Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Action Comics #987 SPOILERS

What? Surely I'm not the only one here who buys their comics digitally at midnight...... don't judge me.
    Anyway, whoa, this issue gave us a giant swerve, I didn't see coming. Dc really is a master of misdirection because even after all the leaks, rumors, misleading variant covers it turns out Mr Oz is really:
    .................................................. ..............
    spoilers:
    HA! I was kidding, it was Jor-El like we all pretty much knew at this point. Though I wouldn't rule out that theory about him really being Zor-Em. Because Jor-El, is totally a monster here, which makes me suspicious that things aren't as they seem. I guess we'll find out for sure in a few weeks. Anyway, art was pretty great, nice seeing Lombard, Maggie and the rest of the Planet. Solid first chapter, even if Oz's has pretty cliche motivations.
    end of spoilers

BANNED

It hasn't shown up yet in my digital subscriptions. Normally it takes about another four hours from now for new releases to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    It hasn't shown up yet in my digital subscriptions. Normally it takes about another four hours from now for new releases to show up.
    I bought it off IBooks.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    I bought it off IBooks.
    Sounds like that app gets comics a few hours early.

I am jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Sounds like that app gets comics a few hours early.

I am jealous.
    A few years back I had a bunch of Itunes gift cards to get rid of, not the kind of person who's all that into music, so I spent it all on comics on comics from IBooks. And so that kinda became where I buy my dc comics (not much marvel there). But maybe I shouldn't set up a thread this early again.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

What? Surely I'm not the only one here who buys their comics digitally at midnight...... don't judge me.
    Anyway, whoa, this issue gave us a giant swerve, I didn't see coming. Dc really is a master of misdirection because even after all the leaks, rumors, misleading variant covers it turns out Mr Oz is really:
    .................................................. ..............
    spoilers:
    HA! I was kidding, it was Jor-El like we all pretty much knew at this point. Though I wouldn't rule out that theory about him really being Zor-Em. Because Jor-El, is totally a monster here, which makes me suspicious that things aren't as they seem. I guess we'll find out for sure in a few weeks. Anyway, art was pretty great, nice seeing Lombard, Maggie and the rest of the Planet. Solid first chapter, even if Oz's has pretty cliche motivations.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Well, the variant for the next issue shows Jor-El getting transported literally as the explosion on Krypton is happening, so I assume that is why he has all those scars. Plus maybe stuff went down with manhattan, I really don't think this is a fake out.
    end of spoilers

It concerns me to hear that spoilers:
    he's being described as brutally evil. I was worried with the preview but was hoping things would be less drastic than it seemed there. From every review I've seen so far (okay, only three including this one), they all say he's moustache-twirling evil. That's so against the way he's been characterized up to this point. That's just really cheap. Twist reveals should still leave things making sense when you look back. In fact it should make things make MORE sense when you look back. That's the sign of a well executed twist. The personality and demeanor here makes no sense with what we've seen of this character before now.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-12-2017 at 10:41 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It concerns me to hear that spoilers:
    he's being described as brutally evil. I was worried with the preview but was hoping things would be less drastic than it seemed there. From every review I've seen so far (okay, only three including this one), they all say he's moustache-twirling evil. That's so against the way he's been characterized up to this point. That's just really cheap. Twist reveals should still leave things making sense when you look back. In fact it should make things make MORE sense when you look back. That's the sign of a well executed twist. The personality and demeanor here makes no sense with what we've seen of this character before now.
    end of spoilers
    Well, sometimes bad guys actually hold themselves till the point when their true nature is revealed and they are actually nuts. For example: Senator Palpatine as The Emperor from Star Wars. Remember how intimidating he was, but when Jedi came to arrest him, he went over the top crazy?

spoilers:
    Oh he's definitely mustache twirling evil, But as for your point on consistency, idk, does his behavior contradict anything from before? He never came off as deranged, as he's now been revealed to be, but at the same time, Oz's only real personality trait before now has been how enigmatic he is. It's was often hinted that he cares about Kal and his family, but humans? I don't remember, it's very likely he has and I'm just forgetting. One thing that I was going to call out was that he's missing his left eye. I could have swore we've seen both his eyes before.
    Anyway Jor-El is being a complete hypocrite, if Kryptonians were so much better than humans, morality wise, why would they need the Phantom Zone?
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 09-12-2017 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatKungLao View Post
    Well, sometimes bad guys actually hold themselves till the point when their true nature is revealed and they are actually nuts. For example: Senator Palpatine as The Emperor from Star Wars. Remember how intimidating he was, but when Jedi came to arrest him, he went over the top crazy?
    holding back for 79 years is an incredibly impressive acomplishment

spoilers:
    Oh he's definitely mustache twirling evil, a little disappointed they're going for the old, humans are awful and deserve to die! motivation for him. Especially since if Kryptonians were so great, why would they need the Phantom Zone? But as for your point on consistency, but does his behavior contradict anything from before? He never came off as deranged, as he's now been revealed to be, but at the same time, Oz's only real personality trait before now has been how enigmatic he is. It's was often hinted that he cares about Kal and his family, but humans? I don't remember, it's very likely he has and I'm just forgetting. One thing that I was going to call out was that he's missing his left eye. I could have swore we've seen both his eyes before.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    The only time he had normal face was non-Superman related comic book series, like Detective Comics. Superman and Action Comics always had his left side been hide in the shadow. Though if I recall correctly, he had left eye during Geoff's run.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    Oh he's definitely mustache twirling evil, But as for your point on consistency, idk, does his behavior contradict anything from before? He never came off as deranged, as he's now been revealed to be, but at the same time, Oz's only real personality trait before now has been how enigmatic he is. It's was often hinted that he cares about Kal and his family, but humans? I don't remember, it's very likely he has and I'm just forgetting. One thing that I was going to call out was that he's missing his left eye. I could have swore we've seen both his eyes before.
    Anyway Jor-El is being a complete hypocrite, if Kryptonians were so much better than humans, morality wise, why would they need the Phantom Zone?
    end of spoilers
    WAIT A MINUTE

spoilers:
    end of spoilers

This is from Geoff's run image, isn't it? So I guess his indentity was truly decided way back then as Dan Jurgens said.

BUT THEN AGAIN, this is also from Geoff's run

So, where is the lie?
    Last edited by GreatKungLao; 09-12-2017 at 11:07 PM.

WAIT A MINUTE
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    This is from Geoff's run image, isn't it? So I guess his indentity was truly decided way back then as Dan Jurgens said.
    oh crap, you're right! (yeah that's totally JRJR's art so, that'd be from the Johns run.) I'm going through google images and yeah, his left eye is always obscured. I just never noticed

oh crap, you're right! (yeah that's totally JRJR's art so, that'd be from the Johns run.) I'm going through google images and yeah, his left eye is always obscured. I just never noticed
    Detective Comics #947 was the one that screwed it up a bit

This is true but Sidious was always putting on a front for an audience. The viewers were seeing a ploy that he was putting on for the benefit of fooling other characters. It was a part he was playing to throw off the Jedi and virtually anyone he interacted who wasn't his apprentice or when he wasn't hidden behind his robes and a projector. So there was a reason in the very plot for the differences. Mostly everything we've seen Mr. Oz do up until he's done alone. The viewers never saw him in a position where he had to put on a front for anyone. He's only ever interacted with anyone a few times and before now his persona was quite consistent. So there's no precedent on why it'd be beneficial for him to act different in regards to hiding anything from anyone as far as the story goes.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-12-2017 at 11:20 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El