View Poll Results: Would you be satisfied if Peter/MJ became a couple again, not married?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would be satisfied if Peter/MJ became a couple again without marriage

30 65.22%
  • I would not be satisfied if Peter/MJ became a couple again without the marriage

12 26.09%
  • I don't want Peter/MJ to become a couple again

4 8.70%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default What would you think if Peter and MJ were a couple again, but did not marry?

As the thread title asks, what would you think if a writer decided to give the Peter/MJ pairing another go, but with full knowledge and audience understanding that they would not marry?

I'm curious what the consensus is around here.

I guess I could live with them just being together in a relationship, particularly if it meant that Mary Jane was once again an important part of the series' narrative again and in Peter's life.

Although I'd probably keep asking myself "why don't they just get married" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess I could live with them just being together in a relationship, particularly if it meant that Mary Jane was once again an important part of the series' narrative again and in Peter's life.

Although I'd probably keep asking myself "why don't they just get married" ?
    Editorial fiat.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

No because it would basically be saying the relationship was finite and would inevitably fall apart at a writer's whim again. Honestly if Peter and MJ got together people likely would prefer them married, and once they were, there would be no means for Marvel to legitimately break them apart again which wouldn't be mind numbingly stupid as OMD was.

Marriage or nothing for me.

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    No because it would basically be saying the relationship was finite and would inevitably fall apart at a writer's whim again. Honestly if Peter and MJ got together people likely would prefer them married, and once they were, there would be no means for Marvel to legitimately break them apart again which wouldn't be mind numbingly stupid as OMD was.

Marriage or nothing for me.
    I'm with you there. Besides, Peter's the marrying type. He wanted to marry Gwen before her death, proposed three times to Mary Jane, and even fantasized about marrying Felicia when they were dating. He's not the type to get together with a girl without marriage in mind.

Here's an article I found that comments on his state of mind:
    https://horselover107.tumblr.com/pos...-the-new-peter

As I said earlier, I would be fine if they came up with a new (well-written) love interest, even though MJ is my favorite. However, marriage would have to be the end goal.

I don't think I could generate interest in a "dating-only" situation for ASM; it's still a backtrack for this specific series and I'm not sure I'd trust it to be anything other than a provisional gimmick. Besides, I can get "dating" Spider-Man stories elsewhere when I want them.

Lightbulb

I'm okay with any of the options honestly.

On a related note. The main problem for me isn't Peter's & MJ's marriage, or lack thereof, rather that Mephisto in essence won during OMD. Until that is reversed in some fashion, I'll also feel 616 Peter is not truly my Spider-Man.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-17-2017 at 09:57 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member SilverWarriorWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post

On a related note. The main problem for me isn't Peter's & MJ's marriage, or lack thereof, rather that Mephisto in essence won during OMD. Until that is reserved in some fashion, I'll also feel 616 Peter is not truly my Spider-Man.
    I'll second this.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post

On a related note. The main problem for me isn't Peter's & MJ's marriage, or lack thereof, rather that Mephisto in essence won during OMD. Until that is reserved in some fashion, I'll also feel 616 Peter is not truly my Spider-Man.
    Honestly, I think every part of OMD bothers me .

Peter and MJ as an unmarried couple would certainly be far better than the way things are now. I would probably enjoy it. But "satisfied"? No.

I agree with Frontier. Everything about OMD bothers me.

Without a hard reboot - or at least straightening out the timeline into something less byzantine - it doesn't matter much what they do, other than to make the stories as good as possible. But long term investment in the characters . . . that ship sailed a long time ago.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vaegrin View Post
    Peter and MJ as an unmarried couple would certainly be far better than the way things are now. I would probably enjoy it. But "satisfied"? No.

I agree with Frontier. Everything about OMD bothers me.
    I feel the same exact way.
    I'd be glad about Peter and Mary Jane reuniting, but I wouldn't be satisfied if it wasn't marriage.
    I believe that their marriage should have never been erased in the first place.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

I'd be fine with it. The main issue is with the way the marriage freezes an element of the status quo in place. If Peter & MJ's relationship were to exist purely on its own merits, that's fine with me.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Spectacular Member

The way i see it, MJ is such a non enity at this point in the book that anything is better than nothing. Besides, if they got together as a dating couple, no matter what Marvel says, it would open the door to a marriage... That's a decision that is made or not made in the moment really, not something that is planned years in advance. Only way you can really avoid it is by not having a relationship at all.

BANNED

I'm in a unique position because I'm a fan of the newspaper strip and Renew Your Vows. I still get my marriage fix because of those, so I haven't exactly missed it.

I'd be ok if they got together without a marriage provided that a win over Mephisto and the two coming to terms with what they lost in OMD is part of the package deal. There's nothing to stop Marvel giving fans adequate closure while still having their cake and eating it.

When people demand OMD be resolved, that does not necessarily mean every one of them want the marriage to come back with it, they just want Peter to redeem himself. The fact Marvel have sat on this very concept for ten years with only a small percentage of material devoted to teasing a resolution (Spidey/Deadpool) is remarkably ridiculous.