Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    I thought there was no such thing as quality effecting sales?
    Quality helps only if someone is willing to read the book.

Part of the issue is someone has to read the book from the start versus later on. Which is why many take issue with these quick cancellations be it comics or tv shows.

Because it ignores outside factors.

Take network tv-how many new shows get axed during now to Thanksgiving?

How can a show that is new on say Thursday night survive Baseball playoffs, NFL football, college football, early college basketball, NBA starting up, NHL starting up, ABC's Thursday night and whatever CBS & NBC toss out? Especially if you are Fox or the CW? Let alone cable tv. We won't talk Monday night or Wednesday Night.

You can have the best quality show-how are you going to make it especially if you target the same folks who worship Scandal or Criminal Minds or whatever NBC has now.

Same with comics-

We saw it with Vision. A WAY better book than many we could all name that we have READ. I am sure Ninjak at Valiant is good but because it's VALIANT and not Marvel or DC-it gets ignored like Faith.

So for many books you have to get past issue 3 to warrant issues 7-12. Unless your name is Cyborg or Carol Danvers. Which is why many got mad about BP: The Crew. Preorders on Amazon.com at one point had higher sales than most books already out Heck BP WOW is a top 100 seller for all Superhero trades. While Moon Girl, Miles, Gwen, Hellcat & Squirrel Girl are there as well.

Quality can effect sales but as I keep saying someone has to give the writer a chance. The point Redjack was making.

No one knew who Alan Moore was.

Who was Priest? Just the guy who made Black Panther a seller and the starter of 11 years of solos for him.

Who was Liefied? Some guy who taught himself to draw and took over New Mutants and gave us Deadpool.

NO one knew who Blade was until Wesley Snipes said HELLO.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Those of that read Tomb of Dracula, Werewolf By Night, Morbius, the Living Vampire and Ghost Rider knew about Blade.

Astonishing Member

Part of the issue is someone has to read the book from the start versus later on. Which is why many take issue with these quick cancellations be it comics or tv shows.

Because it ignores outside factors.

Take network tv-how many new shows get axed during now to Thanksgiving?

How can a show that is new on say Thursday night survive Baseball playoffs, NFL football, college football, early college basketball, NBA starting up, NHL starting up, ABC's Thursday night and whatever CBS & NBC toss out? Especially if you are Fox or the CW? Let alone cable tv. We won't talk Monday night or Wednesday Night.

You can have the best quality show-how are you going to make it especially if you target the same folks who worship Scandal or Criminal Minds or whatever NBC has now.

Same with comics-

We saw it with Vision. A WAY better book than many we could all name that we have READ. I am sure Ninjak at Valiant is good but because it's VALIANT and not Marvel or DC-it gets ignored like Faith.

So for many books you have to get past issue 3 to warrant issues 7-12. Unless your name is Cyborg or Carol Danvers. Which is why many got mad about BP: The Crew. Preorders on Amazon.com at one point had higher sales than most books already out Heck BP WOW is a top 100 seller for all Superhero trades. While Moon Girl, Miles, Gwen, Hellcat & Squirrel Girl are there as well.

Quality can effect sales but as I keep saying someone has to give the writer a chance. The point Redjack was making.

Who was Priest? Just the guy who made Black Panther a seller and the starter of 11 years of solos for him.

Who was Liefied? Some guy who taught himself to draw and took over New Mutants and gave us Deadpool.

Copied because a lot of this rings true to me

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Tell that to 50 Shades of Grey.

There is no correlation between the "goodness" of a book and that book's sales. Zero.
    But now there is?

I never said that quality was the only factor, only that it was a factor, and shouldn't be ignored.

I am sure Ninjak at Valiant is good but because it's VALIANT and not Marvel or DC-it gets ignored like Faith.
    You could say this about any publisher. And actually, Valiant sells pretty well compared to other indie's, and I think the overall quality of their books has definitely helped with that.

Dude, I'm not even sure what you're getting at here. Of course companies should give writers a chance.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    I never said that quality was the only factor, only that it was a factor, and shouldn't be ignored.

Precisely. That point has been ignored time after time. We all know (I think) that there's no really, really strong relationship between quality and sales, but that's vastly different to saying there's no relationship at all.

It's like saying it's impossible to predict sales...yes that's obviously true if you mean predict sales with pinpoint accuracy. But sales can be predicted with better than random success.

Two new comics oming to market...one a Wolverine comic written by Grant Morrison, the second The Mad Thinker written by Johnnie Newcomer. No bookmaker will offer me evens that Grant will outsell Johnnie! Because sales are predictable to some extent.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    We are talking about his comic.
    But the show is based off the comic. Using the same characters and rouges to tell a compelling story. Luke Cage written right could have a Wolverine type of appeal but it has to be nurtured the right way I.e not cancelled.

That being said one has to wonder with similar sales why was BP and The Crew cancelled quick fast and in a hurry but other books with similar #s allowed to remain?