Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    According to the CBR article, Johns says it THE Jor-El, meaning not an alternate universe Jor-El, but the real one. Johns also said that it was always Jor-El.
    Yeah, I'd check this if I were you

Scene to come:

Jor-El is pontificating to Superman again, and suddenly he collapses in pain. Despite everything Superman goes to him instinctively and when Jor-El raises his head, his left eye opens, and a softening of his facial features takes place and utters "Kal-El...don't...don't...listen..." then he lurches again, and when he rises he's asshole Mr. Oz again.

This sets up a the beginning of a mind-control plot device.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Mess with Clark's image of his birth father, have that "birth father" negatively influence Jon, all of which may lead to Clark leaving Earth, perhaps heading towards a certain red planet to get his thoughts together...
    Spurious versions, fundamentally wrongheaded premises, can, and often do, prevail from time to time, but eventually the character, Superman himself, Tulpa Superman, will–somehow, somehow–resist and reverse that meddling, reconstituting himself in the world as he means to be. ~Alvin Schwartz (paraphrased by Tom deHaven)

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Man View Post
    Mess with Clark's image of his birth father, have that "birth father" negatively influence Jon, all of which may lead to Clark leaving Earth, perhaps heading towards a certain red planet to get his thoughts together...
    I can see Superman leaving Earth as a result of the OZ Effect storyline.

Incredible Member

They should never have touched Jor-El. Never. A scientist that saved the Kryptonian legacy by saving his son and letting him forge a new destiny for the race. It's beautiful and timeless. Trash that in favor of something new is bad, bad, bad. It's like letting Thomas Wayne and Uncle Ben survive and become villains.

This is totally a ruse of some sort. You can smell it!
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
    They should never have touched Jor-El. Never. A scientist that saved the Kryptonian legacy by saving his son and letting him forge a new destiny for the race. It's beautiful and timeless. Trash that in favor of something new is bad, bad, bad. It's like letting Thomas Wayne and Uncle Ben survive and become villains.
    It's still better than making the Amazons a bunch of child-murderers, and potentially rapists.

I'm beginning to feel like this is a trick like others have said. bringing Jor el back just for him to be villainous, really? reminds me of cyborg supergirl's dad. I could get him being mroally ambigious but they seem to be setting him up as pure evil now, which seems ...wrong.
    "You can't be everywhere, you can't do it all"
    "I'm not Batman, I have friends."
    "But listen, call yourself Bat-Chick, Knightbat, or Black Robin- the point is, don't forget- you have a family."
    "You don't need me. This is a job for.........Alfred!" -Tim Drake

"Dear Diary, I know what my next science project is going to be called: "My love/hate relationship with Gravity........And it was only then that young Stephanie truly realized gravity would forever be her enemy. "-Stephanie Brown

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

I kind of figured why Mr Oz is so interested with Jon. He sees him as his chance to fix his "mistake" he did with his own son. He most likely realizes that there is no chance for him to reshape who Superman is, but he can do that with young mind of Jon Kent.

They blew it here by not bringing Sam Lane back sooner. Had they brought him back into the fold when Rebirth started, and capitalized on building the relationship with Jon with the secret in the air and the already existing complications with his daughter and son-in-law, we could be at the point now where we could have a cool juxtaposition of the radical grandfather on one end of the spectrum and the (former, if I had my way) radical grandfather on the other end. Built up right we could've even had a defining moment for grandfather and grandson where its Sam himself that helps turn Jon away from hatred.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
    It's still better than making the Amazons a bunch of child-murderers, and potentially rapists.
    It's practically my job to agree with you on that. (https://www.themarysue.com/wonder-wo...nal-narrative/.)

And, of course, we've only just seen the first issue of bitter, manipulative, kidnapping Jor-El. (Well, we've seen him as Mr. Oz. But this is the first we've seen of him as Jor-El.)

But I think the same problem lurks behind both: not realizing what really, truly works for a character and his or her origin - on a core, thematic level - and instead going for shock value and "Everything You Know Is Wrong!".

I hope they'll nip this one in the bud fast, so we don't have to go through a year of Superman's The Lies and Superman's The Truth in five years.

But that's just me.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Incredible Member

My theory: I think Dr. Manhattan saved Jor-El, and "desconstructed" him, showing him the worst of humanity, etc etc until he became what he is.
    This is to, I think, test Superman, and will lead to Doomsday Clock

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    It's practically my job to agree with you on that. (https://www.themarysue.com/wonder-wo...nal-narrative/.)

And, of course, we've only just seen the first issue of bitter, manipulative, kidnapping Jor-El. (Well, we've seen him as Mr. Oz. But this is the first we've seen of him as Jor-El.)

But I think the same problem lurks behind both: not realizing what really, truly works for a character and his or her origin - on a core, thematic level - and instead going for shock value and "Everything You Know Is Wrong!".

I hope they'll nip this one in the bud fast, so we don't have to go through a year of Superman's The Lies and Superman's The Truth in five years.

But that's just me.
    That's me too. I don't need the mess Azzarello made with Wonder Woman in Superman books. They should have made his run an Elseworld.

But so far that's not what I'm seeing here. I'm not exactly happy with Jor-El being Oz either, but neither do I see Jor-El as someone, who must not be touched.

He was whisked a way at the very moment of the destruction of Krypton, SAW his planet and his wife die, and we don't know what else has been done to him in the decades that followed.
    His actions in this comic were too extreme, I agree with that, but there is still a lot of room to work with.
    He could be influenced.
    He could be trying extreme meassures to save his son again, because he has an incling about what is coming and isn't sure Clark will survive, and knows that telling Superman about the future will only make him want to fight it.
    He could be a ruse by Dr. Manahatten to try to unsettle Superman and make him face a "real" world instead of the "fantasy" he is living in.

So far we have only one comic and can't judge what they are going for.

If it turns out it's the Wonder Woman situation I will start to be angry too.
    Last edited by Stardust; 09-17-2017 at 01:35 AM.

I had to laugh reading this issue. Oz is saying how bad and awful humans are and yet he's having them doing the things that he is complaining about.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."