoenix, making it its own character and incorporating it into the Avengers books. It may be part of Jason Aaron's master plan and since he wrote X-men for a while, it might be something on his wish-list. If I were to put a number on this happening, I'd say it has about a 95 percent chance. Marvel has mixed and matched X-men and Avengers, despite their feud with Fox. They let Thing join Guardians of the Galaxy. They let Rogue join Uncanny Avengers. I think they'll let Phoenix join the Avengers. With X-men: Dark Phoenix coming out next year, as well as an Avengers movie, I think they'll see it as a chance to profit off of both.

The second possibility, and the one I really hope happens, involves this leading to Uncanny X-men's return. I think there's a reason why Marvel hasn't brought it back. They may be setting it up to return once a few major players come back to the picture. Astonishing X-men may be part of that process. Perhaps the Phoenix Force will complete it. If Uncanny X-men returns and has all its heavy hitters, including Charles Xavier, an adult Jean Grey, an adult Cyclops, and a non-Old Man Logan, I think that would be the strongest X-book in years. That's the route I would take if I were the editor at Marvel, but I'm not and I doubt that's going to be the case. It's not impossible, but it's not very probable either. It may end up being the case that O5 Jean rejects the Phoenix Force completely and they become completely separate beings. That would allow Marvel to have their cake and eat it too. That's what DC did with Rebirth in a lot of cases. I think Marvel wants to use the Phoenix, but doesn't want to be bound by circumstance.

But the Phoenix returning is a big deal. It will definitely shake things up at Marvel. It's just a matter of what form it'll take and how far Marvel will take it.
    What part of marvel legacy involves the Phoenix?
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

No way Marvel puts Jean on an Avengers book. Too many issues with promoting and merchandising for a x-men character. Every Avengers tshirt, poster, etc. would require Marvel to write a cheque to Fox and that ain't gonna happen.

What a marvelous clusterf*ck bringing Jean back to live at this point would be. It would screw everything up which I am totally in favor of.
    Other mutants are already on an avengers team book. Jean / Phoenix coukd be too.

It's a simple solution really - all they have to do is not put Phoenix / jean on any merchandise.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Well, there are a lot of people talking about Wolverine possibly coming back and that possibly happening on Legacy #1, and Marvel said that one of the questions answered in that book is "Why has Jean Grey went to Canada?", so that seems pretty likely for me actually.
    Maybe she brings them both back, and herself, and gets rid of the time displaced O5?

Damn marvel...now I'm getting my hopes up... if this isn't adult Jean then I'll be super pissed.

Incredible Member StephenFoxMonster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CuteClops View Post
    The Phoenix will be an avenger now, so she/he will no longer be a 'villain', just like when she/he was an X-Men. So said the cbr site.

http://www.cbr.com/marvel-legacy-res...e-jean-grey/3/

CBR should finally accept that Cyclops was right. But that's never going to happen because they hate him.
    I think making The Phoenix an Avenger in this is just to have X-Men representation for the book. I don't think they are going to make Phoenix an Avenger past that BC book.